My new High Standard

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ShagNasty1001, Jun 9, 2012.

1. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

As some of you may know, I had just bought a fairly new FN 9mm so I took it to the gun show today and ended up getting rid of it for a brand new M&P compact .40 and a hundred on top of it. Comes to find out my friend with me was wanting an M&P so I sold it to him for 450 and ended up taking this home at the last second for the same price as I sold the M&P

Attached Files:

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Congrats on the High Standard, i have one too. Ive put over 1,300rds downrange without a hiccup. The mag that they give you isnt the best, i use Wilson Combat mags. I love my High Standard.

3. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Glad to know that someone else has had good luck with it. The guy said there has only been 20 down the pipe but idk if I'd believe that or not even though it looked in very clean on the inside and down the barrel. Y'all think 450 was a good price?

4. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I think that its a fair price, $430 would have been better but you certainly didnt get beat up.i paid $500 for mine NIB

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Mine with a few mods, the gunsmith that i used said that everything dropped right in except the beavertail which is normal, but still only took minimal work to install.

20111205_175231-1.jpg

20111205_175010-1.jpg

7. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Very very nice. I've thought about putting in a trigger like that and a new hammer (I know I just got it and need to shoot it first haha) but I'm not sure if I wanna keep this one all original and get a commander size as well

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i like it! way to go. i think the price is reasonable for that pistol. judging from the picture, i would have given the same for it, if i couldn't have haggled it down to $400 or 425.

i agree with MrWray on the mags. many of the less expensive 1911's one of the few flaws are the mags, but not really a problem, because most of us buy more mags anyways.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Agreed, price wasnt bad at all. I just said $430 due to its slightly used state, $450 still good. Ya the mags that come with the Armscor 1911s arent good to put it honestly. A close friend of mine bought a HS 1911 identical to ours after he shot mine, his mag wouldnt even feed correctly. It would nose dive the bullet down into the feed ramp and would hang it up. I hooked him up with a couple Wilson Combat 47D mags and it shoots like a dream. Good mags make a big difference.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes the mags are not the best. it is such a simple fix that for me, it isn't an issue. besides i buy a pistol for the pistol, not the mags! i generally buy many more mags anyways.

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I've heard good things about Wilson Combat mags while wondering around the LGS. I'll be making sure to put them way up on my list, right after ammo of course!

12. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Well I broke apart the 1911 to give it a thorough cleaning and clean up the feed ramp. It took a few YouTube videos to figure it out but it's not as bad as I thought it would be (I'm used to Sigs and Glock break downs). Can't wait to shoot it!

13. arguy88

arguy88 New Member

After you get the hang of breaking down the 1911 it becomes almost second nature. I absolutely love my HS and I always recommend it to people.

14. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Just helped a buddy break this down and clean it. He got it in today and we're about to go shoot it. Really wanna call it mine hahaha

Attached Files:

15. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I know some folks prefer the Tripp mags, but I have been using Wilson Combat 8 rd mags and find them flawless. I have 5 or 6 at this point & will get more. YMMV

16. arguy88

arguy88 New Member

I have a couple Wilson combat mags and I think they work flawlessly and would recommend to anybody.

17. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Have you got to put some rounds down range yet?

19. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I did yesterday out down in Lexington. Shot very smoothly and accurately. I fed 60 round of WWB and 8 of the PDX1's I had without a hiccup except the mag liked to keep the slide open with the first round so I had to bump the mag. I'd show some targets but we were shooting empty liquor bottles