My remington scoremaster .22 rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by MrWray, Sep 26, 2011.

1. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a remington scoremaster .22 magazine fed bolt action rifle. It was my grandmothers as long as i can remember and i aquired it after she passed away in 2007. I was raised by my grandmother and remember shooting it as a kid. It is chambered to shoot .22 shorts and long rifle, and i have 2, 5 round magazines for it. Does anyone know the history of these rifles. It has proof marks on it but i cant find a serial number

View attachment 1

image-2454385348.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i cant help you much but i did want to sa its a great .22 my uncle has one and has since he was a kid. it is still super accurate and fun to shoot

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

She used to tell me stories about her squirrel and rabbit hunting with her .22 rifle whenever she was a kid. I think this is the same rifle that she was referring to

4. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Great family gun there and looks to be in good shape.

Remington's .22 bolt guns have always been good and even the *cheaper* models were accurate shooters.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

She doesnt get shot very much anymore but i keep her well lubed and wiped down

6. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

That would be a perfect gun for a youngster to learn on. ;)

ps: Your 1st attachment in the OP brings us to a Taurus revolver.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Yessir,my son is 8 now and i plan on handing it down to him in a few years....a taurus revolver you say

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's a Remington 511, built from 1939 to 1963.

To determine the build date, value and the variant of the 511, provide me with the answers to the following:
    1. There is a two or three letter code stamped on the barrel at the receiver end. What is that code?
    2. Is the rear sight mounted on the receiver or the barrel?
    3. Is the barrel a smoothbore? (For .22 LR shot cartridges)
    4. Are there more photos showing detail? (sights, stampings etc.)

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

It's on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver and will look something like this:

[​IMG]

My first rifle was a Remington 512 Sportmaster, that I still have, and all the Rem. 5-teen's are great shooting and reliable guns. While they are not extremely valuable, they have a lot of good memories associated with them.

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

image-3785040795.jpg

image-2970712441.jpg

It has a rifled bore and the rear sight is attached to the barrel

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

It almost looks like it could be DRR.. The bottom part of the letters didnt seem to imprint

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

DRR works better than DFF. ;)

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

And on the right side of the barrel in front of the receiver it has a small proof mark and the number 25 upside down

image-1918080568.jpg

15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I acquired a 514 Scoremaster a few months ago for $25. The previous owners said it wasnt accurate. The bolt was hard or impossible to open and close. The first thing I did was take the side mount scope off. The mounting screws were interfearing with the bolt. I made a rear sight to replace the missing origional. When I shot it the first time, I was extremely thrilled with the 1 inch group at 50 yds. To me, it is a tack driver that can definately out shoot me. At times I feel guilty aboue what I paid for it. They are great guns that preform well.

16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, my old Rem. 512 shoots nickle sized groups at 50 yards with Fed. 550 Bulk Box ammo despite being 69 years old. I will say I had to put a scope on it for the benefit of my old eyes, the irons got pretty hard to see. :cool:

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Yup, mine is not at all fussy what you put down the tube. When I got mine I got a baggy with several differant kinds of ammo. I could hear the dif but it didnt seem to have an affect on accuracy.