My New Old Toy :)

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Gert999, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Thanx to my dad not knowing anything about firearms i got me a new gun :D My mom had gotten my grandfathers H & R sportsman 9 shoot .22 revolver. Had to clean it before i was able to shoot it, my dad had put 100 rounds through it and "Cleaned it" found out his idea of clean is wiping off with a rag :eek: When i got it home and really got to clean it i took off the cylinder and the oil was the same my grandfather had put on it prolly 15-20 years ago :confused: We'll needless to say i get to keep it since my mother knows i'll take better care of it :D The firearm has one full piece handle so think it's pre war gotta check the serial though. Shoots decent though :cool:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Pics! I'm partial to h&r products just because they were made 15minutes away.

3. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

H&R used the one piece grip on the Sportsman models until 1954 I believe.
    It may have been 1953 that they changed to the 2 piece grips.
    Not sure which year.

4. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

working on the pics can't seem to get em to post can't reduce the size. I'll figure it out lol gotta work a double today will get you em when i can. Also any good websites to look up the serial number can't find any.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Sight searching takes a while. I'll check my books and see if I can give you a guide.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Introduced 1936-1985 and reintroduced 1992. That's about all I have on hand from 4 different sources. H&r info can be hard to narrow down.

7. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Does the serial# have a letter prefix?
    If so, post it, and I will tell you year of manufacture.
    If it has no letter prefix, it was built pre 1940.

8. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

ya it starts with an A but has the one solid piece handle

9. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

A prefix = 1940 manufacture.

10. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Thats cool thanx man really wanted to know got re-blue it other then that it's in good shape

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Normally I would say not to reblued a gun like that but its only worth about $350 max so doing so isn't gonna hurt anything.

12. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

I don't plan on selling it since it was my grandfathers, and i've never reblued anything would like the practice. Plus would like to have it looking new:) plus like u said it's not worth a whole lot so can't really hurt it