My Remington 700 Target Rifle

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by mrm14, Jan 6, 2010.

1. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Heres a couple of pictures of my long range target rifle project that arrived from McMillan yesterday. It's arrival at this time come as a plesant surprise to me as it wasn't supposed to be done until April 2010. I've yet to have decided on which scope I want to use because I thought I would have until April or May of this year to make this decision.

Krieger barreled it with a 28", #9 contour MTU barrel, Fox River muzzel break, trued the reciever, and parkerized. McMcMillan fit, inlet and bedded their A-5 stock to the gun.

This rifle has the Jewell trigger, Badger Ordance detachable magazine bottom metal, PT&G fireing pin, and McCanns Industires +20 MOA scope mount.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Here's the second picture of my rifle. Remington 700 Target Rifle 030.jpg

The caliber is .300 Win Mag

3. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Wow. Well done sir. What caliber? And your going to have a tough time finding the right glass for that thing, there's great deals everywhere. Another question, how much does it weight?

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

It's in 300 Win. Mag. I have 1000 rounds of .210 gr. Berger boattail long range target bullets, 1000 rounds of 190 gr. SMK boat tail target bullets, 500 rounds of new Nosler brass, 1000 Federal #215 primers. and 8 lbs. of IMR 4350.

Scope is not a problem, I'll be buying it from CS Tactical. (I get a 10% discount there due to the club I'm affilated with) I just havn't decided which one I want to use yet for this rifle. I've been looking at Night Force, Premiere Reticle, and Ziess.

This is a 1000 yard target project and will be used at the 600 yard line as well.

The weight of this rifle as of today is just a tad over 13 lbs. That weight includes the bi-pod the +20 MOA scope mount, and an empty 5 round AI magazine. The scope and the rings will add some more weight. My target weight was 14 lbs. I think it might weight closer to 15 to 15.5 lbs. when the scope and rings are added.

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I'm leaning toward the Premier Reticle scope. The one I've been looking at is the 5-25X56mm with a 34 mm tube. It comes with their Gen 2 Mill Dot and Gen 2 XR reticle. I think I'll go with the Gen 2 XR reticle. I'll be running milled glass with milled knobs whatever I buy as they work quicker for me. Also I'll either use Wern or Seekins scope rings.

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Very nice stick! :)

When did Premier get back into business? I'm REALLY glad to see they will still honor their warranty on my VX-III (6.5x20 MIL dot) :D

That's the best news I've gotten today!

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I'm not sure when they got back into business. Their web site says the gentleman who started the company passed in Dec. 2005. The first I herd of them was in October 2009. Actually, quite a few folks in the long range shooting club made a group purchase of these scopes in November and that is when I started checking them out.

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Thanks for the info CP. The Schmidt & Bender scopes look real good and are well within my scope budget for this project. Also, can get them here close by and possibly a slight club discount to boot. I'll be going down to Stockton next weekend to the shop that stocks the scopes that I've been checking out. (they also have Schmidt & Bender in stock)

In the meanwhile, I'll be putting one of my other scopes on this rifle and head out Sunday to break in, or better said "polish out the throat" of my new barrel.

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

O.K. So I spoke to C&S and bought the Premiere Reticle 5-25X56mm scope and the Badger rings to go with it. The scope will be in, in about 10 days. I almost bought the Schmidt Bender scope but found out that the Premiere scope was designed by the same outfit that designed the Schmidt Bender scope. Also, if theres a warranty issue you have to send the Schmidt Bender to Germany for repair which can take up to 3 months. The Premiere has a lifetime warranty.

Alas, the cost of this rifle is continueing to go up, however, I'm still within my alloted budget for it.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I think either one will would have done you good. Can't wait to see your set up and just how good it shoots.

11. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

IS that a factory rem 700 long action with a bit of work or is it some high dollar aftermarket varient?

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

No, this is a stock Remington reciever that has been worked over as much as possble. The only things stock of this rifle are the reciever housing and the bolt. The frieing pin is a PT&G. I stripped all other things off before build. In retrospect for only a few hundred dollars more I could have had an aftermarket custom billet reciever and had the rifle built from that. As this a starter rifle for me to get proficient beyond 600 yards I didn't see the advantage of going to a billet custom reciever. The next rifle I build, which most be likely the end of this year or a tad longer from now, will have a custom aftermarket billet reciever and be chambered in either 6mm or 6.5mm BR. Not decided yet. I am and have been a big bore guy for quite a number of years now. I know not practical for scoring points in competition overall, but I started with what I know.

BTW what do you think of my gel coat color selection for this A-5 stock? Some local here think it's cool others think I've commited a crime for what I did with color selection for this kind of stock.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. LotzORemmies

LotzORemmies New Member

Jealousy is an ugly thing. I think it looks incredible.

14. Hot Sauce NARC

ya i really like it. Its not much of a "tactical" look but it looks sweet for competition......Nice Build

15. Hot Sauce NARC

What are you planning to do with your bolt handle, cause im trying to decide what to do with mine. In your pictures it looks like you kept the stock bolt handle and knob?

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

For now I'm going to leave the bolt handle stock. I dont see the merit for a tactical bolt handle on a target only rifle at this time. However, I may go for a tactical bolt handle later. PT&G bolt assembly with a choice of several bolt handles would be the way I'd go. They say that the PT&G bolt assemblies can improve accuracy of the rifle.

I really want to see what a trued factory bolt assembly can do before I change out the bolt in my rifle for the PT&G bolt.

17. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You may like it but that is way to much going on in a reticle for me to deal with.

I think it pulls your eye away from the center when the reticle should draw your eye to the center. But then again it took me how long to even think about buying an AR....

It is a sweet scope you got there.