My new Smith M&P 15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Gatekeeper, May 3, 2010.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I recently sold all my SUR, my DPMS AP-4 and SAR-1 (AK) got sold to finance the purchase of a new progressive reloading press. Well about two weeks went by, and then I got my income tax return and I had to have a new black rifle.
    Was going to build one this time, had all the parts picked out and ready to order. Took a ride to a local shop to see if they had any lowers in stock to save on shipping and ended up buying a new S&W M&P 15 Moe edition, couldn't help myself, it had most of the components I wanted for about the price of the upper I had picked out. Figured I'd buy it and then change the few parts I needed to get what I really wanted.
    I could have done this with the DPMS I already owned but it would have involved completely stripping the upper, changing barrel, stock, handguards, bolt and carrier, too much hassle, so I sold it and got this
    [​IMG]
    Well it started out this way, just finished with my mods tonight, one week after purchase, and this is my new baby:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cont'd

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's a good looking stick you got there Gate. Have you put any rounds downrange yet?

Range Report? :confused:;)

JD

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

[​IMG]
    It came with all Magpul MOE furniture, the handguards I scrapped. My add ons were Magpul enhanced trigger guard and a Vortex SPARC 2moa red dot. I was gonna get an aimpoint micro but this sight was $200 with the mount vs $500+ without mount and I have seen some great reviews and a torture test that it passed with flying colors, decided to give it a try.
    So far I love it, we'll see how it holds up.
    Have it set up for Absolute co-witness with the folding BUIS and the Daniel Defense rail mounted fixed front sight. ( bad picture, I know:rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]
    -----------------
    [​IMG]
    Bolted on a Magpul single point mount plate, and BAD lever and a BCM Gunfighter extended charging handle(medium)

cont'd

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

patience my good sir:p

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Trimmed down the front sight gas block to fit under the 13" Troy TRX extreme battlerail, the name's a little cheesy, but the free float rail is solid and slimmer than the quad rails I've handled and comes with railed top and several smaller rail sections that bolt on anywhere you need them. I dont really need that much rail real estate, I added one for the Magpul AFG and might use a small one for a small light in the future.
    [​IMG]
    I like the longer handguard, since I have long arms and this gave me a longer sight radius as a bonus.
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't sure how I'd like the Angled fore grip, but I shoot carbine from a squared up stance, similar to the Isosceles pistol stance. The AFG mounted long actually works very well, I like it so far, very quick and steady when transitioning quickly between targets.
    The only other thing I added was a heavy buffer. The M&P comes with a standard carbine buffer and it seemed to have alot of bounce and vibration. I just received a ST-T2 Tungsten filled buffer from Spikes Tactical tonight and it really smoothed out the recoil impulse, and aided in shot recovery. I tested function using a very loose grip from the hip (basically limp wristing a rifle) and function was perfect.
    I'm working on a range report directly, I've got about 250rds through it now, here were my first groups tonight while sighting in the reddot at 50yds.
    [​IMG]
    Other than the one shooter induced flyer in the second group, it really seems like it's gonna be a shooter. May have to slap a scope on it to see what it really can do:cool:

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Final specs

Model: M&P15
    Caliber: 5.56mm
    Barrel Length: 16"
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 9"
    Front Sight: Daniel Defense Rail Mount(fixed)
    Rear Sight: Folding Magpul® (MBUS)
    Overall Length: 35" Extended/32" Collapsed
    Stock: Magpul® MOE
    Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
    Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized
    Chromed Comp: Barrel Bore, Gas Key, Bolt Carrier, Chamber
    Magpul Enhanced trigger guard(aluminum)
    --------Battery Assist Device (BAD Lever)
    --------Single point sling plate
    --------Angled Fore Grip
    Spikes Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle(medium)
    Troy TRX extreme battlerail
    Vortex SPARC red dot/mount

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Very Nice. Now, I want one. Thanks.:D

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Gate nice M&P stick...you got her set up nice, simple and tac-functional. You make me proud son.....:D

Jack

9. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

10. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

nice!

I'm salivating, slobering and drooling....not a pretty sight. Nice addition to the family. I want to build something similar to that but its going to take awhile. Just like the Johnny Cash song...one piece at a time!

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Good looking piece.

12. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Dang.... Nice stick sir... now i'm gonna have to spend my hard earned dollars on that rail system...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  13. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Any idea if it can mount a bipod via sling swivel? Thanks.

14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Doesn't have any sling studs installed.
    It comes with rail sections you can attach anywhere on the fore end you want.
    You could use an adapter that attaches bipod via picatinney rail that way.

15. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

So far its still on the first battery and going strong after nearly 2 months. I've used it a fair amount at 2 carbine side matches, several range trips, alot of dry fire practice, and have forgot and left it on a few times (it shuts off automatically after 6hrs)
    It has 5 brightness levels in normal mode. They state battery life is 120hours at maximum brightness, which doesn't sound like much, but that is super bright and easy to see at noon on a sunny day, about the only time I need max brightness.
    Battery life on minimum power is listed at 3400hours and is perfect for low light/nighttime use.
    It also has 2 nightvision levels listed at 4200 and 4600hrs.
    Have had no shift in impact through @ 1000rds, and so far it seems like a real solid piece.

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

AR's look like so much fun. I have a hard time wanting one since I played with the crappy ones in the army for so long. :p

My last year we got new m16's, I was out before I ever got to shoot it, but I did clean it many times. :rolleyes:

17. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Well Build one that suits your fancy. It's the army, did you really expect them to let you play with the cool new toys unless you reupped?

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Great looking rifle,Gate. Looks like a shooter also.

Have fun with it. THB