My non gun project

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by spittinfire, May 10, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I thought there was another thread about this subject but I couldn't find it and I was asked about this in another thread so here you go.

Yes, it's got a bunch of crap sitting on it becuase I haven't done much with it in the past year or so but that will change once my machining project gets wrapped up. Next step in the process is paint.

DSCN1824.jpg

It's a 67 Mustang Fastback that I bought when I was 13. No, it will not look anything like that ghey Elenor and that stupid front end. How many sets of fog lights do you need on a car? I hate that car. Anyway.....I fitting it with a 390 but that will most likely change. Current plans are to stroke the 390 to 445 which should be a torque monster. I'm putting a 5 speed in it, added rear disk brakes and other goodies. All the work was done by me in the garage where you see it.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am not a mustang fan but them right there are the best looking stangs ever made. I am sure it will be smokin when you get done....

3. russ

russ New Member

Nice. I am a Ford guy but I've never heard of the 445 stroker motor. What is involved with that? Custom crank/rods/pistons or is it a combination of other FE stock parts being rearranged? Do you have plans for a paint scheme yet?

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Can't wait to see the progress. I am with Tango. Those are my favorite Mustangs.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think the '67 fastback was the best looking Mustang ever produced. There are some others that are really nice, but to me, the '67 is classic.

Good luck on the project and please keep us in the loop. :cool:

6. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

I can not wait to see that when it is done I have always wanted a mustang like that and wanted to fix it up myself. Best of luck cant wait to see pics of u fixing it up!!!

7. spittinfire

Just change the crank. It's got 4.25" stroke but nothing else I know of needs to be changed.

8. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Other than the Shelby's, '69 Mach 1 has to be, hands down my favorite stang.

*side note* Im impressed with what Ford did with the new 2011 Mustangs.
    base V6 model comes with 300+ horses at 31 mpg highway
    V8 GT model comes with 400+ horses
    -Suck it camaro-

9. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

Ford Guy Here:cool: You should put a clevor in it. Thats a 351 cleveland block with a 351 windsor head that would be a torque monster foreal bore that thing 60 over and she'll scream! Just an opinion it's your ride and I'm sure it'll be sweet. I love them stangs (hope to see more pics as the project advances)

10. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

The 67-69 Camaro's are my all time favorite. Personal preference, but I never really cared for any of the mustangs, just not my thing.[​IMG]
    But the late 60's fastbacks...... I absolutely love those! Thats classic american muscle right there spitty!:cool:
    Can't wait to see how she progresses!

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

12. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Wow! $11,000 for an engine!

I want to someday do a project like this. Im not sure if I should start it now, then give it to my son when he turns 18 in 15 years. Or, start a project when he turns 12-13, help me fix it up, then give it to him.

13. spittinfire

I'll be making more power with the motor I started yesterday and for a lot less money. The short block went together really well. I'll try to get some pics up later. We are shooting for 500HP which isn't that impressive but it's solid for an FE. With a 4.25" stroke 500ft/lbs of torque shouldn't be a problem and all this will happen below 6,000 RPM.
    500HP will get the car finished but we built it with a forged steel crank, forged H beam rods and forged pistons so I can see a blower ending up on this thing down the road. The bottom end is good for 800HP.

I was wrong when I said the 445 only needs a crank change. It gets different rods and pistons too...my bad.

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Please keep us in the loop Spitty.

15. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Spitty, this project of yours jogs my memory of the last motor I built for my hot rod Camaro back in 1982.

The Camaro has long since been sold but I still have alot of the motor left in a fresh machined mothballed condition.

I ocassionally ponder the thought of building another street freak machine but I come to the two same conclusions every time for not doing it. (1) I'll just get into trouble with the law (can't keep my foot out of the gas and if I got it I'll use it) and (2) Been there...done that.

The (2) excuse just makes me feel better about myself in my inablilties to curb my impulsivness when it comes to keeping my foot out of the throttle.:D

16. spittinfire

When I was in high school my car dropped a valve and for a little while I drove my dad's 65 Mustang. At the time it was around 325HP but I still had fun with it so I know where you're coming from. Now it's in the form of 600HP and a 6 speed. You can't drive that car without getting on it at least once.

17. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am not a Ford guy. But I can appreciate a Mustang. My younger brother has a similar project going. I saw an early 70s Nova for sale right around the corner from my house. I'm seriously thinking about it. It droped from $3200 down to $2600. If it gets any lower I may have to go buy it.

18. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Hell, I got on it with that Camaro at least 3 to 4 times a day.

Had a Strange Engineering 9", 31 spline Ford rear end made for it and had several pumpkins with gear sets ranging from 5.56, 4.10, 3.55, and, 3.00. (If memory severs me correctly) My intentions were, with the last motor I built for it, was to break the 200 MPH barrier with that Camaro. Thats why I had a pumpkin made up in a 3.00 gear ratio. Unfortunately the best she would go was 187 MPH. Really disappointing to me at the time. Quarter mile time was in the low 9's, but drag racing by that time had become really boaring to me.

So I lost interest in it, and the wife at the time was really pissed off it it as well, pulled the motor and transmission out, towed the Camaro to our family ranch and there it sat until a fellow and hid son bought it from me in 2005 for a "father / son" project. I still have most of the motor and the transmission and I see that Camaro ocassionally on a trailer with painted in headlights and taillights being trailered to and from the drag strip.