My new (OLD) scope, and a little help, please.....

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Anna_Purna, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

So last night I put on an old Redfield Tracker 3x9x40 scope I had from buying my used Sako 222 last summer, and for the life of me, I cannot remove the scope cover (Butler Creek). Anyone have any ideas on what the person may have 'glued' it on with, and what I could use to remove it? Or are they really just this tight? The scope has scuffs and scratches, so if all else fails, I might just have to bring home one of my scalpels and cut it off.

Sleepless in Soldotna.
    [​IMG]

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Whooops! I should have put this thread in the Scopes and Mounts section, but too late now, so whatever. :p

3. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Grab a ball point pen (plastic)and start working on the edge. The pen will NOT fix those sheets though.;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

lol

Thats my comforter, and apparently yer not! :p

But I shall try, oh master.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCYfrAPEz38[/ame]

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Hair dryer may heat the plastic and make it a bit more flexible to move, without too much heat in the scope itself.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Plastics can ooze a bit during prolonged exposure to heat and then bind to a surface. It may well be that the owner got frustrated with the cap coming loose, and reinforced it with super glue. I would do what you already suggested. Use a carving or surgical blade, cutting edge up.

Attached Files:

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Whoot! Whoot! Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody. I just got it off!

I thought I had better start with the least destructive method, using Docs Hairdryer method, and after about a minute of heating and prying, and then reheating and prying, it twisted right off. The previous owner did use some kind of glue, as it was all gunky underneath, so now I just have to clean it off with some solvent and sparkle it up a tad.

Thanks again, everyone for the tips.

8. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Glad it turned out OK

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Awesome. For a safe solvent, Goo Gone.

10. SSGN_Doc

Glad it worked out for ya.

11. SSGN_Doc

Or we can dip back into her other beauty supplies and use a little nail polish remover on some cotton balls.;)

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I think i should have used a blow torch, the scope is utter crap.

But thanks again for the help.

13. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

What's exactly wrong with this particular Redfield? I realize that used scopes can be abused by their previous owners and can be rendered useless, but in general Redfield made great scopes that can take a reasonable amount of abuse and none have ever caused me any problem.

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

The Focal end-cap piece to focus the reticle has to come out (or unscrew) so much for it to be focused, that it is barely has enough threads to grip onto. Making it wobbly and would fall off if I'm not careful. So something has been bumped or something to take it out of focus???

15. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Probably distorted by the extreme temperatures (and water/icing if not water resistant) Assuming your eyesight not an issue.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't waste your time with Goo Gone. Go right to Goof Off. MUCH better solvent. I ALWAYS have some on hand. It even removes candle wax from carpeting

17. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I'd contact Redfield cause some time ago someone I knew had a scope repaired by them at no charge out of courtesy. It was a company that stood behind their product. It's certainly worth a call.

18. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I was gonna suggest paint cross hairs on it but you got it off . :confused: :D

19. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Redfield now owned (name) by Leupold.
    IIRC you'll need to send it to a outsider repair place.

I had a Tracker years ago (when Redfield still in biz). It got a rattle...........which was the reticle ring loose. there were a couple of screws that held it to the inner tube.

The rear eyebell just screwed off, I did not have to remove the rear lens and retainer to access a lockring inside (like some others).

I tightened the screws and took the scope to work. There we had nitrogen cabinets for IC wafer storage and I took a clear trashbag from the lab and put the main scope body and segregated rear eyepiece in the bag. Pushed out as much air as I could...........and then filled the bag to 1/2 full with nitrogen. That allowed me to rethread the pieces together (since bag not full I could grasp them).

Ran it without issue, but later sold it at a big gunshow. A yr later I was at same show (not local, about 50 miles away) and some dude comes up to me and goes "DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!"

I didn't recognize him, turns out it was the guy who bought my scope. Said THANKS..........as he shot his biggest deer with it in crappy weather, the scope worked perfectly.

WHEW!

20. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Is the lack of focus due to contamination?
    Oils/adhesives...........heat might have made some get in past an O ring.
    Or maybe it's just internal moisture (like another stated, a rapid temp change of extreme).

Too bad it's not a 4 or 2-7X, I'd be interested in buying it for a chance at rebuild ;)