my refinished Mosin Nagant rifle from 1943

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by saviorslegacy, Mar 18, 2010.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I bought this rifle on my seventeenth birthday at a gun show in Ohio. The gun only cost me about 107$. The rest of my money went towards ammo. About .25 a round, not bad IMO.
    Anyways, the gun has been setting at home waiting for me to refinish it. I finally got around to doing it this weekend. My father showed me what to do, but about 95% to 90% of the work was from me (the 5% / 10% was from him showing me what to do). I probably got close to 13 or 14 hours into this gun. It was, the first gun that I have ever done. I am quit proud of it.

ps I did not sand off most of the original finish because there are inspection stamps all over it. That the original finish + the new finish gives it a beat up look. I want it to be beat up because this is a World War 2 weapon and has been beat up. I want the stock to have the ruggedness that the metal has.

So, here are the pics! (I would like it if someone would tell me some stuff about the stamps and any other aspect of the weapon):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are all of the matching serial numbers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is where the weapon has been repaired... or something:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the brace:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

And here are the last two photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The wood splints are arsenal repairs to the stock. They're correct for the rifle. The "brace" is called a barrel band.

Take it out and shoot it at dusk and enjoy the light show. ;)

7. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Very cool. I wanna pick up another one soon. I'd like to get the synthetic stock for one and keep one original.

8. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Arsenal repairs? What does that mean?

I take it it has a rather large muzzle flash.... cool.
    There are a lot of stuff for these now. You could put a synthetic stock on it, a laser sight, flash light and a night vision scope if you wanted too. They also make extra big bolts for them.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Nice work! That piece deserves the care and respect you've obviously shown it..

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

11. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

hahahahahaaa!!! I liked comparison....Outstanding!

13. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I found that last night. lol

14. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Range Report
    Today was probably the first time that the gun had been shot since WW2. When I got the gun the barrel still had cosmoline in it, so I know that it hasn't been shot since they dipped it.
    The gun shoots pretty good. It shoots a tad low, but I adjusted the sights to fix that. I ran about 52 bullets through it today with no problem. It is a very sturdy gun.
    Now my arm is bruised. -_-
    The thing kicks like a freakin mule. The only thing that I have shot that beats it, is a slug gun.

ps I had a couple of fire balls. :)

15. waxman895

waxman895 New Member

i feel ur pain i just got my 91/30 on presidents day and it does kick like a mule. That and the stock is a little short on me so i ended up hitting my nose to haha but, this may help with the recoil, Recoil Pad, Solid Rubber, Black, 1"