My new Taurus 605

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Rancid, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

This Taurus 605 was just delivered to my local FFL.
    I will pick it up tomorrow.
    I have a very nice set of full-size finger-groove grips for it. Will post pics with the new grips soon as I have it all together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  2. Bigcat

Bigcat Well-Known Member

I like it!

BullMoose429 and towboater like this.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Rancid

That looks like one fine Revolver! Wouldn't mind having one myself!
    Send us pictures and a Range Report!

towboater, Rifling82 and Bigcat like this.
  4. Rancid

It will be pictures first, range report later.
    I want to make certain it is in primo condition before taking it to the range. I have 100 blank cartridges, and will fire all of those first, looking for any failure to lock up or light strikes.

Bigcat likes this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks pretty nice. 24 oz should make it easy to shoot with 38 spl +P but it will be a handful in 357.

JimRau likes this.
  6. Rancid

For me, I don't think so. I plan to carry it stoked with Buffalo Bore 158gr JHP heavy 357 loads or Underwood 158 gr JHP loads. The grips I have for it are very nice full-size grips. I love shooting my .41 mag tracker with similar grips and it certainly won't be in that league. "Heavy recoil" is totally subjective ... what is stout to one guy is a puddy tat to another.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    ramjet likes this.
  7. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

I have a 3" 605 with Pachmyr grips as my carry gun and have for about 17 years. A 431 in .44 Spl. is my woods carry gun. Both wear Wolff springs, as do all my revolvers. I have been well satisfied.

8. Rancid

I am leaving my springs and trigger pulls well enough alone. The last thing I need is some over-zealous wrong-headed lawyer accusing me of "making my gun more lethal with intent to kill somebody". The trigger on my .41 mag Tracker is stock and just wonderful. The 605's I have tried have all had wonderful triggers.

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. SK2344

SK2344 Active Member

Taurus makes a Good Revolver and I think they are somewhat Under Rated. I purchased a All Titanium Model Snub Nose back in the early days and for some reason I traded it for something else and I don't remember why. The only thing I remember not liking was the Trigger, which to me seemed a bit gritty and not smooth enough but I am sorry that I got rid of it and I don't think they still make the All Titanium Model!

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  10. Rancid

I agree they are under-rated. But I think these days most of that comes from their absolutely abysmal customer service. They now have a 12-week wait before anybody will even look at your gun after it arrives there. And all customer service will tell you during that time is "there is a 12-week turn-around" like a stuck record. They have horrible stove-piping in their outfit ... customer service can't even contact the actual repair staff. But they do honor their warranty ... if you are patient enough.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  11. Rancid

I picked my new 605 up at my FFL today. It is flawless, works perfectly, has a VERY decent trigger and I am in love. I will try to get my new wood grips on it tomorrow and post pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JimRau likes this.
  12. Rancid

OK, here are the pics. I got the grips on Ebay, then got a pair of Taurus medallions and a forstner bit and inlaid the medallions, then gave the grips 10 coats of wipe-on poly. To keep the stock roll pin for the stock grips (which would have to be shortened for these wood grips), I ordered some 3X20mm roll pins, and shortened one of those with my Dremel tool. The holster is from 1791 gunleather and is an extremely high-quality holster. It was pretty tight at first, but left with the gun wrapped in a folded bandana crammed into it for two days and nights it is an easy draw but still has enough retention.
    IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0868.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  13. G_Whitcomb

G_Whitcomb Active Member

Sweet

14. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Lookin pretty good!

15. Rancid

16. Rancid

I love the trigger on my 605. DA it is VERY easy to stage for a crisp let-off. SA it is much lighter and very crisp at about 3.5 - 4 lbs. HKS speed loaders work pretty well, but if I need more than 5 rounds I will just grab my 16-round Bersa Thunder Plus 380 from its cross-draw holster. :)

This gun is almost the identical same size and weight as my Bersa Thunder Plus. The cylinder on this gun is no wider than the grips on my Bersa Thunder Plus, and these grips are much thinner. My Bersa conceals extremely well, so this should conceal actually better in the same place. I am a very happy camper!

BLM/Antifa had better not try to assault me! ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    Rifling82 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  17. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

I have always liked Taurus revolvers. Had a 608 that was a great gun. Not sure about their semi autos. Hope your enjoying your new gun..

18. Bigcat

Bigcat Well-Known Member

I agree.. a modern JHP +P 38 Special is the best fit for these type of handguns..
    That its .357 Magnum rated is a testament to the durability it will have when you limit yourself to 38 SPC...

19. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I have a M85 38 spl that I have owned for many years. Never had an issue with it.

I soured on Taurus and shied away, mostly because of their customer service and the class action.

i recently bought another Taurus after a long hiatus from the brand. the 692 revolver. Of course I bought it from Davidson’s just because of the Davidson’s guarantee. If there is a problem I will deal with Davidson’s, Davidsons can deal with Taurus.

As to the 692? I like it. A lot. The trigger is exceptionally good, maybe I just got lucky, but if you shoot it you would think I had it worked over, but it is just like it came from Taurus. Lockup is tight as a bank vault. It’s easy and comfortable to shoot. The 692 has, at least partially, restored my confidence in Taurus.

Rifling82 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  20. Rancid

I will practice with 38 Special and carry with the stoutest 357 magnum loads I can find. I will probably shoot a cylinder of 357 once every 6 - 8 months at the range. Heavy recoil doesn't bother me a bit, and for that matter, even when loaded with 158gr Buffalo Bore Hevy 357 magnum loads I don't consider it to be heavy recoil. At self-defense distances, the difference in POI isn't even enough to consider a different POA.

Quick follow-up shots in DA are no concern to me whatsoever because the ONLY time I will EVER shoot DA is if a bad guy is at arm's length and coming on strong.

I don't even consider this to be heavy recoil ... quite pleasant actually.
    AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 02.JPG

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    towboater and Rifling82 like this.