My New Ruger P95

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ninjatoth, Jan 19, 2010.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Well,I got my first auto.It is the lowest cost bare minimum Ruger there is-but it's still a Ruger and it's still american made.I traded a used Rossi 462 .357 snub,a Taurus 94 4" .22 and $30 cash for the P95,and it is the all blued P95,but I actually like the all blued better than the two tone.I got this gun because I wanted a 9mm and I wanted a change from revolvers.I love revolvers and favor them-but lets face it,a simple rugged 9mm with 15 rounds in it beats any revolver in firepower,a high capacity auto is just a tool to me-a great high capacity tool.Revolvers are eye candy and toys to me,they are art and just awesome,but a simple auto is a tool to me.Now to range report-I put about 150 rounds through it,got two jams on the first 50 rounds-stripped it and cleaned it well,oiled the slide rails-went back out with 100 more rounds and got 1 jam out of 100-so I think i'm doing good being a new auto shooter with cheap ammo and (might) be limp wristing.I keep the gun loaded with Federal Premium Hydra-shok 124 grain standard pressure rounds-15 in the mag with an empty chamber.I like the gun and I plan on keeping this one for a long time.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkun3ASOqFQ]YouTube - The Ruger P95 9mm 15+1[/ame]

Attached Files:

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The ruger series are underrated and great guns for the money!!

You done good!

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Great, enjoy your new pistol!

4. russ

russ New Member

I'm a big Ruger fan. I think they are one of the best bang-for-your-buck (pun intended) guns out there, and the P-series autos are rock solid. It looks like Ruger has made some improvements to the grip area, my wife has an older P95 that has no dimples in the grip area nor does it have the picatinny rail. Hers is the two tone, but I agree with you, the all blued looks better. Congrats on the new purchase.

5. 351mustang65

351mustang65 New Member

congratulations.

I like my ruger a lot and the fact it is made in america!

6. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

Congrats and welcome to the club. Over 500 rounds in and not a single burp , hickup or problem with my p95pr two tone hi cap 9mm.... I love my p95, even if some complain it is a little bulky

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I got 3 hangups on 150 rounds of ammo,but I am new to auto's,and I have been recently informed that it might be me limp wristing,so I probably wasn't the gun.I think for a $300 gun with the Ruger name on it,it is great.I have heard of other people spending more on Taurus stuff that jams every other round.

8. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

well first and foremost 150 rounds is still VERY early in your pistols life, and WELL WELL WELL within the needed break-in period. I recommend not being discouraged at all, REGULARLY and thoroughly cleaning your firearm with a CPL oil like some otis ultra bore or something, and maybe watching a video on the proper way to hold a firearm when firing (in the web of your hand, both thumbs on the same side of the firearm pointing towards the target, etc) and KEEP ON SHOOTING IT WHENEVER U CAN AFFORD TO!

Limp wristing can lead to even some of the best firearms malfunctioning from time to time, ESPECIALLY when they are new and fresh out of the box.

This is just my 2 cents, but i hope it helps :)

9. N.D.

N.D. New Member

Mas Ayoob thinks very highly of them, or at least the P45 and if I'm not mistaken has even competed W/ them; congrats on the new tool!

N.D.

10. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

Good for you! Ruger makes good stuff. Under-rated. Once you get accustomed to an auto, you'll really like it.

11. 995

995 New Member

Congrats on the p95 I have one in too tone got it about tree months ago and it is a nice gun.

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! Just clean it well, lubricate it well and then shoot the heck out of it. Then repeat a bunch. That will break it in and get you comfortable and confident with it. :cool:

13. WDB

WDB New Member

The Ruger P series is a quality pistol. I own three including a P95. Fun to shoot and hold up well over time. Hard to wear them out, I put a lot of rounds through them and they still work like new.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm assuming that was you in the vid? Nice gun and I didn't see any malfunction during the vid clip.

Can I give you a suggestion for the FTEs?

You're tea cupping the gun with that grip. Move your weak side hand up one finger notch. Keep the weak side hand in front of the strong side and not under it! With this change also transfer your grip "squeeze pressure" over to the weak side hand (about 60% of the holding pressure).

Place your weak side thumb over your strong side thumb and capture it during shooting.

Now here's the secret, your first area of concentration is the front sight (of course) but also pay some attention to the asymmetrical application of pressure by allowing your strong side hand to relax. (When your trigger finger hand is tense, it screws up the entire hand geometry of the trigger pull. It usually causes the hand to follow the finger and pull the muzzle down and to the weak side. Do you typically shoot low left?)

You won't believe how much more relaxed your whole shooting stance will be and this one small change will will improve your 10 ring count! [​IMG]

15. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have been starting to get FTE's on about 5% of my shots.The gun dealer says that it is a result of limpwristing,Is this true?I knew stovepipes were from limpwristing,but I had not heard FTE's were a result of it.I have been experimenting with getting my weak hand in front of and not underneath my strong hand,but it isn't a natural feeling,so I know I am probably teacupping some of the time when i'm not thinking of how to hold the gun.Tell me if my grip looks better from before.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  16. Force4000

Force4000 New Member

Nice purchase. enjoy!

17. gsingle972

gsingle972 New Member

I know this is late in posting - but for all thats interested, I have the Ruger P95 and it just hates Win White Box ammo. Mine did everything Ninjatooth's did esp during break-in. I switched ammo, kept shooting and its troubles are all behind me now. It loves Blazer, Rem, and American Eagle (all good $-wise). Yeah the P95 is not my #1 go too but its really a good 9mm. Everyone hang in there, break'em in and believe in our USA Ruger guys!

18. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I have a P85 with 800-1000 rounds down the pipe. I had a few FTF and a few FTE, but that was shooting 10 year old cheap european ammo and mostly by my 85 lb 10 year old. I'm sure limp wristing played a big part of the failures. That was 4 years ago. I have put about 400 rounds through it since without a hiccup. Mostly Winchester White Box, Blazer Brass, and Monarch. P Series are built like tanks and usually pretty reliable. Enjoy the 95.

P.S. I'm jealous of the fact that you feel the need to wear a coat. We have had triple digit temps for weeks in Dallas.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010