My New Mossberg Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Argyle_Armoring, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

When it became apparent to me that my MOssberg 930 SPX with ghost rings and 18.5" barrel would not suffice for sporting clays/skeet I decided to get a new shotgun. I loved my 930 so I ordered another. This time I bought the Mossberg 930 Field with 28" ported barrel, 3 chokes, and walnut stock. I also added my BreaKO mercury recoil reducer inside the magazine tube and FireClean treated the internals. I'm pretty excited to get out and shoot this baby in the next couple of weeks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Nice............:)

3. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Out of curiosity did you look into just ordering a longer barrel?

4. Argyle_Armoring

I did look into that. None of my dstributors had any. Mossberg didn't have any and 10 pages of google search results, gunbroker, and armslist didn't turn up anything either. So now I have a brand new 930.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The barrels for the field models do not fit the special purpose models with an extended magazine. You won't regret buying the field model. Shooting clays with a synthetic stock just doesn't work. The weight of the wood stock makes the experience much more pleasurable. Especially when you start shooting 100 round sporting clay courses.

Unless you are competing don't buy into the hype of 1,300 fps 1 1/8 oz loads. You only have to break the clay. You don't have to kill the clay.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. Argyle_Armoring

My wife's Beretta A300 Outlander wood stock was hollow so I installed her mercury reducer in the stock. This 930 has a solid wood stock. I didn't feel like drilling out the stock and risk screwing it up so I just installed my mercury reducer in the magazine tube.

Actually I shoot the Federal Top Gun shells 1,145 fps 1 1/8 oz. Low recoil and easy to shoot all day.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It is mostly people that compete that want the high velocity shells. It's not hard for a clay shot from an air trap at 55 mph to slip out to 45 yards before you pick it up. That clay can make the difference between first and second place. If you are shooting for fun it makes no difference if you break that clay or not.

I shoot 3/4 oz loads of #9 shot. They small pellets give me great patterns and recoil is about like a 9mm carbine. You will have to shoot 1 oz loads with the 12 ga to maintain consistent wad pressure.

Once you get used to handicap loads the game seems all to easy with a full power 1 oz load.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Nice gun, like the look of the stock.

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

And here I thought it would be easy to find a barrel. I always see barrels at LGS and cabelas, never looked to see what they are for (I'm guessing 500) just assumed it would be a simple swap out.

It is a very nice looking shotgun by the way.

10. Argyle_Armoring

Thank you and swapping with a 930 was impossible.

11. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Yea..the SPX takes a 'tater masher" barrel...or something like that. Iv'e heard the old farts talking about that at one of our morning coffee and doughnut summit's..lol. so...as far as excuses to buy a new gun go...that one is fairly legit...:D

12. Argyle_Armoring

I thought so too. Thanks!:D

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Mossberg makes a field barrel for the SPX but apparently they want you to buy a combo to get a field barrel or the field barrel only fits a 5+1 SPX. You can see the yoke is set to far back to support the barrel on a 8+1 model.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  14. RKB

RKB Active Member

:D Any excuse to buy a new gun is legit. :D

15. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Fine looking shotgun, have fun!!

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Argyle,

That is one fine shotgun! The 930s are fine and reliable shotguns. Here is a picture of my Turkey Model 930. I like my Remington shotguns as well. But would recommend the Mossberg Model 930 to anyone for their purpose!

Attached Files:

17. Argyle_Armoring

Me likee!!

Since I'm in law enforcement I've always been a Remington guy when it came to shotguns. A couple of months ago one of my lieutenants had me try out his Mossberg 930 SPX. OMG!!! Ever since then I've been hooked. That's why this is my second 930. I'm hoping to get out Wednesday and shoot some clays.

18. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Well after reading countless reviews, watching videos and such I stopped by the LGS and bought a 930 today. I didn't go with the spx just a regular 930 with a 18.5" barrel. I like to do my own "upgrades" and the wife likes it when I make birthdays, Xmas and such easy on her.

No pics yet due to the wonderful state of CT having me on a temporary deny list when purchasing a firearm. So will pick it up tomorrow after work.

19. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Another Mossberg rescued from foster care (LGS).....Going to a good home.....:)

20. Argyle_Armoring

I would like to think I had something to do with that decision.