My New to me Mini 14 jams!?

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by sum1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. sum1

sum1 New Member

I just got a mini 14 (181 series stainless) today after reading how reliable they are etc I was looking forward to trying it out. However after firing 30 shots or so it jammed on me 3 or 4 times. When it jams the empty casing gets caught sideways instead of being ejected properly however a new shell makes it into the chamber and I have to remove both the empty case and the new shell from the chamber before it will fire again. Is there something that needs to be cleaned or adjusted (it seems to be pretty clean already)? I have read that most people find that the casings are ejected into the "next county" however mine seems to only go a couple feet like most other guns I have used.

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Do you have factory magazines with it? If not, that could be your problem.

There are good aftermarket mags for these but I don't know which ones are good or not. I know that when I had bought bargin basement mags for the ones I have had thay they usually caused this similar problem your having.

I only have factory Ruger mags for the one I have now.

3. sum1

sum1 New Member

It only came with one 5 rd mag, Not sure how I would tell if its factory or not but it has a plastic bottom and says Ruger mini 14 on it and a stamped logo. The spring loaded part that gets pushed into the mag when loading is also plastic.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Thats a factory mag. Could be something wrong with gas system, but not sure.

5. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

The first thing I do with ANY new firearm is take it down and clean it. The vast majority of any problem with a firearm new, used etc is that its dirty. I have no idea how many semi-autos I have picked up from people cheaply because they were "broke". The overwhelming majority just needed a good cleaning!!!

6. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

What ammo are you using ?

7. sum1

sum1 New Member

25 rounds jammed 3 times maby Winchester 223 45gr JHP varmit
    5 rds jammed once Remington 223 55gr PSP

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The 45gr Win is not 100% reliable in most semi autos, but it still happens with the 55gr Rem?

Do you know how to disassemble your bolt? May be time for new extractor and ejector springs.

9. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

It is very possible that your Mini has digested a lot of steel cased ammo in the past. This can cause extractor damage with the Mini-14. Check your extractor for damage or have a gunsmith look at it. Your operating handle (op-rod) could be rubbing on the stock also. This will cause it to short stroke and give you the failures you are describing. Another possibility would be that someone has installed a smaller gas port bushing that is too small for the ammo that you are using. One of these will more than likely be the culprit. Check them and let us know, then we can go from there..........

Jim.......

10. sum1

sum1 New Member

I fired 9 shots today with no problems resulting in 1 coyote, however I noticed the top wood part of the stock slides about 1/4 inch forward and back. Thanks for the great tips I will look into the issue further and post my results.

11. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have a 183-series Mini-14 and if your 181-series wasn't slinging the brass into the next county (province), I would guess that MasterPsmith has nailed it and someone has messed with the gas port with perhaps some buffers thrown in. That can all be fixed.

By the way, recently I took my factory 5-round Ruger magazine that came with the gun to the range just for yucks & giggles, but I couldn't get it to work at all. It's never been used to fire a single round as far as I know. If they will let you have the Ruger 10, 20 or 30 round Ruger Magazines in Canada, I suggest you try some of those and see if that helps your issues.

Good luck with your Mini, believe me they are reliable if you can get the bugs out that may have been installed by "Bubba". Mine has never missed a beat using Ruger 20's and 55 grain bullets. :cool:

12. oldcrankyman

oldcrankyman New Member

"I have read that most people find that the casings are ejected into the "next county" however mine seems to only go a couple feet like most other guns I have used."

"Another possibility would be that someone has installed a smaller gas port bushing that is too small for the ammo that you are using."

That sounds like the most likely thing to me, and/or a cleaning issue.

13. sum1

sum1 New Member

I fired 15 more remington with no problems yesturday. Hopefully I will get a chance to take it apart this week.

how would I find out which twist is in my barrel? Does the serial number give it away?

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

You see us talking about the "Series" of our Mini-14's? That's determined by the first 3 numbers of your serial number. In your case, the 181-series says you have a 1:10 twist. ;)

15. sum1

sum1 New Member

Thanks just figured that out myself via google aswell :), As long as everyone agrees from what I have read 55grain bullets should technically be the best for me? How should 45 grains fire equally well or?

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The 45 grainers will shoot well also.

Jim.......

17. bpartwthog

bpartwthog New Member

Masterp- made comment elsewere about not being a fan of the mini-thirty. Can you explain your thoughts, also how about 6.8spc in the mini.... I would value your opinion as I have read many of your comments and suggestions thru-out this talk forum....

18. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

The 6.8spc is a great round in the newer Mini's with the heavier barrel. Would make a very good deer getter out to 100 yards in my opinion. The major problems with the older Mini's in 7.62X39 was lack of accuracy and heat retention with the thinner barrels. They also had problems with breaking firing pins and extractors due to hard primer cups and steel cased ammo depending on the ammo manufacture. If you want a light, fast handling, easy to carry carbine for deer and/or hog, the 6.8spc would be a good choice in the newer 581 series rifle.

Jim...........

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  19. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

A new Semi or Full Auto needs lots of oil before break in. Shoot-em jucie the oil will allow the rifle to run in over tight spots. After a few rounds maybe 100 it will most likely work. Most shooters shoot new rifles dry and have never ending problems. After break in you can use proper lubing for your rifle.:)

DK

20. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

There have been NO NEW Full Auto AC556's/Mini-14's for a long time.