My new Kimber compact!!!!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by iloveguns, Jul 28, 2008.

1. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Just thought I would show off my new Kimber Compact Stainless. My first 1911 and damn I now have the 1911 bug. Lol.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Is that grip tape on the front strap?

Muzzle flip on the little suckers can be a bit much when you're doing quick follow ups. If the tape starts to peel or chew your hand up, you might want to try some Hogue Combats. At $20-$25, you're not out a whole lot of money if you don't like them. I found that they really helped me keep the muzzle down and get my front sight back on target much quicker.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

Even after close to 10 years and well over 10k rds, she's is still nice and tight. I've only ever seen the pistol misfeed twice and both were at the hands of my wife who was limp wristing the pistol very badly. I didn't know why they called it stove piping until I watched one shell go down her shirt and the next stick straight up out of the top of the ejection port.

Since it's your first 1911, you may want to do some reading on the ergonomics of the beasts. Google Massad Ayoob, a few article from him can be found online. He goes into great detail about what he found to be the proper hold for a 1911. It has worked out very well for me. I'm able to hit silhouette within 25 feet without aiming, just pointing. At greater distances, his hold provides a rock solid platform to shoot from.

Your poor Glock is going to be lonely sitting in the safe while your new piece will see a lot of range time. They're an absolute dream to shoot, even with the shortened barrel.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Really nice choice Bro! I had a Kimber 4.25" that carried for two years and loved it. That thing ate everything I threw at it and never had a hiccup. Here's hoping your performance is just as good.

I look forward to a full range report!

JD

4. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Thanks for the heads up. Yes grip tape. Lol was a quick fix yesterday when I was at the range. I like the hogue grips though and will hopefully try and get some this week. I love the kimber shoots very nice, but my glock 19 was there too. The 19 will never get lonely. The G30 might though. Lol. Thanks Matt G.:D

5. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

I have 3kids, a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old and a almost 4 month old. So my range and your range probably differ, lol. But if you want to know if I hit the pop cans and milk jugs I was aiming at , then hell yeah I blew the crap out of them. What a nice shooting gun. Like I said I now have the 1911 bug.:D

6. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

MattG is there an extended slide lock I can get? I have short thumbs. Lol. Thanks

7. matt g

Your slide lock should be operated with your left thumb. Look for that Massad Ayoob article.

There are extended slide locks. Wilson makes one that sells for about $30 that drops in with minimal fitting. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_slide_releases.asp

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Matt's right, with the 1911, your reloading hand thumb should hit the mag release if you prefer to do that.

Most pistol trainers will tell you the best way to dump the slide forward is to use the over the top / pinch & pull method.

I have done both, and don't have a preference, but slide release is under tension when the slide is back, so there is less pressure ( wear and tear could be said, though I don't necessarily agree ) to pull the slide back and release it.

Several companies make extended mag releases. Brownell's has the one that Matt is talking about for $30. Less if you have a membership.

JD

9. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it.:D

10. supergus

supergus New Member

I've trained myself to always release the slide by pulling the slide back hard and releasing. The only reason I do this is so if I have a malfunction where I have to T,R,& R, (tap, rack, ready)it comes as second nature. Just my $.02

11. matt g

It depends on the circumstances, but generally, I'll hit the slide release. That way, the pistol is already properly positioned in my hands and heading back onto target as the slide comes forward.

If you watch racers do mag changes, most of them go for their slide releases. in the manner that I've described. I learned to do it in the military with rifles and it just carried over to my pistol work.

12. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Just some new pictures for MattG:D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Looks nice bro! What have you got there for leather? Looks like a RH FBI Cant Galco or Desanti model. I have one very similar with the screw set retention instead of the snap in. I like it, and I hate it... LOL

How's that Hogue feel to you? Have any problems with it catching your shirt on the way out of the holster?

JD

14. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Galco is the holster and I love it. As for the hogue grip at first I wasn't sure but after shooting a 100 rounds with it I love it. Feels alot like my glock30 because of the big grip only softer. And haven't had any problems with my shirt of course I haven't had to pull it in a big hurry either. Thank god.:D

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Don't get me wrong, I love the hogue stuff. They make a great grip product.

One of the big things I worry about, living in the Seattle area, is having an overshirt, untucked, or a longer jacket on because of the weather.

I bought this really nice set of G-10 grips from Mil-Tac for my first Kimber. Slapped them on. Loved the feel. The thing was like super glued to my hand, and if my hands were a little damp, it was just that might tighter. I had it at the range all day and the thing was like an extension of my hand. Utterly perfect. I carried concealed, probably, 4 or 6 times, and one day I came home and went to pull the Kimber to take off the belt and holster, and the grip caught the edge of the over shirt and got hung up in the tail on the way out. If I hadn't been standing close to the bed & in the house, I might have dropped the thing on the street, which would have really pissed me off. The G-10 checkerboard was so sharp, it grabbed the loose fabric of my over shirt or work jacket about 1 in 5 or 6 times, which isn't a lot, but it was enough to make me reconsider my grip choice.

Now, I know a bunch of guys are going to say "You should have changed your shirt stupid" - which was a thought. But, I also work outside about 30 to 40% of the time, so I am used to wearing a carhartt coat, or a long flannel, and I usually carry when I am going places that don't necessitate a tux and tails, so it's a common dress mode for me. With a leather jacket and jeans, it wasn't a problem, but when I was wearing working gear, it was more of a concern.

Anyways, I was just wondering what you thought of the Hogue -

JD

16. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Well I would have changed the grips to JD. You have to go with what is normal, and no don't change your shirt if thats not normal. You made the right choice. Besides to each his own, right? Lol. Thanks for the input.

17. matt g

I found them flat out akward for the first few hundred rounds, but once I got used to them, I absolutely loved them. Since, I've recommended Hogue grips to anyone that may need them. They're a little gummy, but not horribly so and they're nice and smooth.

18. motleyhooligan

motleyhooligan New Member

My new Kimber compact

Thats a Very Nice Kimber Carry Piece, so nice, I went out and bought one today,(bought at gun shop, probably paid too much, but I just had to get it!!) identical to yours except for the Hogue grip which, they did not have in stock, I will order one online tonight. I have not got a chance to fire it yet, but after hearing everyones input, I think I made the right choice!!!

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the 1911 family - or if you are already a member, welcome to the Kimber Family... I do not think you will be disappointed.

And if you are, please let me know and I will be happy to make you an offer on the weapon. :D

JD

20. motleyhooligan

motleyhooligan New Member

My new Kimber compact

Thanks, Dillinger. I am pretty much a newbie, I did own a Springfield Ultra Compact, ported, in Stainless awhile back. It was a great .45 but I did have issues with it jamming after running a few rounds thru it, always had to change weight of ammo when it jammed. I have been reading up on Kimber and heard alot of great reviews. I will give mine after I get out to the range!!