My new Taurus 605

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rancid, Aug 26, 2020.

1. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll lose a world of sleep tonight over that for sure.

2. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in Idaho. Encountering a grizzly here is unlikely except maybe somewhere like the middle of the Bob Marshall wilderness area which is actually in Western Montana. For grizzly you are probably under-gunned with anything less than a 45-70 ... even a 454 Casull is marginal. I often ride a motorcycle through the mountains here, and the most likely encounter might be a black bear and even then probably non-threatening, and on my bike I carry a .41 magnum with hard cast bear loads.

BullMoose429 likes this.

3. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

No moose or bison?

4. Rancid

I spent 5 years as a survey crew chief surveying for timber sale access roads ... back-packing in for 10 miles and living in tent camps. Never saw a moose or a bison. But one time during a lunch break we heard a bull elk bugle. We were huddled around a small camp fire. One of the guys took an empty .22 case and started blowing over it for a high-pitched whistle. All of a sudden this very big, very pissed off bull elk came crashing out of the brush blowing snot and pissing all over himself in major fight mode. Scared the hell out of me.

And one time I found myself in the middle of a clear cut with nothing but a red and white survey pole between a BIG brown bear sow and her cubs. I just sat down on a stump and pretended I wasn't even aware of her or the cubs ... the most non-threatening thing I could think of to do ... running was a fool's errand. She stood on her hind legs and whuffed a few times, then ambled around me in a wide arc to her cubs and left into the woods. After changing my underwear, I think the bull elk scared me more.
    :)

Bigcat and BullMoose429 like this.
  5. BullMoose429

I always tell people I meet who aren’t from New England- yeah a bear is scary- but a moose is a whole other level. And the statistics prove it- you are not only far more likely to be attacked by a moose, but that attack is far more likely to be fatal or cause serious injury. Bear are smart- they know that we are just as big of a threat to them as they are to us. Moose don’t understand that- they think that because they are bigger than us- they are more dangerous than us. Moose are also not very bright and are unpredictable- they are prone to attacking whenever they feel scared or get startled.

Bigcat and towboater like this.
  6. Rancid

I have only seen one moose in the wild ... and not for long. He was in a little clearing surrounded by jack pine about 4" - 6" in diameter so thick it was hard to walk through it. He took off through those woods like a big snow plow, his wide antlers pushing those jack pine aside easy as pie and hardly making a sound. Just amazing.

Vab, towboater and BullMoose429 like this.
  7. Rancid

I have only had moose meat once. It was the best meat I have ever had ... hands down. We were out surveying way up in the mountains living in a tent camp ... the Forest Service had packed us in there with a professional outfitter with a big string of Hinnies (a Hinny is a cross between a horse and a mule) up about a 30-mile trail from the nearest road. One day here come these two guys on horseback with a pack string. There is a trail that traverses the Rocky Mountains from Canada clear to New Mexico, and they said they rode that trail every few years. They had bagged a moose, and fixed us a moose steak dinner. Talk about good ... OMG.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    BullMoose429 likes this.
  8. Rancid

OK boys and girls, VOILA all done!
    I think they look gorgeous ... they certainly feel gorgeous, slightly wider than the lighter grips from a different place and fill my hand better!
    I think they look MUCH better on this gun than the lighter grips!!
    AAA TAURUS 605 357 MAG 1.JPG
    AAA TAURUS 605 357 MAG 2.JPG
    AAA TAURUS 605 357 MAG 3.JPG

Here is where I got these grips. But a word of information for you is that few of them have coloration / grain as nice as this pair. I have four pairs. One of them is so consistently dark that you can hardly detect any grain. Two of them have very straight grain, one of those has very nice color variance, the other is more consistently darker. So it is sort of a crap shoot what you will get. For the medalions I ordered some Taurus grips for an automatic that had the medallions for about $10.00, then used my Dremel tool to remove the medallions. And I had to buy a Forstner bit to drill the flat-bottom holes to inlay the medallions into. And of course had to obtain some gloss wipe-on poly.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784BZKWL/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    BullMoose429 likes this.
  9. BullMoose429

10. Rancid

She is mine, all mine, and you can't have her!
    [​IMG]

11. BullMoose429

I’ve actually been thinking about buying a .38 Taurus. I used to own a Judge and I really like Taurus- great guns at great prices- same with Ruger.

12. BullMoose429

If I buy one though- I think I want to go with G10 grips for carry and some wood grips for show

13. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Those dark wood grips are about perfect!

14. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Please don't lump Taurus in the same league as Ruger.:confused::eek::oops:

AgedWarrior likes this.
  15. Rancid

They ARE perfect ... for me. They make the gun point dead on without using the sights. They might be a little slick for some though.

I have a Taurus 942 .22 WMR snubbie "on the way" which will have an identical set of grips on it. I had a .22 WMR 941 snubbie that shot WAY left no matter how far I adjusted the sights ... I had just put it on the shelf and not shot it for a couple years. I recently sent it in for warranty work, so they will have to correct it one way or the other. I know they can't fix the 941, and they no longer make the 941, so their only other option is to send me a new 942 (I think). It is right in the middle of its 12-week turnaround before they even look at it so I don't really know at this point what they will do.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

uh....no.

Rancid likes this.
  17. Rancid

My new 605 is a great little revolver, and this thread is about the gun, not the ammo. It is a great little revolver regardless what ammo I feed it, and excuse me, but I will carry whatever ammo I please ... that is my business and nobody else's. There are plenty of other places on this forum to weigh in and discuss ammo choices.

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  18. Rancid

And here is my backup. I carry two speed loaders, but this is my real "speed loader". It is as close to identical in size as one can get, and I carry it in a cross-draw holster. 16 rounds of 380. It is a Bersa Thunder Plus.
    AA BERSA 380 02.JPG

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Okay, nice pistol...but isn’t this thread only about your new 605...like YOU said? :p

20. Rancid

Well, you got me. :confused:
    Sort of. :p I will pretend I'm a CNN news anchor and say the Bersa is the "speed loader" for my 605 so we're still talking about the 605. :)
    In other words I will lie to you with a straight face. :rolleyes:
    And ever admit that I lied? NO. :eek:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020