My new old gun...got info???

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Nfernaays, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

Picked up this Krag sporter last weekend. Looks like the work was done by RF Sedgley. The info i have found on him looks like did most of his work on 03's but did work on Krags. Its got an interesting front sight and a Redfield peep sight on the back. Anyone seen one like this before? Info on Sedgley Krags? Was scope mount post Sedgley work on rifle? What u guys think?

Attached Files:

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't know the pedigree of the sporterizer, but that is a beautiful rifle.

3. GLKmiester

GLKmiester New Member

I bought a krag a few years ago that looked very similar to this one. It also had the redfield sights. I took it to a reputable gun shop and they told me it was worthless because of the stock being cut up. I took the same gun to gander mountain and they paid $500 for it.

I paid $200 for mine. The only reason I sold it was because ammo cost around $30-$40 for a box of 20.

4. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

Anyone that would "sporterize" and antique rifle should be hung from a street lamp by their thumbs!!:mad:

I mean, why would anyone willingly chop up a piece of history? Now if you build a "sporterized" version from parts, that is different.:)

5. fmj

fmj New Member

"Thumbs" you say!?!? I would say "happy parts"!!

Those idiots on American guns did this a couple weeks ago. Dumbass brought in his gramppas Krag to be desecrated.

Sickening!

6. TDS92A

I watched in horror as they did it!! Finished the show in the fetal position whimpering.:eek:

7. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

I do appreciate a vintage untouched original rifle but this was at a killer price and in better shape than any krag ive seen before. And from what heard sedgley was one of the best at sporting guns

8. fmj

fmj New Member

That makes two of us.

I also see on Pawn Stars idiots coming in and selling heirloom guns that had been handed down for generations....I could just IMAGINE the "visit" i would receive from the graves of my forefathers if i EVER EVEN THOUGHT about selling the guns i am the caretaker of...

9. fmj

fmj New Member

OH i understand you didnt do or initiate the desecration but bought it that way instead...we're just talking "side bar".

10. TDS92A

I watched an episode last night where guy came in with a mid 1700's Double Barreled Coach gun that was passed down to him from his Great-Great Grand Father or something in that line. Was told that it would fetch about $20,000 at auction and let it go for $4,000.00 in a swap for a Les Paul guitar of the same value only because his wife TOLD him to get rid of it.:eek:

11. TDS92A

No one is faulting you. You bought it that way.:D

12. fmj

fmj New Member

First, what an IDIOT...buti see it all the damn time on that show.

as for the wife telling me to get rid of ANY of my guns (we wont even discuss the heirloom ones) can you say grounds for divorce?

13. TDS92A

The pre-requisite for my next wife is that she will have to enjoy firearms as much or more than I do.;)

But not to take away from the original poster of this thread, the rifle looks nice, just a damn shame what happened to it.:(

14. fmj

fmj New Member

The problem with THAT prerequisite is WHEN she does divorce you...she'll take half of your guns with her! :eek:

Yes, yes, sorry for the hi jack.

DAMN fine looking shootin' iron. How does it shoot??

15. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

Haven't gotten a chance yet ill know friday and let u know

16. fmj

fmj New Member

please do.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You have to remember that when these guns were sporterized they were plentiful and cheap. I doubt if the scope mount was put on by Sedgely. The work is not up to the rest of the rifle. I had a very nice old 98 Mauser that was sporterized with a double set trigger, Schnable for-end and a Redfield receiver sight. Someone really butchered the scope mount. I used it with the receiver sight. I also had a really nice 1917 Enfield that was sporterized and chambered for 308 Norma Magnum. It was built in Alaska. You could buy 17 Enfields for $27 shipped by mail order. It is only now that the military collectors are crying. I still remember seeing SKS rifles stacked in barrrels for $70 to $100 for a nice one.

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That rifle has not been cut up, put the (barrel band) back on it & you got a Krag-Jørgensen M1895 with newer sights...............

19. Nfernaays

Nfernaays New Member

The scope mount didnt seem to match the other work on it and it does hide the spring field markings i will not put a scope on this rifle so ill probably take it off

20. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

They only made that rifle in 15 different configurations...................