My new Glock 23 (40 cal.)

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ARnoob, Feb 21, 2010.

1. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Well, I was at the gun show this weekend with the intention of picking up a new pistol. I have a Springfield XD 45, but wanted something more compact for my CCW. After a bunch of research, I decided to buy a Glock 30. Several of the booths had them at various prices. They cost around $525 on average. That seemed like a good deal. However, when looking around for more 45 acp ammo, the cheapest stuff was Tula and Blazer for about $17. That really made me think. I love my XD 45, (and I mean love it!) but if it's cost prohibitive to shoot it, how much fun can I have by leaving it in the safe? So, one of the Glock dealers had a special with a bunch of varying model Glocks for $439. I spent over an hour going back and forth between the Glock 27 and the Glock 23. I really like to size of the 27, but the super short grip did not feel right. I even tried some magazine extensions and a mag collar. The were just ok, and the collar was a bit strange. So, I went with the 23 model. I feels really nice in my hand and the ergonomics are solid. I have yet to fire it, but bought a box of Lawman (165 gr. I believe) ammo. I can't wait to take it out. I will post pics and a video. What do you folks think of your Glock 23 pistols?

P.S.

I hate to do it, but I'm selling my Springfield XD 45 to equate for the purchase of the Glock 23. Let me know if you're interested. It comes with three mags.

Springfield Armory XD 45 pistol : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Enjoy your new pistol. I've owned three Glocks and they were very dependable. YOU like it and that's all that matters! :D

3. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your Glocks. :)

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I DID own three of them. Not any more, but thanks.

5. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

I'm down to 1 G17 full-size 9mm that lives in the office on the shelf for a go-to type of weapon. I have shot the hell out of it and I would trust it to poke holes in the "unwanted". Carried it for a few years on my person and then was my truck gun. Those spots are now filled with steel guns. Mine likes the Cor-bon.

Go shoot it some!

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Congrats on the new pistol.
    I owned a G22 and a G21 for years, never had any problems with either.
    Ive had a few buddies with G19's and G23's and they loved them.
    The G19/23's are a nice mid-sized pistol but I could never get them to point well for me, thats why I got the full-sized.
    Id say you got a good deal on that 23. I just saw a used g17 for sale in a local shop the other day for $450:eek:

7. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Thanks! It sounds like I've made a nice little purchase here.

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

...as a brick. Not gonna argue.

As long as you Like it, all that matters. Enjoy it.

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Holy crap there are two huge pictures of ghey on my computer!!! :D :D

I kid, I hope you are happy with it. :cool:

10. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Ha! That's two huge pics of gheybees! :D I know, I tried to reduce the size, but couldn't get it to work. Uh, ummm.....that's better. I think.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Let us know what you think of the glock compared to the xd, trigger,ergos,sights,accuracy,etc...

How much easier is this to conceal than the xd? They're both pretty blocky. What is the weight difference?

Thanks!

12. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Enjoy it! I have a 17 and a 37 and love them both. For concealed, I have to go to my Taurus PT745. It is small, easy to hide, but super accurate and reliable. Gotta love a .45.

Dave

13. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

After taking it out this Saturday, I discovered that my Glock 23 is a really nice pistol, with not much recoil. The 40 S&W round isn't bad to shoot at all. I really like the 45 ACP round, so smaller rounds were a step down recoil wise. I had one failure to eject, but I that's part of the break in process. It was fun to shoot and I can't wait to get out there again. I want to use it as my CCW once I get the permit. Here is my short review and some video and pics as well. Enjoy!

Johnny 5.56: Glock 23 Review

Attached Files:

14. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

The Glock 23 is a lot easier to conceal and weighs less as well. :)

15. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

From the picture your Glock looks like a RTF model. How do you like that finish?

We have been selling .45 and .40 cal. range ammunition for around the same price, although, lately we are having trouble finding .45 ammo of any flavor. How is in in your area?

IMHO I don't think there is too much difference in recoil between the .45 and .40. The 40 is a little snappier but both calibers are a pleasure to shoot.

Looks like you are surrounded by woods. In the spring and summer I like to stroll around the woods with the Glock shooting toadstools. When I spot one, I stop, aim, and Glock it. This is good practice for judging distance and angles. Good all around practice and the ground offers a safe backstop.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  16. Blue2Green316

Blue2Green316 New Member

I think you made a fine purchase. The G-23 is an excellent pistol. I had a 1st generation G-23 back in the day and it performed very well (The only problem I ever had was also stovepiping, but I think that was more to do with my lack of good shooting posture than on the gun's part).

I'm mulling over whether to get a newer one myself (actually leaning toward the SIG-229 just because I've never owned a SIG.)

Again, excellent choice, you can't go wrong. :)

17. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Pricewise, I realize that the .40 S&W round isn't drastically less expensive than the 45 ACP round, but there is a decent price difference. I picked up some 165 gr. Speer Lawman (box of 50) for $14 from AIM and most 45 ACP ammo cost around $20-25. The .40 S&W ammo may be more available for now as well. As far as in store availability, Dick's and Wally world have it at the higher prices $25+. The .40 S&W is more expensive in store as well. i do most of my ammo shopping online.

The weight of my Springfield XD45 made for some smooth shooting, so the G23 does have a bit more "snappitude", but nothing bad. I really like it.

Yeah, the woods are a fun place to shoot until the summer in the South, when the woods become a sauna and all the creepy crawlies come out. :eek: