My new Taurus 942 22WMR

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rancid, Sep 28, 2020.

1. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

Lucky you

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and again

3. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

That is great that you have enjoyed such a good experience with your G2C!
    For a lot of years I avoided Taurus because their quality and service reputations were ‘tarnished.’ But a few years ago I decided to give Taurus a try with a Millennium G2C. I loved the ergonomics of that little pistol! Compared to an XD Mod. 2 sub-compact that I had at the time, the G2C felt better in the hand and was a tad lighter.
    After properly cleaning and lubing the gun, I took it out and had one of the most frustrating range trips ever. The gun was a jam-o-matic giving me constant feeding problems! Took the mags apart that evening and made sure they were clean and went over the gun again, then left the mags full for a week until I shot it again...same thing. And this was with a variety of ammo...none of it really worked good. A handloads I developed for my wife with Speer 100 grain HP’s worked better than anything else, but it still had issues too. Taurus took the gun back, kept it for two months and sent it back saying they found no issues with the gun and that I should try different ammo. I was a bit peeved, so I called and the guy insisted I should just keep trying different ammo. I gave him a short review of my opinion of the gun, and traded it in at a shop where I knew the owner...he wanted to see if he could get it to run right, but he wound up sending it back to Taurus.
    All the ammo I tried in the G2C shot fine in the Springfield, and in my old Ruger P series and in my FNX-9.
    My experiences are not even close to yours. I say all this not to bash Taurus (lots of folks have great experiences with theirs!) but just to say that it is not people’s imagination or rumors that have given Taurus the bad rep they are working hard to be rid of.
    BTW, shooting range guns can be interesting since a lot of the guns get heavy use and not always the best maintenance. I have seen a couple range guns that were giving light strikes simply because the striker had gradually become fouled; something that will not be obvious to a quick field strip. And something that can effect any striker fired gun...

4. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, there are a whole lot of blind hogs, and a whole lot of turds from Springfield, Kimber and others.

5. Trunk Monkey

Taurus has a bad reputation for a reason. they made a bunch of junk guns for a long time.

Now rumor has it that they're trying to rebuild their reputation and they're making some halfway decent guns.

I'm not a collector. I own less than ten firearms total. I'm not going to take a chance on getting a POS gun from Taurus just to see if they really have improved.

6. Rancid

Well, I have three right now that are totally flawless, and this new 942 on the way, which will probably be flawless as well. Sorry if you don't believe us, but that's your problem.
    Go ahead spend two or three times as much and take a chance on getting a POS from S&W.
    :)
    Or be certain you never take a chance on getting a POS and never buy any guns at all. ;)

7. Trunk Monkey

When did I say I didn't believe you? I've said a couple of times that while Taurus generally produces junk they do occasionally let a good gun slip out of the factory.

8. Rancid

The three flawless ones I have are not occasional. Every one of them is flawless. If they produce turds, the turds are occasional ... just like with S&W, Ruger, Kimber or any other maker. And that, sir, is what you don't acknowledge.

9. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

This is a Brazilian thing. They are, difficult people.

10. Rancid

I am the first to say that their customer support SUCKS. There is customer support, and then there is customer service. And their service is commendable. The 941 22WMR that I sent in, nearly 5 years after purchase, and a good 2 years since they stopped making that gun was replaced with a brand new 942 22WMR, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. That 941 was one of Trunk Monkey's occasional turds.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  11. schnuffleupagus

The company I work for is owned by Brazilians and there are Brazilians in the office. One is really nice, the other is a world class d-bag

12. Rancid

One of my neighbors is really nice one is a world-class d-bag. I have no idea what nationality they are. :D

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  13. Trunk Monkey

Let us know when your flawless pistol gets back from the shp

14. Rancid

Guess you can't read. :D

15. Trunk Monkey

There are advantages to open carrying a Taurus. When somebody snatches it off of you you won't really be out much

16. Rancid

Oh, go get a life. PLEASE! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

My 9-shot stainless Taurus is one of my favorites for around the farm. Double-action is stiff but single-action is crisp and good. My problem with Taurus customer sujpport came when I somehow lost the blade to the adjustable rear sight. Adjustment screws are still there so I obviously didn't screw one in tight. Although I bought it second-hand, it was unfired when I got it. Anyway ...Taurus would not sell just the blade. Had to buy the entire rear sight - over $40 to replace a small part. I have Smiths, Rugers, and Colts but'd rather not bang 'em up or get them wet. Likewise, I use the Taurus to shoot up those loose .22's I find around the place - tackleboxes, tractor toolbox, garage floor, etc. All chambers hold the cartridges well enough to get good primer strikes regardless whether it's CB caps, shorts, longs, long rifles or shotshells. It's a tool and I use it often.

18. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I simply expressed a different experience. As I said before, I am not trying to bash anything, but sharing my real life experience. We can and do share our differing opinions and experiences here. I wasn’t saying you were lying or wrong either, so I am not sure what you intended with that comment. Anyway, like I began earlier I will end now, I am glad for your good experience; enjoy!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  19. schnuffleupagus

There are agitators everywhere. You could like a Sig and some H&K lover will call you a dupe. Like the CZ and some cat will tell you his 1967 Belgian Browning is sooo much better.
    I prefer the Taurus 92 to the Beretta because of the safety location. It is equal in all other respects. Our family has 2 G2Cs with about 1200 rounds through each and there are Taurus haters here that will tell us they will fail any time now.

I do not care for Hi-point but i hear they are pretty reliable.

Just breathe and ignore the agitators, you are allowed to like what you like.

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. Rancid

Yep, no need or inclination to worry about them like you do a safe queen or treat them like one either. But I take care of mine same as I would an expensive (over-priced?) S&W. They remind me of the old, old H&R .22 I inherited from my working cowboy uncle who carried it for years on his saddle. It hardly had any blueing left on it. The bottom of its grip frame had dimples in it from using it for a hammer to pound staples into fence posts. But it still shot accurately and reliably.

BullMoose429 likes this.