My new Taurus 942 22WMR

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rancid, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

My new Taurus 942 22WMR. Coming "soon".
    I had a Taurus 941 stainless 22WMR that I bought about 5 years ago. It shot WAY left ... even with the rear adjustable sight as far to the right as it would go it still shot left. I just put on the shelf and never shot the damned thing. They no longer make or offer the 941, and just recently came out with a new 942 in 22WMR. About a month ago I boxed up the 941 and sent it in to Taurus for warranty work. I just got off the phone with Taurus Customer Service (after my repair status check said to call them ... and being on hold listening to elevator music for a good hour). They told me they are replacing my 941 with a new stainless 942 in 22WMR. No clue on WHEN though. "Soon as a 942 is available" I am told. I can't find a 942 22WMR for sale ANYWHERE. But at least I know one is coming my way ... someday.

It will provide me a more economical way to practice for the short sight radius of my 605. I expect the trigger pull to be a bit greater than that of my 605 as is the case with all rimfire revolvers, and that will also help me shoot my 605 better.

A 22WMR is nothing to sneeze at, it is a viable self-defense round, especially with 8 rounds on board. This 942 is the same size as my 605 357. It will fit the same holster. And I have a pair of very nice Mango wood grips for it that are literally identical to those on my 605. It will give me a carry option depending on where I am going.

I have two Speed Beez speed loaders ordered for it.
    https://www.speedbeez.com/product/speed-beez-taurus-941-speed-loader-22-magnum-8-shot-2/

You may disagree, but I have found that .22 snubbies are more accurate than their 38/357 counterparts. This actually makes common sense. With the same barrel length, the smaller .22 bullet diameter equates to traveling down a "longer" barrel.

TAURUS 941
    TAURUS 941.jpg

TAURUS 942
    TAURUS 942.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

Good for you,,,
    And for Taurus for doing the right thing (for a change).

I am very interested in the 3" .22 LR version,,,
    I have an older sister who won't shoot anything but a .22.

I will never buy a Taurus sight-unseen,,,
    So I have to wait until they magically materialize.

Aarond

BullMoose429 likes this.

3. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

Pretty sweet little gun. Considering that 22LR is gonna be nonexistent for the foreseeable future, and 22 mag hasn’t been depleted too badly (at least in Maine), this seems like a pretty sweet deal.

4. Rancid

For me it is a sweet deal 'cause it is like getting a free gun. I had forgotten I even had the 941, re-discovered it while rummaging around for other stuff and decided to send it in with a "what the heck" attitude.

I have over 10,000 rounds of CCI 22LR ammo. I buy it bulk when it is easy to get. Early birds get the worms. I have over 1,000 rounds of 22WMR ammo as well.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    BullMoose429 likes this.
  5. Rancid

I called customer support today to try and get some kind of estimate for WHEN they might ship my new 942. No luck. All they can tell me is "They are back-ordered". Makes absolutely no sense to me ... back-ordered from WHERE? THEY ARE TAURUS ARE THEY NOT? Where the hell are they back-ordered from? They are TAURUS, they should KNOW when they will be manufacturing more and have some idea of when they can get one to Customer Service to ship to me. I HATE BULLSH*T!

6. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

It's a Taurus

7. Rancid

Nothing wrong with Taurus revolvers ... but their customer service SUCKS.

jackrich3 likes this.
  8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Rancid

My only question is the 942 does not look like it has adjustable sights like your 941 or does it?
    Nice to hopefully get a new Revolver anyway!

9. Rancid

The rear sight is adjustable for windage. Which is fine for me. The 942 isn't as nice as the 941, which had fully adjustable sights and was highly polished. I wish I would have sent it in for warranty as soon as I discovered it shot WAY left, and had gotten it replaced with a new 941, but alas, I didn't. But a new 942 will be very nice. If I don't die of old age before I get it.

Sniper03 likes this.
  10. Trunk Monkey

Of course nothing's wrong with Taurus that's why you had to send your gun back to the Mothership

jackrich3 likes this.
  11. Rancid

Name one gun maker, just one, where that doesn't happen on occasion. Otherwise please desist with bad-mouthing Taurus, they are no worse than any other. The quality of their guns is just fine, it is their customer service that sucks. And in their favor, they always make things right, no questions asked, which is NOT the case with many other makers ... their repair/warranty dept.s are separate from their customer service.

BullMoose429 and Capacitor like this.
  12. Trunk Monkey

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/dont-digtherig-part-2

Quote from article

I mean I'm sorry but Taurus has a bad reputation for a reason.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    jackrich3 likes this.
  13. Rancid

Name me one revolver that has feeding problems. My 941 and 942 revolvers are not semi-autos, they are revolvers. The article is totally irrelevant.

And I do not believe everything I read or pass judgement on a product based on one article obviously written by a biased author.

14. Trunk Monkey

Let us know when your Taurus comes back from the shop

15. Rancid

i
    I will ... after I put 1,000 rounds through it flawlessly like I have with my Tracker .41 magnum. :D

BullMoose429 likes this.
  16. BullMoose429

I’ve had issues with one of my Rugers- are you gonna say the same thing about Ruger? I’ve seen/heard of Smith and Wesson’s blowing up- is S&W a bad manufacturer? I know someone who had tons of issues with a Henry- are they bad too? No manufacturer is perfect. I just gave you three examples of high end manufacturers that have had issues. Just because my Ruger had an issue doesn’t mean I won’t continue to buy their products- I love Ruger.

Ghost1958, Rifling82 and Rancid like this.
  17. Rancid

I think a lot of the "Taurus hate" is because owners of much more expensive guns like S&W and Ruger resent the fact that Taurus manufactures guns that are every bit as good at half the price (or less) and they resent having to admit that and refuse to do so in order to live in their superiority bubble.

I don't ride a Harvey Diddleson either ... I ride a Royal Enfield Interceptor which is every bit as reliable and capable bike at less than a third the price. And my leathers aren't black with skulls all over the place, they are distressed brown and free of "macho B.S.". :)

BullMoose429 likes this.
  18. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I have a Taurus 94 in .22 lr that is a delightful little unit. I also know a guy who had his Taurus .357 launch its barrel down range on about the 15th shot.
    I've seen a couple of bum Smiths and one bum Ruger.
    But I'm not buying any more Tauri.

19. BullMoose429

You will agree that much of the Taurus hate is unfounded, right? Taurus has not shown a pattern of bad quality like the companies owners by freedom group like Remington and marlin. Taurus’s may not lock up as tight as the Smiths and Rugers- but they are damn reliable and I would never be afraid to carry one on my hip in the big woods

20. Rancid

I DO carry one on my hip in the "big woods". I ride my motorcycle a LOT on twisty two-lane blacktops through the mountains in Idaho / Montana. Encounters with black bears are extremely uncommon but they can happen, and there are stretches on those roads where it is 100 miles to the nearest toilet and no cell service whatsoever.
    AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 02.JPG
    And I carry another one (a 605) on my hip for defense against two-legged critters daily, and I trust my life to it.
    AAA TAURUS 605 357 MAG 1.JPG

BullMoose429 likes this.