My new Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by duelist1954, Jul 12, 2014.

1. duelist1954

duelist1954 New Member

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a .44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk revolver. I’ve been wanting one of these for a few years, but I’ve been patient about it. This one was offered to me a few weeks ago as part of a trade, and, and, even though I was looking for one with a shorter barrel, the whole deal was so good that I couldn’t say no.

I’m the third owner of this gun, but the first one to ever fire it, which is pretty neat. As it turns out, it is a sweet shooting revolver.

Here’s a video of my first range session with the Redhawk.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk609qKRjgs[/ame]

2. duelist1954

duelist1954 New Member

Here’s a picture of my Redhawk

[​IMG]

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looks nice . I ran into a similar situation on a S&W 29. It had an 8 and 3/8" barrel, but the deal seemed too good to pass on. I ended up trading it off, but liked that .44. Still searching for the great deal on one with a 4-6" barrel.

Congrats on your find.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

very nice.

i recentlly got a super redhawk in 44mag. been on my wishlist forever and im not a big revolver person.

congrats on the new gun ruger makes the best revolvers out there

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a Dan Wesson 15-2 with a full set of barrels. I use the 10" barrel more than the rest of the barrels. You do need a drop down holster or belt to draw the 15-2 with a 10" barrel quickly. But once you draw the gun it is like having a hand rifle. The gun is a true 100 yard shooter. Fiocchi 125/158 gr HP ammo can be found for $22 or less for a 50 round box.

For the 44 mag you have to reload to shoot it a lot. Right now I am typing with a wrist brace due to 357 mag ammo injuring my hand and wrist. Wear a wrist brace before you injure yourself with big bore pistols. In fact, I am going to invest in some "panda paws" like gymnasts wear. To protect myself when I shoot any gun larger than a 22lr. The wrist braces weight lifters wear are more manly but they are not washable. Panda Paws are washable and come in large and XL sizes.

6. headhunter

headhunter Member

I find mine an awesome gun. I purchased mine when I did some silhouette shooting and Smith was having some indexing problems with the 629. I'd hate to guess at the total number of rounds fired. The only thing that has left me shaking my head in bewilderment is using the same components my Ruger (7 1/2 inch barrel) is almost 100 fps slower than my newer Smith (5 inch barrel). I still like my Redhawk and have added Hogue grips and a green fiber optic front sight. It is big enough and heavy enough it rides in a shoulder rig. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

7. targa

targa New Member

Nice gun, great review !!

8. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Sweet. I have got to get my buddy to the gun range with his Redhawk and Remington R1.

9. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Great video.
    I bought my Redhawk many years ago.
    Of course bought a box of .44 magnums.
    Soon switched to .44 spec.
    Love the gun. :D

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

"new ruger super blackhawk"

I was hanging out at my local gun shop yesterday just looking around. I spotted this beauty... a 1975 Ruger Super Blackhawk. This wheelgun is spotless! It has a 4.62" barrel with a 2.5 pound trigger, and a Hogue Rosewood laminated grip. She came home with me for a piddling $400.00. I just love Single Action Rugers...

Attached Files:

11. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

That is a damn nice find.

12. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

My Neww Ruger Redhawk

The chamber is longer, in the Ruger is the reason for less velocity, I think. The Ruger can handle stouter loads in .44 also.
    The Super Redhawk can really handle some hot loads. hotter than the Super Blackhawk. There are some .44 loads labeled 10.5 magnum using the Hornady bullets with thee canalures. I will have to dig to find the data. The overall lengths with the thes bullets and others is a lot longer than standard oal for .44.

13. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I have successfully shot 305 grain JHP's & 345 grain Hard Cast 44 Magnums in my Rugers many times. Cylinder length wasn't an issue for either one. But, you have to be careful as the pressure reaches +P++ range. My new (L Frame S&W) Model 69 Combat 44 Magnum gobbles up these "mega-magnum" rounds all day long.

Attached Files:

14. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Great video! Somebody's really havin' fun!
    Ruger makes superb revolvers, both DA and SA! Super strong, and they'll last forever. My Vaquero's, Blackhawks, and Super Blackhawks will be with me until my hands are cold and dead. I wish I could get permission from the boss lady to get a Redhawk, but I'd have to win the Powerball first.

15. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I never ask for permission.

16. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I have a 3 screw SBH, for old times sake. Not thrilled with it, prefer Smith.
    Never a fan of the Redhawk, buddy got one when they first came out- he took two hogs with it (loves it still).
    I like the SRH a little better, not as good looking, but the 9.5" bbl makes it tolerable.
    Hate the grip but man it was a shooter, took this little dude out a ways....

[​IMG]

17. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Freakin' prices on all of them have gone silly.
    No deals to be had, even with PCRs all the rage here now.

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

My next gun will most likely be an old school wheel gun, or an o/u shotgun. Nice video OP!

19. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The Ruger has an investment Cast receiver. It must be heaver and added bulk to match a S&W Mdl. 29 or Colt Anaconda. The Colt and the S&W are milled from steel billets and have higher tensile strength in a smaller package.
    The Ruger is a fine handgun but it is not the quality of guns made the old fashioned way. I like the reduced bulk of milled steel handguns. My Mdl. 29 4" has traveled with me since the late 1960s. It has seen more geography than most handguns ever will.

20. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Smiths break trigger pivots with heavy loads. That's why they changed some stuff and called it the "endurance package". They are nice and trim, but pre EP models do crap out.

Smith will fix 'em though.