my new Savage rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Crazycastor, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Just picked up my Savage rifle tonight after the 10 day waiting period. Wife was nice enough to get me a range finder to go along with it (Talk about love). The rifle feels so good and solid. I know it has the flimsy plastic stock but it actually feels pretty tight. Plan on taking it this weekend out to the desert and put some rounds down range and sight this bad boy in. First deer rifle I have bought in over twenty years.

2. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Forgot to add the picture

Attached Files:

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

4. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Looks good. What caliber is it?

5. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Savage makes a damn good rifle. Please let us know how it shoots, the caliber, the model, etc. And some the range finder?

6. monroe45CAL

monroe45CAL New Member

All savages are excellent my personal favorite is the modell 99 or 1899 own both and they are great and hold there value well

7. godale

godale Member

as a heads up if you ldont reload most savages favor federal or hornaday rounds well at least my 3 due anyway:eek:

8. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

What model and caliber? I really like Savage's rifles, easy to work on, good aftermarket support.

9. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

The Savage I just bought is a Savage hunter 111 in 30-06. It came with the Bushnell scope. It doesn't have the accutrigger and I think some one said the trigger pull on these areabout 8 pounds. I haven't shot it yet but I have dry fired it a couple of times just see how the trigger is and I love it. Its very predictable when it goes off and I like that. Its also very smooth too. The Bushnell range finder is an 850. Its a low end model but its fast at giving you distance. It will go out to 850 yards but believe it will range a deer at around 200 yards. I've tested the range on where I shootmy bow at and its right on with our marked off distances. It doesnt have any type of light to light up the readings on the inside but thats ok with me I think. Figured I mark the areas I hunt and get a preliminary distance and ut the range finder down. Will probably use it more for bow hunting.

10. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'm looking at a Model 10 in .308.

11. monroe45CAL

monroe45CAL New Member

8 Pounds on the trigger and u love it? Its a great gun but i would get a trigger job done so it breaks with a lot less weight. A lot of people don't beleve it but the more weight u got on the trigger the less accurate you will be. Shoot it at 100 yards with the trigger you got then get a trigger job and shoot 100 yards you will be impressed.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Best of luck with her and congrats!!

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If CC is like me, I am an ape. I shoot Military rifles w/ 2 stage triggers. When my big 'ole bugger hook touches a trigger, I can feel the instant before it breaks. I have to really remain aware when I shoot my CZ527. Even in double action it is only a 2lb pull. 8lb pull is nothing.
    Bugger hook in action.
    [​IMG]

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Is it a short(er) action DFlynt? I had a blond Savage in .22-something-or-other, unfired (tag still on triggerguard), with a spare mag, factory side scope mount and scope but sold it to a guy who really appreciated it. That was before universal background checks. I should have had him register the reprint of Teddy Roosevelt's African Game Trails he got with it!

Hey, where is there a 10-day waiting period to buy a rifle anyway? What's the point of that exactly!?

15. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I thought long and hard about getting a 308. Only thing that stopped me was the lack of bullets. They had 308 bullets there but they wanted $50.00. They were precision type bullets not your hunting rounds. I plan on reloading 30-06 so I can tame them down if I have to

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

One can't go wrong with a .30-06. The only real question would be is a .308 close enough. I'm just curious about the action. The current Savage's would be on my short list for any new bolt gun -- they seem an excellent value. It really is a buyers' market for pistols and rifles these days. So much quality for such fair prices if you're lucky enough to be working at the moment.

17. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

My Dad did a trigger job on his 308 and my brothers 30-06. I don't like how easy their triggers are. Half the time I don't feel the trigger when it goes off. Now I haven't shot mine yet other dry firing it so I won't be able to tell how I like it with bullets in it until I shoot it. About the trigger poundage. I got that number from a couple of people on here so I don't know the actual poundage. I just hope when I shoot it, it works for me because there are no gunsmiths out here that can work on the trigger for me.

18. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Too.Many.Savage.Models.To.Choose.From.Must.Pick.One!
    I swear I've been staring at their catalog, websites, etc, for weeks and can't decide which one or to go .308 or 30-06...
    Can't wait to hear how she shoots, especially with the stock scope.

19. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

This weekend will be the big test for me. Plan on sighting it in at 25 yards, then 100. Then I'll range out to 200 and 300 yards. If everything goes good at 200 then I will try the 300 yard shot group.

20. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Yes it is the short action version of the Model 110.

Like I said in another thread, 30.06 and 30-30 ammo are the Chevy 350 of the ammo world, stuff is everywhere!:D

I want this Model 10 because I already have .308 ammo from when I had another Savage Model 10 and an L1A1, so I have 100 rounds of Black Hills 168 gr BTHP Match ammo and most of a battle pack of 147 grain FMJ ammo.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013