My new gun closet

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Defiant_one, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

I have not really needed a "secure" location for my firearms as my house is pretty much never empty and the two dogs take care of "unexpected" visitors (lol...Jehovah's witness does stay long at the door).

I did think however; what about the very few times the house is empty and should someone get past the dogs, I don't want to make it easy for them. So I converted my office closet into my gun closet.

solid wood door, deadbolt key lock. Can it be broken into ? Sure - with a crowbar, time and effort but short of a gun safe (which is expensive and not on the wife's top 10 wish list), it means I can feel a bit better should someone steal something and use it. I did my part so to speak. This topic has been gone over before (so not looking to start that). I don't have to do it. I choose to do it.

Besides, now all my STUFF is in one place...LOL

Attached Files:

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks roomy. You need to fill it up. ;)

3. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Very nice setup you have sir.

4. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Lol...

I just KNEW you would say that...LOL

I actually have two more handguns. Bersa Thunder 380 and Ruger 22/45...but if I buy anymore ...I will be living in that closet as I will be wife banished :rolleyes:

I DID get a new red dot sight for the AR. So now I have a scope for it and the red dot. Will test it Saturday and will write a review then...lets see what a $29 red dot sight can do...;)

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Nice looking setup. Way too much factory ammo. Need to get started reloading so you can fill it up with tubs of reloads.

6. indy36

indy36 New Member

Stupid question...where are the hinges to the door? Are they outside it or are the 'front door' style piano hinge?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. indy36

indy36 New Member

And I'd add one of those pry resistant metal ends to the door.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1407410189.336487.jpg

8. indy36

indy36 New Member

Or one like this:

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1407410312.151549.jpg

9. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I like the concept. I went with 'cabinet within a closet' myself. Would really like to convert a walk-in closet :D

Attached Files:

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that's a good point.

regardless of well secure the locking method, most doors have very simple hinge pins that can be removed with a screwdriver or a large pocketknife with very little effort. see about replacing the hinges with those that have non-removeable hinge pins.

11. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Okay now you did it

Had to ruin my day !!! LOL

Hey, good catch. They are normal hinges so....necessity being the mother of invention. Will be replaced with similar sized end thread bolts - with blue loc-tite ...Criminal has to bring tools and a heat gun...hehehehhe

Hey, its just a deterrent, not a safe...

As to reloading...No thank you...Its cool..but to much work and cost to get setup right, learning curve, etc. at about 20cents a round for 9mm..I'll let someone else do it for me :D

12. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Sorry to bust your bubble but I can get into that in 15 seconds. I'm a master carpenter and that is easy. Will stop a few smash and grab types though.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Storage

My Main Safe is a Tread Security Ft. Locker style safe in my Master walk in. also in the Master is my Smaller Half size, and an Under the Bed unit. won't talk about some other stuff:cool:

14. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I don't use a gun safe for my personal guns. I have pondered but realize it's not a good investment for me. I don't have any kiddies running around and don't plan to. Hell, I'm more scared of what the Mrs. will do if she gets mad at me :D

In a more serious note, I keep my guns out of sight. Just remember, if they get stolen you have 24-48 hours to report them stolen. If they are used in a shooting and you didn't report them, you're going to wish you never pulled a trigger in your life :/

15. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Yes BUT...

My dogs are trained...Go after the Master Carpenter first ! LOL

You are right, its not perfect - but mostly its protection against smash and grab, teens, etc. Even with the changed hinges, someone who specializes WILL get in...but I don't have to keep it easy for them...besides...It looks cool...LOL

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

17. Axxe55

there are two ways to safeguard your valuables from thieves if they break into your home. one is with a safe, the other is by stealth. they can't steal what they can't find!

18. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Third way - meet them at the door :p

19. Axxe55

actually i also use Defiant's method. i'll let the dogs meet them at the door!:p

20. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

You mention stealth ?

Based on your great idea, I have decided to add holographic stealth technology. For both the dogs and the closet door. Can you see them ?

Problem is ...now I cant find the closet or the dang dogs...LOL

[​IMG]