My new shield

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by Bcb577, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Bcb577

Bcb577 New Member

Hi all a cpl days ago I took my new shield .45 to the range for the first time and absolutely loved it! I was surprised that the kick of this gun wasn't worse considering the frame it's on. I also was surprised at my accuracy at 7 yards,I grouped them all into a 4 inch group punching out a big hole in the center. I've never had what some would consider great accuracy but not a bad shot either. I was pleased with the trigger,I heard so many negative things about it before I shot it I was a bit worried,but it functioned well. I put around a hundred rounds through it including some self defense rounds without issue. After the rebate I bought this for about 300.00.,not bad for this quality of a gun,i plan on this being my edc,but would like to buy a third magazine to carry with this considering its a 6+1 capacity. I've always been a smith guy since my duty weapon as a deputy sheriff was the awesome 5906.

2. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had a Shield 9mm for close to five years. You got a much better deal! I still carry mine all the time, even with all the new guns out. It still shoots well.

Enjoy the gun, it is a good choice, and a great deal.

3. Bcb577

Bcb577 New Member

I really liked the 9mm shield too,I held both but I already purchased a Taurus or 111 g2 a few months before and carry it often,but I had to grab the .45 ,glad I did!

4. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Mine is a .40 - great, reliable, shooter.

5. Donn

Donn Active Member

Have both, 9mm and 45acp. S&W did their homework, the trigger on the 45 is much better than the 9. Stippling on the 45 grip is much more aggressive than the 9, which is almost smooth in comparison.
    The 9 has been money right out of the box. Had some initial issues with the 45,
    which turned out to be a faulty recoil spring. It runs like a top now as well. They say a gun's only as good as the guy behind it. Maybe so, my Shields make it pretty easy to operate in the black on range day.

6. Jeppo

Jeppo New Member

I bought a couple Shield 9's the other day for $295 each BEFORE the rebate. Almost like the buy-one-get-one-free orange juice at the supermarket.

7. Bcb577

Bcb577 New Member

Glad your gun is running smooth now,I'm actually thinking about buying the 9mm also.

8. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Been considering the shield in .45 myself. Glad you like it! Where's the pics, got to have pics!!!!!!

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

If you do your research you will find the 45, in ANY gun, with a bbl length of less than 4.25 (Commander length) is not a good choice. :confused: A 45 is a low velocity round to start with, and when you shorten the bbl it losses velocity FAST. I observed MANY tests of the short bbl 45's and few even get to much over 700 fps and many don't even get to 700 fps!:(
    Again, just fact. And the 9x19 is probably the most effective/efficient short bbl round in the world. Even at 3 inches it will reach 1000 fps with most loads. Just some reality and common sense. Use it as you please.:)

10. cbpat1

cbpat1 New Member

My wife and I each have a 9mm Shield and I also have one in .45. I like the .45 better because I have big hands. I don't shoot it as well as I do my Glocks, which are bigger, but, I only have 70 rounds through the Shield .45. It functioned perfectly and I was impressed with the way it handle recoil and I plan on carrying it sometimes. My wife love her 9mm better.

Congrats on your new toy. They are an impressive little gun and are fun to shoot. I think S&W is taking a lot of Glocks little semi auto business away with the Shield, especially since they introduced the.45.

11. Daoust_Nat

That is exactly what we need. A Buy one get one free! It would be a better sales plan than Obama was.

12. Bcb577

Bcb577 New Member

Oh yeah ,you do lose some velocity with the shorter barrel,no argument there,but I do believe it will get the job done.when I was a Leo,my carry choice was a 9mm 5906 Smith and Wesson.The best all around caliber is definitely the 9mm.But I've seen and studied lots of film on the .45 and even with the shorter barrel is still very effective.I'm not into saying one choice for all is the best bet,I have my ccw and depending on what I'm wearing ill either carry my bodyguard.380,or TAURUS millennium g2 9mms,or my shield .45.I do train with them all,but I won't dispute what you've said statistically about the .45 but,,,,,,I promise it'll still punch big holes in a bad guy!

13. Bcb577

Bcb577 New Member

I'm still figuring out how to put pics on here,but I promise you it looks sweet,lol

14. JimRau

Do as you please, but a 45 at less than 800 fps will not expand reliably and will not cause a LARGE wound cavity, only a small round hole. 50 years ago the 45 was king becasue the small round hole was slight bigger than the other competitors becasue we did not have reliable expanding bullets. But in the last 40 or so years we have developed reliable expanding bullets and ALL the test and research show that the 9, 40, and 45 ACP'S cause nearly the same (with in 5%) wound cavity when you use the best ammo available fired at the RATED velocity. When I was on TEU (SWAT) in the early 80's (yes I am an old fart:p) I carried a 45 with my own hand loads loaded with 200 gr 'flying ash trays' and they were better than most factory ACP round at that time. But to day the Winchester 9 mm 127 gr +p+ is as good as it gets in both the full size and compact ACP'S. But if 'cowboy' ballistics works for you so be it. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  15. Daoust_Nat

I just bought new night sights for my Shield 9 mm. I had switched to XS sights two years ago, and do not like them. I bought these from Optics Planet. Will send pictures when I receive and install along with a range report,

16. Bcb577

Bcb577 New Member

even a small hole with a .45 leaves a big hole,lol it does please me to carry my m&p .45 !

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a short barrel 45 test you might be interested in.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoH4CMg1Shg[/ame]

18. JimRau

No it does not. 1/10 of an inch bigger than the 355 or 357. Like I said, 'cowboy ballistics';) Just the facts!:)

19. sandog

sandog Member

I just added another M&P to the arsenal, this one a .45 Shield. Now I need to get one in 9mm for my daughter.
    [​IMG]