My new to me Remington 597 .22LR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Gh0zt36, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Finally got it in!!! Shes lookin good . couple minor scratches. but thats what guns that get shot look like . I really dig the slide ramp sights on it too . Will make a perfect partner to the 10/22 takedown.

Attached Files:

2. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

3. VikingGuy

VikingGuy New Member

nice, I like the camo.

4. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

How is it? Any issues?

5. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I havnt got to shoot it yet because this and the takedown I just got are my only .22LR s and I don't have bore brush yet for it and I don't shoot guns if I can't clean them immediately afterwards. I ordered a .22lr boresnake though so I should have it in a couple days and when I get it im going to do a youtube range video. Ill be sure to post it

But first impressions are Barrel seems to be heavier than your average .22 . @ 20" it is a little longer than the takedown I just got . I absolutely love the rear slide ramp site , It's a bit heavier than the takedown. hope this helps for a start

6. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ok thanks keep me posted!

7. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I just bought a remington 597 yesterday... I mounted a new simmons 22 mag scope on it. I cant wait to get it to the range, I admit that I am a little nervous after reading about all the problems that these rifles have had in the past. I hope remington has fixed these issues.

8. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

All the problems were with the magazines so if the one you bought was new then it has gen 3 circle 10 mags and it will probably cycle just fine.. The gun itself is top notch

9. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I bought brand new, and the gun does feel really sturdy... I cant wait to shoot it

10. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

im just waiting on scope base , rings and a .22 boresnake to come in the mail and ill be taking my new ruger 10/22 take down and the 597 to the range.... 2 new little plinkers for me :D

11. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

How do you like the ruger? I looked at those at the gun shop, but I didnt care for the way they felt. I decided to get a 22 because its expensive to shoot 30-06 or .308 all the time

12. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Well as I said I hadn't got a chance to shoot it yet ... Im waitin for some parts. But so far my initial impressions are its going to be perfect for what I need it for which will primarily be a WROL / SHTF small game food rifle. As you may have seen I bought a Nikon 3-9x40 scope for it aftermarket picatinny rail quad lock quick detach rings and a KiDD bolt buffer with rubber sleeve . So I think it's going to be a great rifle. feels quality to me.

Im not going to shoot it a whole lot. I'd like to keep it in excellent shape so when the time comes to where I need it which I believe based on world events may be right around the corner it'll be ready to go .

The remington im gonna shoot the crap out of lol ....

13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Im planning on shooting my remington allot as well, I put a cheaper scope on mine its a simmons 22 mag, I'm pleased with the quality for $40

14. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

I was looking at the big barrel with scope at Dicks sporting goods, black synthetic stock, beautiful rifle. It was $249. I decided to go with the Savage Mark ii FV-SR because of the negative things I read about the magazines on the Remington. I hope it works great for you, I look forward to seeing your review.

15. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I believe that the problem with the defective mags has been fixed, I checked out a savage mark ii and I didnt care for the way it felt in my hands. I would like to know how you like the savage.

16. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

The savage MK 11 is a good shooter. I have some feeding problems with Remington ammo. But blazer and CCi work the best. And it's very accurate.

17. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

How many rounds have you put through it yet? How often would you recomend cleaning them, some say everytime you shoot, some say not often.

18. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

When I get my Savage I will definitely be posting about it. I purchased it like 3 days ago, the countdown is on. (10 day wait in Cali).:(

19. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

I don't know how many rounds at least 1000. I usually clean it after ever use. But sometimes I'll do every other time. It depends on how dirty the ammo is. Remington golden bullets are pretty dirty.

20. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

How do you tell how dirty the ammo is?