Firearms Talk banner

My New Bushy... :)

4K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  SimonTuffGuy 
#1 ·
Well guys...The black rifle bug finally bit... I went out and purchased a new rifle. My gun collection has really grown in the past 4 months! I went from having my XD9 SC and my little P22 plinker, to owning 3 rifles and a shotgun too! A Mossberg 835 12-guage turkey gun, a Savage 110 in 30/06 for deer, a little Ruger 10/22 for plinking and squirrels, and my newest purchase... A Bushmaster 16" M4 in .223 and 5.56! I added a BSA 3-9x40 illuminated dot scope to the top (cheap, sleeper scope).

Anyways... Here's the pics of the new purchase:

It shoots very nice. I only put about 25 rounds down it since it was freezing outside, but it's a lot of fun!!!

(I know that my stance isn't the best... It was a pose for the camera/tripod)...

See less See more
#6 ·
100 yards should be easy for a rifle like that. The scope will just make you more accurate (but it is a pretty big scope!).

Anyway, congrats on your new acquisition! May it give you many years of enjoyment and peace of mind.

#7 · (Edited)
Some advice.

Being you have an M4 you may want to invest in a heads-up display such as an EOTech or Aimpoint. With your current scope-configuration you will be unable to form a proper fighting stance.

The M4 is best utilized when the stock is fully collapsed and your body is in the fighting position. Shoulders square to target elbows at sides nose to charging handle.

#8 ·
The M4 is best utilized when the stock is fully collapsed and your body is in the fighting position. Shoulders square to target elbows at sides nose to charging handle.
The army taught us that you used that to adjust you length of pull. It's not necessary to bring the LOP way down in most cases, only when you're shooting really close in. I'm 6 foot. If I collapse the stock on an M4 the whole way, the charging handle sits under my jaw, rather than up my nose where it should be.

#9 ·
The army taught us that you used that to adjust you length of pull. It's not necessary to bring the LOP way down in most cases, only when you're shooting really close in. I'm 6 foot. If I collapse the stock on an M4 the whole way, the charging handle sits under my jaw, rather than up my nose where it should be.

Gotta agree with Matt. The whole reason the stock is a "6 position" stock is to allow a little bit of customization with your shooting stance. I'm only 5'8" so a fully extended stock is almost too long for me. It is all what you become comfortable with.

#11 ·
Anyone have a suggestion on either EOTech or Aimpoint? I don't want to dump a ton of money into this (as I said, pretty much a range only gun)...
You can't go wrong with either one of those. I own both, have had the Eotech a little longer. The one thing I do like about the Eotech, frost, fog, water, whatever you throw at the screen, all it takes is just a little open spot and you can still aim through it accurately, due to the holographic site. Not so with any other red-dot.

But, the Aimpoint is alot easier on batteries. This depends alot on which models you compare, too. Try to stick with something that uses AA size, and you'll never have any probs finding replacements.

The weakness to either, is no magnification without buying a separate piece, which also requires it's own mount, adding cost, weight, etc. But for what they were designed for, basically shooting out to maybe 2-300 yards, you should be ok. For more accuracy, you might want to slip your other scope back on. ;)

#12 ·
I think I want to upgrade to the split 4-rail handguard too.

http://bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_handguards.asp#YHM9670

I saw a set at Cabela's for a little over $100, but they looked like they were made of plastic. Worth the extra $$ to go with the aluminum?

And thanks for the info... Any specific model on either the Eotech or Aimpoint that you would suggest?

#13 ·
I think I want to upgrade to the split 4-rail handguard too.

http://bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_handguards.asp#YHM9670

I saw a set at Cabela's for a little over $100, but they looked like they were made of plastic. Worth the extra $$ to go with the aluminum?

And thanks for the info... Any specific model on either the Eotech or Aimpoint that you would suggest?
for your rails, if you can afford the extra $$'s, I'd say go for the aluminum. They'll hold up better and most likely be more in spec, as far as fitting accessories to them. Yankee Hill Machine (who I think is who Bushy is using) start around $96 for free-floated rails and go up. Another would be Midwest Industries, starting around $130 and up. Try to go with a set that are 'free-floating', as this takes a little strain off your barrel and gives you a little more accuracy.

As for the red-dots, either of those brands are great, but they'll set you back about $375 and up for either of them. If you are willing to spend that much, I'd say go with the Eotech 512, preferrably in Revision F. In the Aimpoint, you could go with the C3 or ML2, either will work well for you.

But...if you want to save a few pennies, look for a Burris XTS135. They look a little like an Aimpoint, but go for around $235.

OR...if you really want to save, look like you have an expensive scope, but only paid about $150 for it....look for a S.P.O.T. they look like the Aimpoint, come with the angled mount, hold up pretty decent, are made in Korea, but who's going to know but you?

I'm sure some might flame me for suggesting any of those cheaper scopes or rails, but hey...whatever floats their boats. And in your case, consider what you want your rifle to be, and make it that way. It's your $$$, your gun, and in the end, only your opinion that counts on it, right?;)

Now if you were equipping a spec ops group or neighborhood tacticool commando unit, I might suggest other options...:D

#14 ·
Found a set of the YHM guards on EBay... Their site says sold out... So I'll see what I can pull of EBay and hope I win them cheap. :)

I really like the look of the Eotech 512 you mentioned... Maybe I'll give in and purchase one with my tax refund that should be in next week. I can always return the other scope and put that towards it too...

Thanks for your help. It's nice to find a forum where people can be friendly instead of telling me "search" or whatever. :) Much appreciated!

#15 ·
ur welcome

Found a set of the YHM guards on EBay... Their site says sold out... So I'll see what I can pull of EBay and hope I win them cheap. :)

I really like the look of the Eotech 512 you mentioned... Maybe I'll give in and purchase one with my tax refund that should be in next week. I can always return the other scope and put that towards it too...

Thanks for your help. It's nice to find a forum where people can be friendly instead of telling me "search" or whatever. :) Much appreciated!
no thanks necessary, glad I could help out in some way. Good luck with your "search" on ebay for your handguards. Sometimes you can find pretty good deals on there. Another option I forgot to mention on scopes...check out a Bushnell Holosight. They run less than $300, look like the Eotech without the outer protective shield, and work pretty much the same way.;)

#18 ·
Hmmm... I thought I saw the Eotech's when I was at Cabela's last week... but maybe not? I know they show they're available online... So I could always go that route if I needed. I don't really know of any gun shops around my area (asides from that, Gander, or Bass Pro) that would stock something like the Eotech...

#20 ·
I have never seen them there but wasn't really looking. your in pa, there are gun shops all over the place what I live in columbia co I can't go 10 miles without going past at least one shop.
I live in the sticks. Any shop that is around here won't have stuff like that in stock.

#21 ·
Stopped by Cabela's on my way home from a junkyard trip (Harry's U-Pull-It and EZ Pull). They had both Aimpoint and EOTech, but after looking at both, I opted for the EOTech 512.

They only had the shelf model left, but opted for it anyways since I didn't want to wait for something to ship.

The Bushy I picked up had a set of risers on for optics, so I pulled them off and put the new sight on. It looks great! Now I can't wait to get back over to the cabin to see how it shoots!

Also picked up a little Pine Ridge red dot for my Mossberg 835. A nice addition for that as well. :)

My YHM handguards should be here Monday or Tuesday. Still a little unsure about how they mount. They are the standard ones (not floating) and from what I gather, it looks like the old ones just pull off and these just fit in their place. The guy included the install tool from YHM, so hopefully it'll make it a breeze to put them on!

#22 ·
very nice gun, congrats..
That very same gun is on my wish list, as of now
I just have handguns.

#23 ·
Sam - It's a great gun for a great price if you want something pre-built. Like I posted above, I wanted to walk in and walk out with the rifle and that was the case with this.

I got my YHM handguards in today (thank you EBay!) and just got them installed. They make a big difference in the look of the rifle. Now I just need some accessories to add to them. I want to get a grip and maybe a light mount to add. We'll see what else comes later. :)

#25 ·
Very cool! I'm waiting for a set of PMAGs to come in now. Placed the order this past Saturday and they order is still "processing"...

In addition to the handguards and 512, I added a set of YHM front and rear flip up sights for backups, and a cheapy folding front grip. I like that I can flip it away, but it seems a little cheap. I want to find a light mount for my new Surefire flashlight and then I'll probably be done. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.