My New Marlin. WOW!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kreecher, May 4, 2012.

1. kreecher

kreecher New Member

What a piece of junk! Bought a new xs7s in 7mm-08, the bore was completely fouled, the bolt face a little rusted, and scratches on the underside of the barrel. Not my Dad's Marlin that's for sure! I accepted the transfer, but everyone missed this one. Someone just cleaned up the muzzle, bore and chamber, just enough to pass a visual inspection. Luckily, the online store i bought it from took carry of me right away and swapped it out for a TC Venture. How many of you swab the barrel before you buy a new/used gun? BTW, if i knew it was a Remington, I wouldn't have bought. This is my first center fire hunting rifle (i live in Ohio), just bought to hunt with friends in PA and MI.

2. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have never experienced a problem with the barrels or actions of brand new rifles but when I look at used rifles I use a bore light, patches and the whole bit. Anyone with half a brain would do a thorough cleaning of the barrel when they were trying to sell a used gun, unless they were trying to hide something. Filthy fouled barrels tend to give a negative first impression. Anyone interested in buying a used rifle would do themselves a favor by checking out the barrel real good if they have the opportunity. I had a guy try to sell me a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag. The cylinder and barrel were filthy. He told me less than one box of ammo had ben shot through it. One look inside the barrel was enough to make me decide I didn't want that gun.

3. kreecher

kreecher New Member

My quick look down the bore wasn't good enough. But I've done some follow up research and found some things I didn't know. Marlin was bought out by Remington somewhere around 07-08? Plant moved, most employees fired. Marlins produced during the transition period 09-? and after, maybe of poor quality. Avoid Marlins with serial numbers beginning with 91.. or produced in 09. Rifles produced before the buyout are of traditional Marlin quality. Marlins are now just Remington rifles. Mine actually came in a Remington box.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well i have two Marlin X7's that were made prior to the buying of them by Remington and one made afterwards. the one made afterwards is every bit as high a quality a rifle as the one made prior to the buyout. yes the serial number starts with 91 and was made in either late 2010 or early 2011.

maybe that's the chance you take when buying a firearm online. i bought mine through my LGS and have found them all to be in perfect condition.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Sounds like you need a reputable dealer. All the new marlins at my lgs all have marlin boxes. My new marlin lever gun has very good fit and finish and shoots just under 2moa with open sights at 100 yds

Barrel is marked rp for remington.

Remington does not own marlin but the same group that owns remington owns marlin.

Personally im not into lower end production bolt rifles but ive never seen a new marlin as you described. Ive heard thesemythical stories a lot no one can provide pictures as the dealer has always exchanged it.

There are reasons to not like any given gun but in this case you accepted a faulty gun without inspection.

I personally inspect every firearm i buy stem to stern new or used. Ive bought used guns with bad bores like my enfielld mk4 the bore is terrible but its a possible project gun. The action is good and stock is original.

As they say... buyer beware

6. Axxe55

well said JonM! my point exactly. i too have heard so many of these internet myths about the Marlin/Remington rifles and so far haven't seen any such thing to support these myths.

just last friday when i was buying another pistol i was looking at a Marlin XS7 in 243 in stainless steel. bolt was smooth in operation, trigger crisp, fit and finish were very good and will possibly be a member in the collection soon.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm so glad I got my Marlin when I did, and it worked out so well.

I keep seeing posts about new Marlin nightmares...

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

My new Marlin trigger was so bad I sent it back per THEIR direction as under warranty. Then, they held the trigger hostage, charging me for it to be fixed anyway becasue they'd only fix it under warranty if it was over 7 lbs and mine was 6.9. I told them it was 6.8 when they told me to send it in!

Remington's nickel and dime influence. Gotta pay for that NASCAR!

9. Axxe55

Wolf, i have been seeing the same internet talk about the new Marlins for some time now, and can honestly say that i haven't seen these issues that some are talking about. i know all myths are rooted in a small fact or truth, that is generally blown out of preportion. are there issues when another company takes over and moves the plant operations? probably. but many who are jumping on the bandwagon and badmouthing Marlin rifles would probably find fault with a full blown hand made custom rifle too. it's a mass produced item, so yes there can be some that have problems, but personally i haven't seen it. i can say my Marlins hang in there with my Remingtons and Rugers that are 30-45 years older and have just sa much in the accuracy department.

Hock, why didn't you just adjust the trigger yourself? detailed instructions on how to do it are in the operaters manual. did you even read the manual? i read the owners manual on every new firearm i buy, before i shoot it or tear it down for cleaning. my father use to have a saying, "when all else fails, read the instructions!" my Marlins had heavy trigger pull weights too, so i read in the manual how to adjust them and now they are at about 2 1/2 lbs and one is less than 2 lbs.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Axxe, what's with the defensive attitude?

First of all, the trigger on my gun which their factory gunsmith told me hasn't changed it's money-saving design in almost 50 years, isn't "adjustable."

Second, again, it was UNDER WARRANTY and THEY said it was bad, out of spec, and gave me two REMINGTON places to send it for free repair or replacement. It was then they changed their mind per a new rule and for 1/10th of a pound got a comparative king's ransom to send me my property back and make my gun even operable.

Remington gotta pay for those infomercials!

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sorry, Axxe,

I'm just seeing a lot of posts and threads about bad Marlins.

I must say I got one of the good ones, with the proper stampings,

a tight action, and incredible Black Walnut furniture. I sympathize

with those having issues, as well as being relieved I wasn't put

through the arduous task of pursuing Marlin to make good on

a bad unit.

12. Axxe55

Hock, i am guessing you have a lever action? and something just doesn't add up here, you sent it in for a warranty repair, and they charged you for it? 7.0 lbs. 6.8 lbs. or 6.9 lbs.? what am i missing here? what was the problem with it that you felt it needed repair? adjusting the trigger pull weight? my Winchester M94 has a 7 lb. plus trigger pull weight, and i could adjust it with using different springs if i wanted it lighter. i am sure the same could be done to the Marlin too.

like i said Wolf, i am just not seeing it. i look at different rifles at least every couple of weeks, sometimes once a week. i keep hearing the same rumours and myths about the Remingtons. like i said, i have two Marlins made prior to the buy of them by Remington and another made afterwards, it shoots as well as the others and as well as the old Remingtons, Winchesters and Rugers i own.

13. kreecher

kreecher New Member

Ain't no myth. It really happened to me. I still really liked the look and feel of the rifle. It could have been a great shooter too. I'll never know. I spent two days trying to clean up the barrel and finally gave up. I probably ran at least 50 patches or so down the bore. I kept the last few patches for my records and sent the rest back with the rifle.

Attached Files:

14. Axxe55

Kreecher, that isn't a new gun with needing that much cleaning. you got duped by someone who needed to rid themselves of a rifle. but that wasn't new and your issue should be with whoever sold it to you, not the rifle. i have bought many used rifles and they needed much cleaning and TLC to get them into a condition that pleased me, but i knew they were used. if i bought a new rifle and got the results you did, i would have an issue with who sold to me for selling a used rifle as new when it wasn't. so therefor IMO it's not the rifle or Marlin's fault of it being passed off as new when it is readily apparent, the rifle is most assuredly used. so going off half-cocked and making such statements about Marlin rifles like you did, is well without any merit as to there quality.

15. kreecher

kreecher New Member

I bought the rifle brand new from centerfireguns.com. Cost me $314. I bought it on-line because I wanted a rifle in 7mm-08 and ss. Not a particular popular chamber especially here in Ohio where rifles are just about useless expect for small game or hogs. I wasn't not going to spend $700 on a rifle that I might use every other year up in MI with a friend. I emailed a complaint to centerfire at 3pm and they called me back at 5pm the same day. BTW they are in Colorado. They recommended I send the rifle back to them, so i did. I'm a business owner myself and I know the difference between bad vendors/suppliers. If I had to guess, I'd say this rifle came bad from the factory. Centerfire told me that it's not common practice to swab out the barrel. All their rifles are supposed to come new from the factory, they open every rifle and give a routine inspection for appearance and functionality miss firing. The lesson here is...swab out the barrel before you accept the transfer and do your homework. Labels can be misleading!

16. Axxe55

Kreecher, you can believe anything you want that makes you feel better, but rifles don't come from the factory with bores that dirty, crud in the chamber and rust on the bolts. that rifle was used and returned, then sold to you as new. i have looked at and bought way too many rifles over the last 30 years many new and many used. they got caught at it and replaced it, but blaming Marlin for someone elses deceit is wrong and dishonest on your part. but if it makes you feel better, go for it, because anyone who has been around firearms for any length of time isn't going to believe a bore was that dirty brand new from the factory.

17. kreecher

kreecher New Member

Yeah it was! And I'm not blaming Marlin, It's not a Marlin gun! It's a Remington gun and if you would have followed the thread and done some research, you would have known that. The Marlin of old is gone. As a matter of fact, the TC Venture that I swapped it out for is owned by who...? S&W. Get the point!

18. Axxe55

Kreecher, are these not you own words? written by you!

what a piece of junk!

bought a new xs7s in 7mm-08, the bore was completely fouled........

face it the rifle was sold to you as new, it wasn't new. you were decieved. i own three different Marlins in different calibers, two prior to the buying of them by Remington and one made afterwards. not a thing wrong with them, clean bores, good fit and finish, good blueing, shoot very accurate, ect....

Remington may own Marlin, but they are still a Marlin rifle. Ford bought and now owns Jaguar, so does that make a Jaguar a Ford? not hardly, same thing with Marlin.

19. kreecher

kreecher New Member

The point of these forums is to share good information. I'm just sharing my experience, you can take it for whatever you want. But I would hope the feed would be honest. If that's not the case, not much point being here. I got my 1 and 3yr old here, maybe I let them type?

20. Axxe55

but your information is flawed and misleading, so therefor, it isn't good information and have pointed out to you as why, but you don't seem to understand. your experiance that you are sharing is that bought with good faith a new rifle, they sent you a used one. that's not Marlins fault. that rifle did not come from the factory that way. it did not come from the factory in a Remington box. would you say that Winchesters, (you can insert any other brand here as well) if you ordered it online and the same situation were to happen, were junk? do not fault the rifle and say it's junk because some dishonest online dealer sold you a used rifle and passed it off as junk. my feed and information is rooted in fact and is honest, if you can't handle the truth, then that's your problem. i have been hearing this same BS about Marlins and Remingtons for quite awhile now, and the proof just isn't there to support what people claim. maybe you should buy from a reputable dealer that has them in stock, if he didn't have it in stock, i know they can order them. my gun dealer will order any firearm i want if it's not in stock and he can get it, usually within 3-5 days.