My new project!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by jpattersonnh, Mar 19, 2010.

1. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I've wanted a K98k sniper for some time. One of my good friends is known as about the biggest collector and supplier of true WW2 K98 snipers. Well the last one that he sold went for $16000.00. It is slightly over my budget. So I decided on a repro. Rifle is a 1944 Czech M24, which were used and made into Snipers by Germany. $300.00. The mounts(high turret) and rings will be from Austria, so close to original only an expert would know. $1000.00. Mounted in Pa. $150.00 + shipping with scope. Scope I want is a 4x90 Ajack, $750.00.
    $2300.00 Max. The last rifle I saw from the gentleman that mounted the bases was Zeroed without any adjustments. Drilled, tapped and silver soldered.

2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

"I love it when a plan comes together."

Pictures expected. Lot's of pictures..... ;)

3. jpattersonnh

Better news. The $1000.00 tag on the mounts and rings INCLUDES the scope.
    $1100.00 shipped and guaranteed!

4. junho806

junho806 New Member

you'll like that M24
    even with cheap surplus ammo and open sights its accurate
    :)

definitely put up some pictures
    :D

5. jpattersonnh

The rifle is actually in a book my buddy Dave brought over. I'm getting a steal at $300.00. Not a pick of the model, but the actual rifle.

6. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Sounds good. Can't wait to see some pictures of it when it's completed. Oh and a range report on it's accuracy..

7. jpattersonnh

Should have the rifle next week. The scope, rings and bases will be sometime this summer, finished by late summer. My buddy Dave is contacting the gentleman to mill the rings and bases, and see what scopes he has to complete it.

8. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

do you have a picture of it?

I have alwayd wanted one also i heard they are amazing deer hunting rifles

9. jpattersonnh

I have a Husqvarna 640 (1947 Belgian 98 receiver,1955 Husqvarna build in 8x57 w/ short side rail scope mount.

Well the new build is happening faster than I thought. I have the rifle, just needs some cleaning. It is dou stamped w/ one dirty bird, so the action and barrel are German occupation vintage. It is also BRNO stamped and has Czech acceptance stamps. It is a semi-kreigs model.
    I have the scope and rings already on the scope. It is a 1944 Zeiss Zielvier w/ 1" sunshade, rings are low turret style, so all I need are a set of low turret bases that will be coming from Austria in about a month.

Cost so far:
    Rifle: $300.00 + 36.00 shipping
    Scope and rings: $1000.00
    Bases: $200.00
    Mounting bases: $200.00 guaranteed zero.

$1776.00 Total. Call it 1800.00 w/ the shipping of the barreled action, bases and scope to Pa for mounting.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It sounds like a great project. I wish you well with it. Please post pics and a range report when you can.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

What a project, I admire you very much! Please post photos when you can.

12. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

13. jpattersonnh

The bases are on their way. They are a mate to the scope and rings. The scope and rings came from the same guy years ago. He charged less than qouted. I am lucky to know the people I do.

14. Jynx

Jynx New Member

Very nice looking! Awesome project. Can't wait for the range report :)

15. jpattersonnh

OK, talked to the Smith today. When I told him where the bases came from (Robert Spielauer, Austria) his price went from $200.00 to $150.00. He told me a 1 week turn around. Now I'm stoked.

16. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

I like the pattern in the wood. That gun has character.

17. jpattersonnh

All right! Got the barreled action back today w/ the mounts attached and the rings had to be realligned on the scope. So a little rebluing and solder was involved. He lapped the rings to get a better fit. I did not realize the Germans used rust bluing. He uses the same components and techniques as were used in WWII. I'll put her back together tomorrow and go sqeeze off a few rounds. He gaurentees to be within 1" left/right and zero at 100 yards. I'm really happy w/ the work and price. I'll be using 1940's Portugeuse heavy ball to try her out. I have 2 rounds of late '30's German sniper ammo left. Post pics tomorrow. JP

18. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

Jp this thread is near and dear to me. I picked up my first bolt rifle in Oct its a turk mauser thats a capture and restamped. i need to look up more info on it when i get home tomorrow. love your setup but i went a lil more modern with my scope and mount choice.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I've been waiting for the update on this one JP. Can't wait to see the finished product, and a range report.