My new Taurus 605

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rancid, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

My new 605 is like that too. VERY nice trigger!

2. Rancid

I am working up a pair of darker wood grips (mango wood), a chocolate brown wood that I think will look better with the brushed stainless. Will post pics with those grips in a couple weeks ... don't have them yet, and it will take about 10 days to get my medalions inlaid in them and enough wipe-on poly to get a smooth glass-like finish that I prefer.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0784BZKWL/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rifling82 and G_Whitcomb like this.

3. Rancid

I received the darker wood grips and they are stunningly gorgeous ... SUPER nice coloration and grain pattern! BUT ... I kind of screwed up when using my Forstner bit to drill out the holes to inlay the medalions in ... on the left grip panel the bit caught and tore a very small piece of wood out of the grip. I can fix it with a little dab of clear epoxy and wet-sanding it smooth, but that will take some time waiting for the epoxy to thoroughly cure, carefully wet-sanding it down, waiting for the wood to THOROUGHLY dry from the wet-sanding before epoxying the medallion in the hole. Then applying 10 coats of wipe-on poly, more waiting to dry, more wet sanding. Patience, patience, patience.

Thank God for Forstner bits and Dremel tools! I dearly love this little revolver, so this is a project of love!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    towboater likes this.
  4. Rancid

Well, my epoxy fix of the little torn out piece of the right panel worked well. Now I have to put a slight bevel on the edges of the holes for the medallions, epoxy the medallions in, then apply 10 or so coats of gloss wipe on poly.
    IMG_0874.JPG

5. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

Those are gonna look great on that gun

towboater likes this.
  6. Rancid

Thank you! I think they do, much nicer than the lighter grips.

BullMoose429 likes this.
  7. BullMoose429

Yeah- darker wood always looks better with stainless/nickel plated guns.

8. Rancid

I struck pay dirt on this particular set. I have three other sets for different guns from the same maker of the same Mango wood. It is a deep chocolate brown wood, usually with straight grain and very subtle color variations. Compared to those, this set is spectacular.

I am going to LOVE this 357!
    [​IMG]

BullMoose429 likes this.
  9. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny, you worried about a little trigger modification getting you called kill happy. What do you think Perry Mason will tell the jury of antigun, The View watching soccer moms about you stoking your carry with cop killer, hollow point magnums especially Buffalo Bore or Underwood magnums the most evil of all and only made to kill little misguided Johnny who had plans of being a doctor at St. Jude. I see an electric chair in my crystal ball.

The grips do look nice.

10. Rancid

See whatever you want to see.

11. sheepdawg

I guess you never know when you might encounter a pissed off grizzly bear. Knowledgeable people always told me to load my carry with what the police shoot or less.

Just a thought from an old guy.

G_Whitcomb likes this.
  12. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

Glaser Safety Slugs.

13. Rancid

The grips have come out very nicely. Now all that's left is to let the poly fully cure and mount them on the gun.
    IMG_0875.JPG

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. Rancid

The ammo I carry is not grizzly bear ammo or anywhere close to it. That aside, I would not be stupid enough to use a 357 on a grizzly bear no matter what ammo it was stuffed with ... all it would do is piss off the grizzly.

The ammo I carry is 158gr jacketed hollow point at about 1200 fps out of my snubby. Lots of 357 ammo is that powerful. Lawyers would have a very tough time with the argument you are attempting to present. I just think the Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo is of higher quality and therefore as reliable as possible.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    BullMoose429 likes this.
  15. Rancid

16. sheepdawg

You're the one concerned about a little trigger work yet when it comes to ammo you don't think a sleazy lawyer or Democrat DA would care that you were shooting magnum ammo??? Underwood and Buffalo Bore do have the reputation for being "hot" too. A decent anti gun DA could find that out in about two minutes. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Carry a 50cal. for all I care, I'm just scratching my head over your thought process. [​IMG]

17. Rancid

A 357 magnum is a 357 magnum ... unaltered. It is a common self-defensed round. Over-zealous lawyers can squeal all they want, my USCCA attorneys will send them packing with no problem. How many people carry 38 Special +P? Why +P? Those same supid-assed lawyers would make their same ridicuous arguement about that. If you want to carry a cork gun, go ahead.
    [​IMG]
    Trigger work is altering the firearm, and that can legitimately be argued as "making the gun more lethal".

18. sheepdawg

And isn't it true Mr. Rancid that you carry your revolver with cop killer Underwood 357 MAGNUMS? Why even the police quit carrying those back when they were still electrocuting prisoners because they were so dangerous. I must admit though it does show you have a good side by not having any trigger work done on your MAGNUM. Did you ask little angelic Jamal, this innocent potential doctor for St. Jude before you shot him with your MAGNUM if he felt lucky?

perry.jpeg

19. Rancid

That's it, sheepdawg, your "ignore button" is being pushed in 30 seconds. :D
    Go gnaw on a hapless sheep. Ther'll never be another ewe. :D:D

20. BullMoose429

I don’t know where you’re out of- but here in Maine we don’t have grizzlies, but we do have 600lb black bears and 1500lb moose. We tell people from out of state who bring 9mms and 45acp’s to file off the front site so it doesn’t hurt as much when the bear shoves with up your @$$. I would say the same thing to someone about a 357. In all seriousness- a heavy duty 44 mag or a 454 Casull would be my go to cartridge anywhere there’s grizzlies, coastal brown bears, bison or moose. 357 is great for personal defense against people- but I’d be afraid using it on anything bigger than a coyote as far as wildlife defense goes.