my new/old rehabed upper

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Jan 13, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks HighPlanesDrifter that upper is finally together.

its got a m16-a1 barrel 1:12 twist (my spare barrel want to find one more for a backup). RRA chrome plated BCG. the lower is the same lower i use for my 458 socom upper and my olympic 45acp upper. i havent shot it yet and wont be able to until spring. front sight post is from dpms and is .050 round style.

mycolt sp1 can retire after over 20 years of use. its just to hard to replace and has a lot of sentimental value to me.

[​IMG]

triangle handguards one has a small couple of surface marks the plastic isnt scored.

[​IMG]

chrome bcg from rra

[​IMG]

for shihan, yes i have a bayonet for it!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Cool looking rifle Jon. I always thought it would be cool to build an older looking service rifle but with all of the new stuff like the newer feed ramps and bcg's that are out there. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.

3. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

the true definition of KISS and as far as i go its a true shtf rifle, plain simple and dont have all those things hanging all over it, great looking rifle.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you count the lower total cost was around 770$ it was so low because i bought the barrel back some 10 years ago when peeps were throwing em away. sans lower just the complete upper cost me around 335$.

it mostly has new make stuff from the lower to the bcg the only real old stuff is the barrel which shot really well when i had it on my sp1 for a bit, round 200 shots. it doesnt need feed ramps as all thats going through it is 55grn fmj and 55 grn softpoint for yotes.

cant sight it in till spring :/

the lower needs either a good trigger job or a better trigger. its just the basic dpms milspec. once spring hits ill do range report with all its uppers.

5. You did good man. I love the rifle. When spring hits let us know how she shoots.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you ever have a chance to fire an old school AR it will change your religion. its so light fast and accurate. you dont need red dots holo sights etc. its just point and shoot. much like jmb's 1911 its a natural pointer.

its why i just never jumped on the tactical heavy barrel ar craze. i fell in love with my old sp1 from colt and never really looked at anything else. had a m16a2 in the army for the few times i carried one instead of an m60. couldnt stand it. the a2 was so heavy and slow.

thats why i jumped on the a1 upper high planesdrifter was selling. i already had the barrel and spare handguards. all i needed was the reciever and bcg.

indeed i will. its part of a set now. the other pieces are a 45acp upper and a 458 socom upper. i would like to add a dedicated 22 upper at some point.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  8. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

jon you are correct on the old school AR, i played with the m16 alot in southeast asia. i too like like, its what it was meant to be. i had an old Colt AR15 when i got home but sold it later years when i first got married, wish i still had the darn thing.

9. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

nice not a big fan of the a2 style black rifles but they are still good to look at. sorry dont mean that to sound negative i just prefer a flat top is all. like the kiss look tho

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

It's an A1:p
    Nice Rifle sir.... I plan me one one day soon:)

11. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Nice rifle. Personally I prefer the more "tacticool" AR-15s of today 'cause they are are more adaptable and easier to personalize.

That being said though, that's a cool piece of history. I vote you should pull the BCG of the SP1 (keep it of course, ya' never know when you'll need it again) and hang it up on a wall/fire place/over the bar in your man cave or somethin'.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

its A1 style but everyone has their own pref :)

13. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

My bad. thats what you get when you dont pay attention i guess:eek: