My new Type 99 Arisaka

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Gizord1, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Just got this Type 99 Arisaka, today!
    Great condition, no mum (some is barely visible), I think it has a chrome lined barrel, and 20 rounds of ammo.
    Got it and the ammo for $180.

Attached Files:

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a pretty nice rifle, 180 bucks not bad & they all had chrome lined barrels, use them 20 rds. sparingly & keep your eyes open for more, them come few & far between. Good Luck with her...............

3. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Yeah, I think having them reloaded would be the best option. I can that the ones I got, have already been reloaded. I don't know how long the cases last.

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Do all the numbers match? Do you know the arsenal and series?
    There were 3 main variations of the T99 short rifle, early ones had the chrome lined barrel, AA-sights, Monopod, Dust cover, The next or "Simplified" T99's were made with earlier parts, but the unimportant parts were left off, only some have chrome barrels, AA-sights, they used up what they had before moving to the "Substitute" T99 or the "Last Ditch" series of rifles.. I cant tell from the pics if its a early one or a "Simplified" one...

If you want info on the markings, heres a great site: http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Just get the dies and cut down 30-06 brass

6. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

Congrats! That's one of the rifles on my long list of wants!

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The 7.7 Jap is based on the .303 Enfield Ctg. The .303 brass had the rim removed for rifles and a partial removal for the Hotchkiss MGs. There are 2 types of the 7.7 one rifles one for MGs. They can be made from 06 brass but the 06 base is too small to chamber in the 7.7. They are stressed out pretty fast in the Jap rifle. If you have a lathe you can turn down the .303 Brit and make the cases. The best way is just buy the loaded ammo to get brass.

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

:confused: All I shoot out of mine is cut down military '06, it doesnt bulge and works just fine.
    The actual 7.7 brass I have I treat like gold, and havent reloaded it yet.

The 7.7 Mg ammo was a copy of the .303, not the rifle round, it 2 mm longer without a rim..

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

For the rifle you turn the complete rim off the .303. The machine gun has a semi-rim. The question is was the partial rim left on the MG round for extraction. Or was the rim left to keep it from firing in the rifle?

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The only thing the .303 British & the 7.7x58 Arisaka have in common is the bullet, you can make cases from the 06 Springfield & the 57 Mauser............

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The 7.7 is based on the .303 Brit. both case and bullet. Yes you can use an 06 case but it does not change the history. The JIS metrics used in Japan were taken from the English standards as were most industrial processes at the turn of the 20th century. The Japanese supplied Arisaki rifles to the British Army during WWI. The turning of the rim on the .303 for use in their own weapons was easy.:)

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Then why is the 7.7 case 2mm longer?

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The case is based on the .303 Brit. There was a always a problem with engineering when Japan modified the British Metrics to the Japanese Metric Standard or JIS which differs from the Komotsu Metrics. It is not enough to worry about. The English had a problem making ammo to fit the Arisaki rifles they used due to these differences.:)

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.7x58mm_Arisaka