My new toy. (& first firearm)

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by chff95, Jul 25, 2008.

1. chff95

chff95 New Member

Hey everyone,

I am a complete noob to the gun world. I've wanted to get into it as a new hobby for a while. I've done some shooting with a couple cop friends and have recieved some basic training. Originally I was just interested in getting a weapon for personal defense. After shooting a couple of times at the range I found I really enjoy it. I finally broke down and got my first firearm yesterday. A Springfield XD 9 4". I'm looking forward to learning alot from all you veterans. Just wanted to say hi...............................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Sweet! Welcome to the forum and the sport.

3. Samhain

Samhain New Member

Very nice.... Welcome to the forum.

This can be a very expensive and addicting hobby.
    I just bought my 2nd safe, a tall 14 gun safe. My small cube safe
    was getting too small, and I bought an AR a little while back and need to lock it up. Now I have an excuse to get more long guns.... I'm thinking shot gun...

4. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your fine new firearm. What little experience I have shooting the XD has all been very positive. I wish my Glocks had a trigger like that.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

While I don't have an XD, I would feel very comfortable owning one. It certainly would be ahead of Glock in my list of choices.

6. genie

genie New Member

Most everyone I know agrees they find the XD desirable due to it's trigger pull, which is actually a true single-action affair. Glock design is slightly different, and also feels different; some like it, some don't.

I find I can keep the XD "on-target" more easily than I can a Glock.

7. Chester

Chester New Member

Hello: IMHO you made a great choice in your selection of a handgun. I also own one, A XD 40 I love it. If for any reason you find the speedloader not satisfactory may i suggest a loader from safariland, It seems to push the casing down further when loading making loading MUCH easier.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  8. 741512th

741512th New Member

Great choice for a first bang-bang. My first was the XD 9mm 5". Good shooter, reliable, accurate, easy to maintain. Based on the Browning Hi-Power, it is simple and fun. The only reason I got rid of it was because I replaced it with a Browning Hi-Power.

Completely addictive hobby and expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

9. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

What kind of safe did you get? Was it one of the wal-mart specials? Had 2 of them and ended up ordering a 60 gun gun safe. Had to order 1 more because I, like you, had an excuse to get more long guns.:):D

Boy the wife was mad, not so much because I got them but because I did not tell her.:confused: GO figure.

10. Merc187

Merc187 New Member

Congrats on the new purchase! That will definately make a fine starter to the collection that is soon to follow. Oh, what's that? Maybe only one or two you say? Just a Hobby? Pffffft...HAHAHA I said that too about 10 guns & 1000's of rounds ago!! :p

I almost traded my HK USP .40 Compact in on one and started having detachment issues. So I will just wait until I have the money to buy one. Maybe in .357SIG??

11. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Congratulations. Welcome to the sport & the forum.

Excellent choice, and I think you will be well pleased.

12. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

The gun is no longer a new purchase for him. Look at the date of the original thread....lol.

We need to make the date larger I think so people can see when the OP was posted.

P.S. I've made this mistake too. Now I know to look at the date of the OP or the last post...lol.

13. XD dude

XD dude New Member

I too am new to the gun world. I have been into guns for a while I just haven't owned one. I recently bought a XD 9mm sub-compact after months of research. Love it! Why do I have the urge to buy more? I'd love to get something a lil' bigger, maybe a m1a, mini14, or a sks. Any suggestions?

14. AARguy

AARguy New Member

Two Cents

I'm no expert, just an Old Soldier. My kids are all out of the nest so we don't have any safes. After decades of humping a ruck and a rifle, I see long guns in 308 as the best weapons for defense... rifle for long range... shotgun for the here and now. I see the primary value of a pistol as being a tool to fight your way to your long guns. I carried a 1911 in the Army and during annual qualification we always joked that its max effective range was how far you could throw it. I always asked my 1SGT to have an M-16 or M-4 under my seat "just in case". Now I am into 40cal pistols.

But for home defense there is nothing like a shotgun. I recommend a Mossberg 930 SPX loaded with 00 Buck or #2 Buck... or possibly the new "hybrid rounds" that mix and match.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

July 2008???? Really?

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Been lots of zombie threads lately...

17. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Very nice first gun.
    The XD is, IMO the best, most rugged polymer pistol ever made.
    Great choice!:)

18. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What...What?:eek: Ever heard of a S&W Sigma.:D

I just have to give love for the Sigma, no one else ever does.

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I gave you a thumbs up just for your dogged determination. ;)

20. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Well, I am going to refer to it every chance I get.:D