my px4 shoots low.

Discussion in 'Beretta Forum' started by infidel686, Sep 30, 2013.

1. infidel686

infidel686 New Member

I bought a px4 full size in 9mm a while back and after about 1000 rounds it still shoots low. Some of my reloads do better but still group about 5 inches low. Other than this I love the pistol. Has anyone else had this issue?

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Was that from a vise or solid rest?

3. AR10

AR10 New Member

If you are shooting low groups, change your sight picture till your groups are higher.

4. infidel686

infidel686 New Member

Almost all my shooting is done with sandbags across the hood of my jeep. Pretty solid rest. I've thought about filing the front sight a little. Could that work?

5. AR10

AR10 New Member

Once you have the gun hitting your target, you have the sight picture required to make your gun work. Don't file on your gun, work mentally with whatever sight picture is correct.

I never look to purchase a handgun with adjustable sights, I prefer simple fixed sights. I learn to shoot each gun and make mental adjustments.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

That's what I'd do. Five inches off is too much even at 25 yards. I'd also see if shorter replacements are available from beretta.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What sight picture are you using? Is the black of the target sitting on top of the front post like a lollipop or is the top if the front sight in the middle of the bullseye (x-ring) in a center of target hold? What distance to the target? Some guns are set up for different sight pictures. I found most of my US made guns were set up for a 6 o'clock hold while my Sig is set up for a dead center hold at 25 yds. Hits at shorter distances are usually a little lower than at 25 yds. My match 1911 is set up for a 6 o'clock hold to put rounds in the x-ring at 50 yds.

If your gun is continuing to hit low with your preferred sight picture, and if it has dovetailed front sights, you can find out what height your front sight is and order a shorter one from Brownells or Midway, or other gun parts outfit.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

You could also try a heavier bullet. Counterintuitively, at closer ranges, heavier bullets tend to shoot a bit higher. I don't know if it's entirely true (yes, it's hearsay on my part), but I've been told that a lot of Euro pistols are engineered to shoot the 124 gr ammo.
    Before you start buying files and new sights, if you're using 115s, try 124s (or 124s to 147s). It might save you a bit of trouble.

If it continues, try this: http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-series-adjustable-rear-sight-and-front-sight/e00457/
    I stuck an adj rear on my CZ, couldn't be happier.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It is true that you won't know until you try. But in a given handgun caliber a heavier bullet is often lower velocity, then it hits lower.

10. infidel686

infidel686 New Member

Thank you everyone. I think I may try to find a shorter front or adjustable rear sight.that sounds like the best option to me. I don't want to have one pistol that I have to aim different than the rest. Just want to pick it up and go

11. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

Just a thought but check to see if you're pistol is still under warranty. I had a similar issue with my P226 they set the wrong front sight.I called Sig Sauer they paid for shipping replaced my front sight and had it back to me within a week.

12. bsteve2

bsteve2 New Member

I just purchased a 45 cal. PX4 Storm. Tested accuracy with 50 rounds. Poor results compared to my 1911. Does anyone know a location of a sighting diagram? I read several confusing and somewhat contradictory verbiage to proper sighting. The manual directs user to have desired target area to sit on top of centered front sight. This may be my problem. I am dead on with my 1911 when centered front sight is directly over desired target area. Thanks

13. Mercator

Mercator New Member

This Beretta, because of the rotary locking system, has a different recoil impulse. The more you get used to a 1911, the more effort it might take to adjust. As for the sights, I wouldn't bother with a diagram. Mount a sight-in target and slowfire from a vise or a heavy sandbag. It will take one loaded mag to know all there is to it.

14. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I have a PX4 in .40 and being a Marine, I also fire the M9 somewhat regularly. I've probably fired twenty different M9s over the years and I've just come to the conclusion that Berretas shoot lower than my other pistols if I use the same sight picture. My first day on the range for pistol is always me trying to get my groups up into the black. The PX4 is actually one of my favorite pistols, but if I don't shoot it often, I'll find myself low through about my first mag.

15. SSGN_Doc

Not always at closer range. The arc of the bullets path is steeper for heavier bullets at lower velocity. At closer range the bullet is still climbing on the upward half if the arc. So if the target is closer the bullet would be passing through the paper at an earlier and lower portion of the arc before reaching the peak (apex) of the arc, farther down range.

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

infidel,

I would contact *Beretta and advise them of you situation. I am sure it is not the first one that they have dealt with regarding this issue. As Sig advised things such as sights not in spec is possible.

17. Mercator

Mercator New Member

So a heavier slower bullet may hit higher than a faster lighter bullet. Do you have an example of such difference and at what range?

18. SSGN_Doc

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm

Here is a link to a ballistics table. If you look down at the 9mm loads, you can see that the path at 25 yds puts the heavy bullets on a higher arc.

It holds true for most other calibers as well.

The chart doesn't go out far enough to show that those bullets also begin to drop pretty fast at long range but they hold velocity better due to momentum. In rifles this is part of the reason heavy bullets are used in ARs for long range shooting out to 600 yds and beyond, over using faster, lighter bullets.

It is why I specified the higher point of impact at shorter ranges with heavy or slower loads. The OP indicated he was shooting at a distance of 16.5 (but didn't specify, feet, yds, or meters).

When shooting service pistol matches I note that most of my loads in 9mm and .45 hit lower at 25 yds than at 50yds. That is because the bullet is still on its upward angle until after 50 yds.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  19. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I have compared the POI of 115gr @1200 fps to 158 gr @950 fps, both Fiocchi 9 mm out of a G17 at 15 yards. It was close enough but the subsonics hit lower. This is a consistent observation. The link did not work by the way, but I read Chuck Hawks and respect his opinions.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Tried the link again and got the chart. A 0.2" difference at 25 yards. There could be many variables unaccounted for, I suppose.