My on-going saga to purchase a gun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by knfxda, Jun 12, 2011.

1. knfxda

knfxda New Member

My goal is to buy a 9mm semi-automatic that I shoot well and that my wife is willing to shoot.

I started my quest with the GLOCK G17 and determined that the guns on my short-list were the G17, the S&W M&P9, and the SA XD(m)9. Since my 1st time shooting, I've shot the following:

Beretta 92FS
    Beretta Px4 Storm
    CZ P07
    CZ 75 Compact
    GLOCK G17
    SA XDm9
    SIG Sauer P226 (9mm)
    SIG Sauer P229 (.40)
    S&W M&P9
    Taurus Millennium

The (Wife) Factor:
    What I'm trying to avoid right out of the gate is having to buy 2 guns (one for me and one for her). I was also trying to get her off of .22 caliber. (After a trip where we only shot 9mm guns - 5 of them - it put her off of .22 and she is no longer intimidated by the 9mm.) YEAH! :D

The wifey is 5'3" and 115#. Her hands are on the small side, so grip size, muzzle flip, and wrist fatigue are all considerations when I'm taking her into account. As a result, she specifically hates the grip and weight distribution of the SIGs. :( She does however really like the 92FS and the XDm. The CZ-P07 would be 3rd for her.

The (Money-Is-No-Object) Factor:
    If I take money and my wife out the the criteria then it would be either the P226 or 229 in 9mm and then get the wife whatever she fancies! But, unlike the Federal Government, I'm going to have to exercise some restraint here!

The (M) Factor:
    The Beretta 92FS threw a wrench in my orignal plans to choose between the G17, the M&P, and the XDm. There were some things that I didn't like about the 92FS, but the added weight and reduced muzzle flip of an all metal gun, changed my outlook. I revised my quest with the hopes of falling in love with a $500-$600 all-metal, full-sized gun. The CZ was the leader in the club house. Then I shot the XDm (and it quickly extracted said wrench)...

The XDm fits my hand almost as well as the SIG. For a polymer gun it is on the heavy side, which is a plus in my book. And I was able to put 5 bullets through 1 (expanding) hole at 7 yrds. The wife has no objections to the gun as well!

I think it will be the XD(m) for me. Now, I just have to get a good price out of my LGS! :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

3. knfxda

knfxda New Member

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I will say I love my XDM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also own a G17, it is a gen 4. I like the overall package but it will not cycle reliably. I did contact glock and I will not get into there P.O.S. customer service in your thread. All I will say is if you get a glock then make it a gen 3.

And oh ya the trigger on the XDM kicks the SH**T out of the glock trigger.

5. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Don't gen3's have that whole "kaboom" issue though?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With the spouse in the mix, there are some considerations that must be looked at.

My spouse does not like me to purchase things for her. She prefers to have the say so on her stuff (I will never buy her shoes or a purse. I always get the wrong ones.)

What does the wife feel comfortable with? How will she use it (range or self-defense)?

Just asking.

7. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Agreed. Not buying the gun "for her". I'm just trying to take her into consideration with my 1st purchase (of what will likely be many).

The gun will be an HD gun with lots of range time. I want the gun to be something that my wife will enjoy using at the range and won't be apprehesive about in an HD situation, should it ever come to that.

All guns are compromises and handguns are a further compromise, and semi-automatic is a compromise, yet again. So, the act and idea of compromising should be par for the course and I don't see it as a negative, as long as you're making the best choice for your given compromise.

So, what I don't want to do is get a gun that she hates to hold, won't shoot for more than a handful of rounds, and can't accurately shoot and at the same time get something that feels great to me and that I shoot well.

All things being equal I like the SIGs the best, but their price and my wife's dislike for them rule them out.

To me, the XDm is 90% of what the P226 is at 60% of the price, and the wife likes it to boot. It's really a no-brainer at this point.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

This makes me think Dan may be right about a 5906. IIRC, CDNN had them for right at $300, so it might be a budget friendly choice for you.

On the CZ, did you try one of the full-sized models with a steel frame? I love mine; it even came in a chick-friendly goldish color. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with the Xd's though; i love my XD45 and my buddy's XD9 is a good shooter too.

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I am not sure about that, I am sure that mine does not function reliably.

I would much rather have a firearm that has a 1/ 1000000 chance of KB than one that has a 1/5 chance of a jamb during crisis.

10. knfxda

knfxda New Member

What is "CDNN"?

The only local range that carries CZ (that I know of) only had compact versions to rent. I really wanted to try the full-size. But I shot the smaller pistols and figured that I could extrapolate.

What I didn't like about both the 92FS and the CZ pistols was the smaller size of the slide, when compared to guns like the GLOCK, SIG, and XDm. In my mind's eye I want a big hunk of metal that I can grab indiscriminantly when racking the slide. To me the 92FS and CZ75-variants require more fine motor skills due to the size and shape of the slides (the Beretta has the added disadvantage of having the decocker's on the slide, which I found myself trying to avoid when chambering a round).

As for the 5906, is that still made? I'm not on that tight of a budget (but less money is less money). However, what am I giving up for the $300 savings?

My personal knocks on the 5906 (for me, given my needs - real or perceived):
    1. I believe it is no longer made.
    2. Not willing to buy used for my 1st gun as I don't have enough knowledge to tell good from bad.
    3. It has a magazine safety (don't like the idea of this).
    4. I have nowhere to rent/try this gun (this one is huge - I don't want my 1st gun to be one that I've never put rounds down range with).

11. orangello

orangello New Member

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Not really.

Glocks have unsupported chambers, which can be an issue specifically with the 40sw (G22, 23, 27, etc) caliber. 40sw is a very good defense caliber and quite budget friendly....but it can be a problematic caliber for some reloaders due to the shape of the casing and the pressures involved. Add the unsupported chamber issue of Glocks, and now you've got legitmate concerns if all these factors are in play.

9mm Glocks are relatively problem free, as are Glocks chambered in 40sw if you're shooting factory ammo. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Glock (or a 40sw) if not for the fact that neither really fits my own preferences.

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I just want to be in this thread.:D

Seriously, though I believe the M&P9 would be a good choice. With the interchangeable backstraps, there should be no problem with the fit for the wife.

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

You are correct, they are out of production. But, GunBroker only has about a dozen on there right now :rolleyes:. GunBroker.com - Error
    I'm just following your criteria and suggesting a really cheap option. I plan on picking one up someday soon.
    I don't know how the magazine safety is integrated, but if its anything like a M&P safety, you can pull it out rather easily.
    It doesn't have to be your first handgun, go with your gut instinct and just remember - you can't have only one. You'll be looking for number two as soon as your bring number one home :rolleyes:

15. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

1. Yes, it is no longer made.
    2. The one I bought was better than expected.
    3. It does have a mag safety :mad:
    4. That is tough but let me tell you that of all my pistols (except the .22LR)...my 5906 has the least felt recoil. I am cheating here since my XDm and SP2022 are .40 cal but my other 9mm is an all steel CZ! The grip (Hogue) is on the chubby side so your wife might have some difficulty with it.

All things said, I won't hesitate buying the S&W 5906 again & again. :D

Good luck with your choice!!!

16. WDB

WDB New Member

Me too and I second the M&P. All the same two pages of what's a guy to do...shoot some, pick one and let us know your choice. It's not like your picking out a purse to match your shoes. It's a tool that fits you well and you can use at your skill level.

17. If you're interested in the Sig 229, then look at the FNX-9. I just purchased one for my wife to use for action pistol competition. It is exactly the same size as the Sig 229. A friend has a 229 and we measured the FNX and 229 and compared dimensions and they are identical - with the FNX being much lighter because of the polymer frame.

The FNX comes with three 17 round magazines, has ambidextrous controls, and interchangable backstraps. It is a DA/SA operating gun with a hammer, and the safety also acts as the decocker. Prices are in the $525-$550 range. My wife likes it because the controls operate like her 1911 (mag release, safety).

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very hard to choose a 9mm, there are so many good ones out there. I should know because I have five 9mms and counting. Anyway, most of the good ones have been mentioned above except the Hi Power but if I were choosing now I'd get the one I don't have - the Glock 19. I know some 19Gen4s have ejection problems but that will be worked out and the recent ones are much better than the first Gen4s. The Gen3 might be the safe choice but for $30 more you get the Gen4 and a third magazine in the box.

I'm high on the 19 because I have a 23Gen4 and love the overall gun. And I will be getting a 40 to 9mm conversion barrel for it.

But in the end handle and fire all 9mms you can and choose the brand and size that's right for you and for her.