My new BCM carbine

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, May 20, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

well im 99.9% complete. just missing a bayonet, 2 point sling and the larue qd acog mount which is on backorder. picked up the bcm lower that was shipped to one of LGS guys today!! thanks Todd over at BTK firearms in Hartland Wi. awesome guy to work with.

anyway, i wanted a cross of the colt sp1(lightweight) and soviet dragunov(super easy to use range finding) optic. after much looking at various scopes and options in different guns i settled on the acog beating out various optics like nightforce and leupold for ease of use.

i settled on the bcm midlength lightweight due to its reputation and recomendations by members here. i would have gotten a colt but they dont offer a lightweight middy. why midlength?? cant use a bayonet on a carbine length non-nfa gun. while i do have nfa items and im used to waiting its not worth the hassle to me and the cost nearly 300$ after nfa tax and engraving fees (to have it done right) just to shave 1.5 inches...

some of the parts:
    BCM midlength BFH lightweight upper
    BCM bcg
    BCM gunfighter charging handle medium latch
    Midwest Industries slp rear sight
    trijicon acog ta31f-g
    Larue qd mount (on backorder)
    BCM complete carbine configured lower receiver
    magpul BAD lever
    magpul winter trigger guard (came with the lower)
    magpul ACS-L buttstock (milspec)
    magpul moe handguards
    BCM gunfighter grip mod 0 (came with the lower)
    surefire mb556k muzzle brake

weights were taken using a cheap 5$ kitchen cooking scale so its not the most accurate weigh in

total weight as configured 7pounds 7ounces
    without acog 6pounds 9ounces

weight of lower without acs-l 1pound 8ounces
    upper without handguards or optic 3pounds 11ounces
    acog with trijicon thumbscrew mount 14ounces
    magpul acs-l stock 12ounces
    magpul moe handguards 8ounces

since posts without pics are pretty worthless here ya go!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bcm grip that came withit is pretty nice and is just like my favorite A1 style grip but has a storage compartment. the lid has a rubber plug that may help keep moisture out.

[​IMG]

since my wife stole my small latch bcm gunfighter charging handle i decided to try out a medium. as you can see it sticks out less than the thumb screws on the acog mount. i actually like it better than the small.

[​IMG]

the newer model has a raised lip to deflect backpressure from running supressed. how well it works i dunno yet.

[​IMG]

first shoot and sight in later next week!!

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Nice looking. I like the clean versions without a ton of additions. You're going to have a ball with that Jon!! Range report upon completion!!

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

It really seems a lot of thought went into your build and it really shows.

The end result is an AR as pretty on the outside as it is on the inside.

Gratz on the build, and love that pron, more plz.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Great build, Jon! Love your components. I know it'll shoot as well as it looks.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks. i did put lots of thinking into it. one of the huge issues was build or buy?? while i can build my own rifle quite easily (skill wise), the problem was finding stripped receivers barrels lower parts that were all in stock somewhere. that was an enourmous hurdle and the only places i could find actual chromed milspec barrels was bcm. the one i wanted just wasnt in stock with an unknown backorder. other suppliers were unknown quality, out of stock, or unable to buy without a lot of unknown junk on em.

after pricing the cost of shipping for the various items building cost and buying cost was a wash. so bcm had everything in seperate pieces in stock with midwest industries and two online distributors and one local shop providing the rest.

i would honestly rather have the colt, but colt doesnt offer what i want. i like simple and only building out the details my way could i get that. the need for a bayonet ruled colt out all together. even so whatever bayonet i get for it whether its the old m7 or the new okc3s the muzzle ring will have to be bored out to .91 inches to fit over the surefire muzzle brake.

the other issue was 308 ar10 or a high speed low drag ar15?? since i fixed the issues of my savage model 10 ive got a longrange precision rifle that works damn well with a great optic. it made the need for a semiauto precision gun able to go on the backburner indefinately.

i SHOULD be able to hook up the surefire 762 suppressor that the stamp should be showing up soon.

the only issue i have now is the wife wants one too...

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's kinda what happened to me also and why I ended up building a BCM clone of my DD build from 16 months ago. :D

Again, great planning and great components, Jon. I love to see a build like yours and the reasoning behind it.

BTW, thanks for the weights you listed. I should have a digital scale next week and I'll also weigh components.

8. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I was impressed w/ that SF MB. Again great collection of parts Jon.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

friday if there arent any tstorms i can take it over to a friends place to do some rapid fire and take some video of it in action. just a warning: i am NOT photogenic lol

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Wish it happened on me. Lol. Btw love that newer model of the gunfighter CH. Do u think that new CH will be comparable with PRI gusbuster CH?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont know. i intend to run my suppressed but that is prolly a year to 1.5 off at best due to the wait times and the 556 suppressor i want is on massive back order.

personally i think the pri is structurally no better than a standard handle. if i still have gas trouble after getting the suppressor ill do this treatment for a few dollars and call it done.

http://www.coloradoshooting.org/gas buster.htm

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'm guessing you've already have a parts list written up and you've already started hunting for them. Heh. Looks like BRD affects both the yound and the old, men and weemen alike!

"Issue" bah he's trying to pass if of as though its a bad thing. :rolleyes:

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

JonM! Make a foliage green version of yours! Complete his and hers ACOGs, dude that'd be soo tite!:D

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yeah it would. She wants to shoot the acog a bit before deciding on that or an aimpoint. I think she will be better off with a aimpoint rds or one of those nice dual illuminated rmr from trijicon. She is really new to shooting.

I do know she likes that puppy paw fred eichler ff tube that rra is using atm.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Well whatever floats her boat, good of ya keeping track of it :D

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

......pink guns, puppy paw tubes.....wait a second.......

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just got done running about 200 rounds through it and got a movie of me dumping 60 out of the surefire mag.

The muzzle brake is brutal without hearing protection. I think i am going to go back to an a2 flash hider until i get a can for it. It does a good job but unlike the 7.62 version most of the blast is coming back.

No problems with it using reloads. Ammo was 55grain fmj reloads. I will put up the vid later when i get home

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good news, looks like we both got a good upper!

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

remember im no movie star by any stretch.

60 rounds rapid fire magazine is a surefire 60rounder. using a utg brass catcher. i just leave it unzipped it seems to work with fewer issues that way. when i run an ar towards the end of the mag the weight of brass drags the edge down to block the ejection port.

the wife asks me if im happy at the end... yes, yes i am.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgG7yLoNvvw[/ame]

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  20. homelessguy01

homelessguy01 New Member

Hows that surefire working for you have you tried it with steel?