My Range, My Alowances

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by SGWGunsmith, May 15, 2018.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I encourage every single one of my customers to bring it, and we'll shoot it. It simply amazes me as to what shows up around here. You ever hear, or read about a "3 gauge punt gun"? These guns were mounted onto the gunwale of a dang row-boat and used by market hunters to kill a whole friggen flock of duck with one pull of the trigger.
    I've had some of these locals bring artillery that their dads and grandfathers smuggled home from wars fought. One of my most memorable experiences was when my uncle Wally and my Dad were shooting a German Schmeiser at a barn and burning up over 300 rounds of 9 mm Luger ammunition. But, the best engrossing fun I've personally encountered, was shooting an original 1928 M1 A1 Thompson using a 50 round drum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

rock185 likes this.
  2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

In the mid-1990s I worked for a man who's father was a very wealthy architect and an avid gun collector. The Father had very deep pockets and it showed in his collection. He also had a passion for machine guns and had dozens of them. When you walked into his two shooter automated gun range, in his basement, the first thing that caught the eye was a WWII .50 cal, on a tripod. (display only in that location) He not only liked to collect guns, he got a hoot out of shooting his machine guns. I made several trips with son, father and a couple of other friends to the local police range where we would proceed to shoot up more ammo than I could pay for with a year's savings. One of the men who shot with us is still one of the largest class three dealers in the country. You have seen his ads....

The gun that I liked the most, and I can not recall the model or maker, shot 22 lr from a plastic drum that held some huge number of rounds (300 is what I remember, but that may not be correct) The thing cycled so fast that you heard a noise like a turbine running full tilt, not individual detonations. It would disintegrate paper targets in a flash, yet the recoil was such that you could actually hold it somewhere close to the point of aim. I also enjoyed shooting a Sten, but the owner would only allow three rounds loaded into it at the time as it was known to go ballistic and dump a mag no matter what you did on the trigger. He never let us shoot the Thompson although his son said he would air it out on occasion.

Some of the guns that I recall from the man's collection was the above mentioned Thompson that had been retired from the Chicago police dept. It had been demilled on retirement and the owner took years to find the right smith to restore it. He had a highly engraved 1911 that Nixon had made to give to the Shah of Iran. It was a bit too gaudy for my tastes, but I would't have thrown it out. The man also liked wheel guns, and had some kind of deal with Smith and Wesson that allowed him to get two low-numbered consecutive serialized units of every revolver they released. (He had a lot of NIB Smiths)

It was fun while it lasted, but I was not a big enough dog to hang out in that kind of deep grass. I had a falling out with the son over business ethics and quit. The old man is now dead, and the son has become a wealthy developer and probably inherited the collection. Just goes to show, lack of business ethics can equate to making big bucks. Keeping the moral high ground lets you sleep at night, but does nothing for the bank account. I like sleeping.

SRK97 likes this.