My newest addition to my wheelgun collection

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Mark F, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

This is my new S&W 500 Magnum. Saw it, played with it, liked it, bought it. Sort of expensive to shoot but what the heck, you only live once... Those rounds in the photo are $4.50 each. I hope to find some cheaper ammo someday.

Attached Files:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Very nice. How's the recoil on it?

3. Mark F

With the rounds you see in the photo, it's like getting slapped in the hand with a baseball bat. There are friendlier loads available. Some are actually mild-mannered (sort of). With a light load it's similar to shooting a full-house 44 Magnum.

But you'd be surprised how much fun it is to shoot!

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice. What ARE those rounds? And what are they for?

5. AR10

AR10 New Member

On my short list. Want a no longer made version, snob nose.

6. Mark F

Those are Buffalo Barnes XPB 375 grain no lead cartridges. They are hollow point, so hunting (or extreme SD) would be the most likely application. These are not considered hot rounds for an S&W 500. They are quite potent though! When you get up to 450 grain bullets and higher, then you're looking at mega recoil.

Make no mistake, even the lightest S&W 500 loads will chase off the people in the next lane to you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  7. Mark F

The snub nose 500's are brutal to shoot. By the third round, you're ready to pack it away for a while...

8. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would think that reloading would be necessary to get the most out of that gun. Man I could have some fun with that one!

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'd like to shoot it. Probably just once, but I'd like to shoot it anyway.

10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

A friend of mine in AK had one just like that. I shot it and was amazed how little recoil it had. It is very heavy, which helps a lot, but still it was fun to shoot, but a 'bear' (pun intended) to carry.;)

11. rurak

rurak New Member

I like it!!!! Looks like a new edc to me :)

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

That's crazy. I can't imagine how expensive high end SD rounds are for it.

I would like to shoot one once just to say I have.

I guess it'd be perfect for recoil junkies.

13. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice piece,,, those .500's are fun to shoot,, but limited shooting with full house factory loads for me,, good way to develop a flinch. I have a FA Model 83 in .500 Wyoming Express,, not quite as hot as the S&W, but all one would ever need most likely. Reloaded down, it is very pleasant compared to the Grizzly factory loads and the loads using Trail Boss powder, far more economical as well. Like Mr. Keith said,, " Bring enough gun " one never knows when an occasional T- Rex may show up in the back forty. Have fun and again, a very nice piece, congrats.

14. rurak

rurak New Member

Hahaha T-rex

15. orangello

orangello New Member

You know what I am wondering.

I will await your posting of a new bearskin rug. :D

16. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

That gun looks like it would be brutal. My .44 magnum has enough recoil for me, I don't know about this one.

17. pb1371

pb1371 New Member

I know this is common sense to most but just be careful if you reload your own rounds w this gun. I had a friend who did and overloaded his which ended up causing several of them to detonate in the cylinder.

18. pb1371

pb1371 New Member

I'm not sure how exactly it happened. He overloaded the powder in the ammunition he reloaded thinking it would give him way more power but didn't quite know what he was doing. When he shot the first overloaded round it caused two more to go off inside the cylinder.

Good news is the redundant safety features of the revolver caused the cylinder to shoot out the side of the gun instead of him holding a concentrated explosion in his hand.

All in all this is a great gun but just make for absolutely sure that if you reload your rounds, do it correctly

19. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

My .357 is about as stout as I want to go, thanks. Beautiful gun, though, and nothing but good luck with it.

20. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

This is the best way to achieve that outcome.
    Your second post mentions the 'all critical' cylinder damage.

Yeah, get's more frightening as the round get's larger!
    From a smith and Wesson forum poster

[​IMG]