My next shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by northhike, Jan 31, 2010.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster I have been both hunting and shooting trap with. Love the gun and so far it has been very reliable in the field. I did have one jam, but it was most likley due to me not racking the chamber hard enough for the next round.

As I advance in my shooting and hunting abilities I have been flirting with the idea of buying another gun. Either and O/U or a side by side. I have been window shopping at Gander Mountain, Cabelas and Dick's. I have also been researching the advantages/disadvantages of O/U's and side by sides. It definatley can get confusing.

So to add to the confusion ;) I thought I would ask your guys opinions on the O/U's vs. side by sides. This will be primarily a upland hunting gun as I am more of a hunter than a competitor. Looking at a 20 guage as I prefer lighter slim profile guns. I have my eye on a Beretta White Onyx, but truth be told I have never shot anything but a single barrel shotgun.

2. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

What Gun

Most old timers in this part of the world would recomend side by side and indeed this was my gun of choice for some thirty years however for the last five years have been shooting over unders ever since my son entered competition shooting. The benefits soon became apparent as most decent over unders will chamber 3" loads a point to consider when hunting. Most clay shooters would recomend 30" barrels or more. Recoil is a point to consider when switching from auto guns but generally a good heavy gun such as bettinsoli or winchester with a suitable recoil pat should take care of this. One point however is a 20 bore is a far less effective load than a 12 bore when hunting. Either of the 2 suggested guns travel well between clay range and all manner of hunting, have used both and would have no hesitation in recomending either. A point to remember with the bettinsoli is do not look at anything over 3 years old.
    As the more modern guns are by far better quality.Let us know your your choice and happy shooting.

Davyboy

3. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

What gun.

Forgot to mention the modern bettinsoli is of equal quality to beretta but approx half the price, one of my guns is a diamond plus has had 20,000 rounds through it without any fault.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I'd go for a side by side, but you need to get what you prefer. Nothing worse than spending money for anything you don't really like or doesn't fit. I have probably run through 30 shotguns, and have never found anything I could shoot as well as a 1974 Wingmaster that I sold many years ago in a moment of stupidity.

5. northhike

northhike New Member

I hear ya....thats why I am keeping the Wingmaster. ;) I did consider a semi-auto as well, but I am a big fan of simplicity.....especially in a hunting weapon.:D

6. ckirby

ckirby New Member

I recently did exactly what you're doing. I had my old Ithaca Model 37 and wanted something new, simple and versatile. I settled on the Browning Cynergy Satin Composite. It's an O/U and really like it. I shoot trap with it nearly every Sunday. It will chamber 3 1/2 rounds for duck hunting which is what I really liked about. It's an extremely versatile all around gun. It even has an adjustable comb.

7. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

It solely depends on what you are doing with the gun. If you are going to shoot competition trap only, then I would go for a nice single shot like a BT-99 or a BT-100. If you plan on shooting skeet where a follow up shot is needed then I would go for an O/U, like a Ruger Red label. If it will be a multi purpose gun then I would definitely go with a tube fed gun. If you like pumps, then look into a Benelli Nova or another 870 and maybe a Mossy 500 (they have a shorter stroke than an 870).

Me personally I shoot a lot of Sporting Clays and would never give up my semi auto. I personally shoot a Winchester 1400 but I would not recommend it. I would look into an 11-87 or if weight is an issue, look at a Beretta A391. Both are awesome guns.

As far as barrel length goes, if you are planning on nothing but comp trap or skeet where flight path is pretty predictable I would use a 30" barrel, however if it will see any field use where you have to swing the barrel with an unpredictable path then I would not use anything longer than a 28."

This is all my personal preference, I would never use a coach gun however. The trajectory of a side by side in my limited experience with them is always a little left or a little right...

8. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

If you want the o/u, buy yourself the o/u. I've got a Beretta and it's a very nice, reliable gun. I actually prefer my Benellis, but that's personal preference. The o/u is pretty much the standard on the clays course these days.
    As far as barrel length, if it's an upland gun, stay with 28 inch barrels. They swing a little faster, and are easier to deal with in brush or corn fields.

9. northhike

northhike New Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. Just to be clear I am first and foremost a "hunter." I enjoy shooting clays, but only as practice for hunting. Thus I am looking for a hunting gun. :D

10. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Remington 887 Nitro Mag

I hear ya....thats why I am keeping the Wingmaster. I did consider a semi-auto as well, but I am a big fan of simplicity.....especially in a hunting weapon.

have you seen or shot the new Remington 887 Nitro Mag? If you like to hunt and you want a dependable rugged gun, check one out.
    but, I do understand the desire to have a bunch of different kinds of guns.
    In my experience with side by sides vs O/U. The side by sides seem a lot heavier. I couldnt imagine lugging my side by side around all day, its very heavy. My buddy has a Wetherby O/U and it is SAWEEEEEET.......accurate, looks great and lighter than the side by side.

11. northhike

northhike New Member

Humm... have not considered the Wetherby. I checked out their site and it seems like a well made gun.

12. jimbobpissypants

Be careful with Weatherby shotguns. I've seen 2 of them with cracks from the choke tubes running about 2 to 3in. up the barrel toward the receiver. apparently for awhile, they reduced the wall thickness of the barrels too much. This was probably 3to 4 yrs ago. They may have remedied the problem by now though.

13. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

This is a nice gun. Going after work today to pick one up actually. Cant wait to shoot it.

14. northhike

northhike New Member

Let me know how you like it. How easy/difficult are the Remington 887's to clean?

15. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

i seen a youtube video of the guy explaining how easy it was to take apart. it looks real easy.

16. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Good point...side by side shotguns you have to adjust your aim a little to the left then a little to the right.
    Over/Under's not that much aim adjustment is needed.

A Ruger Red Label was mentioned...one of these are at the top of my shotgun list, especially since I'm interested in getting a O/U for my next shotgun. From what I've seen in O/U's the Ruger has the best bang for the buck. ;)

17. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Not to be argumentative, but you do NOT have to adjust your point of aim right or left with a side by side, any more than you have to adjust your aim up or down for an over/under. Remember, the rib/bead on a side by side is about 1/2 inch from the center of either bore, in an over-under the bead is about 1 and a half inches above the lower barrel. Plus, most good side by sides are slightly offset to aim dead on at effective ranges.

Another side by side advantage is that when broken open, they only have to come open about 30% or so--an over-under needs to break open much farther to eject the bottom barrel--makes them easier to open in a blind and easier to carry open--at least in my experiences. Obviously I love side by sides, especially for hunting...

18. northhike

northhike New Member

Well after checking out a few guns I really like the Benelli Montefeltro in 20g. What a sweet semi-auto that is! Has anyone shot one? Feedback?

19. ckirby

ckirby New Member

I've never shot one but I must say it's a beautiful gun. I have shot a Benelli Super Sport and I liked it although it was a little too light for my taste. It tended to swing too fast and was hard to keep on target. I haven't personally shot one but if you are looking for an autoloader, I have heard nothing but good things about the Winchester SX3. I know a guy who has it in his duck blind and simply loves it. I know another guy who shoots trap and duck hunts with his and he swears by it and I must say he's solid 24-25 on trap.

20. jimbobpissypants

I haven't shot the Montefeltro, but I have shot Benelli 20 ga. They struck me as a great little gun. Benellis are great guns. I've got a pair of sporting Benellis. They have been fantastic as far as reliablity goes.