My next gun ????

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NvRbanArms, Jan 5, 2012.

1. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

Okay. I have a 12 ga, a 9mm, .357, and a .45. what do you think I should get next. Rifle and handgun suggestions. I live in IL so I am limited to certain (lame) laws. Oh and my budget is around 900-1000.00

Go!

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Mosin nagant.

3. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Agreed... then you can use the remaining $900 on ammo and targets. :)

4. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I'm looking into building an ak, there's a lot of data on it online

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What?! You don't have a .22? Everyone needs a .22 for plinking. And with the rest of the money you have budgeted, you could build yourself an AR-15.

6. Nicodemus

Nicodemus New Member

Agree, a .22 target pistol and a .22 rifle are a great way to practice and plink on the cheap. ;)

7. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

A 22 was what I was thinking. But what brand? I know a lot of ppl always say that to me. Lol. Everything I went to look I always got something bigger. And how much does it cost to build an ak or ar. That would be cool as hell.

8. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

The Ford vs Chevy principle applies here.

Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60/795

Ruger Mark III or Browning Buck Mark

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Ruger Mark II Target would give you the best bang for your buck. But if you are looking for some serious quality in a target 22, there is the S&W Model 41 and also some of the old High Standard models.

If you want a target 22 rifle, there is the CZ 452/453, various Savage models, Browning T-Bolt, Ruger auto and bolt versions, etc.

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

If I were in your position and doing my gun collection over again, I would go with a .22. Specifically a S&W M&P 15-22, a CZ 452/Savage BV bolt action .22 and put the rest in ammo.

Or if not interested in a bolt action rifle, pick up a .22 pistol in something comperable to what you are shooting in centerfire.

I own 2 of the 3 guns that I am recommending. I have a lot more .22s but these are the two that seem to go to the range everytime.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Get a 22lr rifle and a 22lr pistol, and you'll still have plenty cash left for ammo and accessories.

Make an AR a near future purchase. And maybe a nice metal autoloading pistol, if you don't already have one.

12. elglockeroloko30

elglockeroloko30 New Member

I do not understand your doubt, the answer is obvious! In handgun you are missing a .40, i recomend the glock 23. It is also obvious that you need an AK 47 to ad to your collection. I recomend Arsenal.

13. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

Gotta remember. I am in Illinois. Alot of firearms are illegal here and I don't want to pay 350.00 membership fees to shoot yearly. That's why I limit myself to handguns mostly.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The OP has 9mm, .357, and .45. I'd say there's no reason to add a .40 to the mix unless he's just looking to collect as many calibers as he can. Practical difference between a .40 and the other 3 calibers he posted is minuscule at best. .22LR is definitely the better option in this scenario.

15. KahrCarryingInfidel

KahrCarryingInfidel New Member

You can pick up a Sig 1911-22 for under $400. Spend the balance on a Ruger 10/22 and ammo. You'll be one happy camper.

16. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

Hi NV - I am in the NW suburbs and new to guns. Is there anything that I should keep in mind re ILL guns/rifles. I probably would buy all local but wanted to know what you are concerned about. I have been to GAT Guns and Cabelas and they seem to have virtually everything you would want.

17. vincent

vincent New Member

18. elglockeroloko30

elglockeroloko30 New Member

I was thinking more in terms of carrying. I agree there is no practical diference between .357, .40 and .45, in terms of the damage they can do but depending of the gun of course, there are significant differences in size and fire capacity of those guns. I know it is mostly a matter of personal preference but for example, I cannot always conceal my glock 21 as well as my taurus 617(.357). On the other hand, the taurus has a 7 round capacity while the glock 21 has a 13 +1 capacity. Same with the 23, only that it is a smaller package. As for Me....... I love them all!

19. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

EXCELLENT!!! As a new shooter, who is looking for a gun, who lives in a state that people look down on gun ownership this makes me proud.