My new Mini 14

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Missileman, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Just got it this weekend. It's the Davidson special run with laminated stock. Still trying to decide whether to scope it, red dot, etc., as it will probably be just for fun and defense. The photos are from my phone so sorry for the poor quality.

Attached Files:

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

NICE!! :D You'll have fun with that!!

Dave! Do you have a cat?? :D

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Popped her cherry yet?

4. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Hey Missleman, I've got her twin sister! I also have her 10-22 cousin with the International stock in gray laminate. I just love that stock. Anytime that she is lonely, you can send her here, I will take good care of her.

5. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Not yet--this weekend will be the unveiling.

6. Missileman

Missileman New Member

That's a deal! ;)

7. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Congrats on your new Mini. I put a Burris Timberline 2X7X26 scope on mine. Nice lightweight compact scope that works well with the new Minis. They are on Optics Planet for about $165.00 now. For the size and money, I have been very pleased. Also have same scope on a CZ carbine. They fit smaller rifles nicely.

8. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Nice looking rifle. How heavy is it? I have the stainless one that came with the synthetic stock. Looked like this when I bought it but changed the stock to suit my needs. still have the original if I change my mind

Attached Files:

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice. Congratulations. :cool:

10. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I haven't weighed it, but just by feel I think it's probably about a pound+ heavier than the synthetic stocked version--that would make sense given the laminated stock. I think my plan for this one is to make it more of an accuracy rifle, add a mo-rod, 3x9 scope, and maybe a bi-pod--perhaps a trigger job and then see how it performs.

11. hnealg

hnealg New Member

Love mine too!

I too just acquired a Mini, took it out the next day. Even with my 60+ eyes, most of my shots were within the 8 ring at 25 yds using just the iron peep sight. The total package really felt good while shooting, well balanced!

12. Missileman

Missileman New Member

What brand of stock is that in the second photo, and how do you like it? It looks great--I've seen several brands out there but trying to decide which one is best.

13. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Did I miss the range report???

14. Maverick

Maverick Member

I have a ranch model..... Love it. My 8 year old son shoots it open sights at 50 yds and groups pretty well with it. Tried to add pics. Guess I need more posts to add them.... Oh well.

Got that range report yet?

15. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Range report: Sorry for the delay, I had to wait to get out of Omaha on a weekend to shoot it. Also sorry no photos--not much to show. I put a 3x9 Leupold on it, sighted in at about 100 yards. I had very mixed results using Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ. I could get 2 or 3 out of 5 shots to group, but always had some flyers 4+ inches out of a group of about 2+ inches. Had my buddy shoot it also with the same results. Of course I'm still in break-in and this was just with one type of ammo, but I was a little disappointed with the consistency. I'm ordering a Mo-Rod for it and then will see if that helps, plus will try some better ammo. But it is a blast to shoot!

16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The Mo-Rod will help a lot. It did wonders for my older 183-series. Yours may do better with heavier bullets with the new twist, did you try anything heavier than 55 grains?

Once you get a Mo-Rod installed, hanging a bipod or light is pretty easy with a UTG single rail barrel mount clamp installed on the Mo-Rod. Here's a couple of photos of mine with both setups. :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  17. kenl

kenl New Member

Nice. Really like the stock. From what I've read and experienced, flyers are common, and its thought that they come from the first round out of the magazine. IMHO, a barrel stabilizer helps...a lot!

Enjoy your rifle

18. BudW

BudW New Member

How come some of the mini 14 with ati stocks dont have flash supressors?

19. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Davidsons has a mini with the most beautiful walnut stock you have ever seen on a mini for about $100 more than a regular Mini. It's a Tactical. I really wish I had paid the extra $100.

An FFL can order the rifle through CDNN for you. CDNN has the best price on any mini going, especially right now.
    It makes my eyes water it's so beautiful.
    It comes with a Ruger 30 Rd mag, not a 20.

John K