My next gun, club, etc

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by khakidevil, Jan 1, 2014.

1. khakidevil

khakidevil New Member

Hey, gang. I'm in the Peoria/elmwood area and I'm not sure what clubs or galleries I could join outside of American firearms. I'm also torn on my next firearm; I'd like a nice, solid tactical rifle. I've become quite fond of Sig Sauer and New England Firearms.
    My small collection consists of as follows:
    -Sig Sauer P250 9mm
    -Sig Sauer P250 .45ACP
    -2 New England Firearms Pardner Pump 12 gauge shotguns

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd appreciate it; I'm also looking into Conceal Carry Classes. American Furearms wants $275. I feel like they raised it? Thanks guys.

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

There are plenty of other places that are having classes for a lesser amount and its slowing down for Instructors and prices are falling . I hosted a class of 52 people in Nov. Prices for the full 16 hrs was $225 then

3. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

FWIW here in Chicago, I charge $295 for 16 hours which includes EVERYTHING. Breakfast, Lunch, Soft Drinks, range fees, ammo, targets and free firearm rental. My classes are generally between 15 and 25 people and I truly believe that when you look at everything being offered it's impossible to find a better value in my area.

Tactical rifle, we can talk for days upon end on that. What will the use of the rifle be? Tacticool range plinking? Home defense? SHTF? I don't know much about new england firearms, but Sig is a solid brand with good quality control and support. There are other companies as well which are on par with Sig.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I'm a member of Chillicothe Sportsmens Club. They have quite a bit of organized shoots. USPSA, bowling pin, steel challenge, mauser matches, small bore. The have up to a 300 yard range, 100 yard rifle and pistol pits.

chillisportsmen.org

5. tinkersdam

tinkersdam New Member

Classes up here in N. E. Lake County, IL are all in the $300-$350 range for the 16 hr classes and only include range fees. You provide your own food, drinks, a pistol, holster, and 100+ rounds of ammo. Lowest I've seen for the IL CCW class is at Gander Mountain in Kenosha, WI...priced at $260 incl. range fees.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

I do classes in Gurnee, just did a session December 21st and 22nd. I should be back in Gurnee early March.

7. khakidevil

khakidevil New Member

What I would do with my potential tac rifle is use it for shooting, of course. I'd use it for home defense, target shooting, add experience, etc. I live here in Elmwood and sometimes I can shoot in my back yard. I'd like to join any of the local gun clubs and get my conceal carry without driving for hours. I feel that AF is charging way more than what would be reasonable being that said fees will not include ammo and range time. I would like to get my cc before I turn 30, which is on the 18th of this month. Going back to the tactical rifle I'm leaning towards a Sig P556 swat pistol w/SB15 Pistol Stabilizing Brace. Maybe.

8. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

The reason why I asked the use is because it would depend on the build. A rifle designed for home defense could be used for medium ranges, but optimally the two are not the same as a bench rest "tactical" rifle for example.

I am personally not a fan of the SB for ONE reason, I will be tempted to use it as a stock. I think most people who buy the SB buy it for the intention of using it as a stock and circumvent the SBR rules. I was thinking of a RRA PDS pistol for a truck console gun. Similiar to the Sig swat pistol in design. I am not sure which one is better because I haven't been able to tear down the two. Then I would go Euro with a tension/pistol sling. You can use a tension sling like a stock, pushing out rather than pulling in. Just my $0.02. I don't think the sig 556 swat pistol would be a bad choice overall.

I have seen some instructors charging $400 including nothing. Now that's high.