My new babies arrived

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Ambrola, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

Got the Ruger last Friday. Picked up the colts today. Haven't shot any of them yet. Heres some pics. That Ruger is giving the Colts a hard time in the looks.

[​IMG]"][​IMG]"][​IMG]"]

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That's a bunch of purdy guns.

3. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

VERY NICE!! We're having a real hard time getting the Ruger here in my local gun shop. They are sweet shooters though from all indications.. Gratz on the collection.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very nice indeed. Since you only have two hands, I will unselfishly take the third pistol of your choice so you are not overburdened.

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Very nice indeed. Let me know how the Ruger shoots, I'm thinking of picking one up.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

A most excellent collection you have going!

Very nice.

JD

7. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

Thanks Guys. I have a dozen or so more in the safe. I love the 1911's and have been collecting them since the early 80's. Every time Colt comes out with a new model, I just have to get one???

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yeah well, that's all well and good, but you're killing me. ;)

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

OOOOOHHHH!!!

[​IMG]

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I likes me some Colts! You are going to love that GC! And great taste in the XSE. Let me know when you want to convert it to a 460 Rowland. (I can save you a lot of time, trouble and gray hair!)

That Ruger is pretty but then it should be when compared to the Colts. The Ruger uses a cast frame vs the Colts forged and milled unit.

I'm of mixed minds with this decision Ruger made to keep costs down. This is apparent with the established price point and should kick the Remington's R1! azz. I wish them well and with Ruger's reputation, they should be GTG.

This move to casting the receiver eliminates the issue of staking the plunger tube by incorporating it in the casting.

I like that Ruger continues to use the original JMB internal extractor design. (Note to S&W: it ain't broke!)

Old school kudos to Ruger for the continued use of the GI guide rod and traditional recoil spring plug.

They also saved both cost and simplified the design with the elimination of a firing pin safety to prevent a "drop-fire". They went with a low-mass titanium firing pin eliminating an inertia caused AD in the event of a dropped gun.

Give 'er hell and shoot the snot out of all of them and report back for each range report in great detail.

If I may offer a suggestion or two,
    1. Don't mix the guns when you do the initial "New Gun Check-Out." With three to test you can mix up any issues that you may find regardless of how detailed the notes you take.
    2. Strip and clean one at a time, the GC and XSE are different internally and I'm not sure what the Ruger looks like inside.
    3. Vid the first tear-down for each of your new weapons. You wouldn't believe how much help this can be with new acquisition's.
    4. Call Aaron at Tripp Research and ask him if he can make you a better deal on a six pack of Gen II Cobra mags for your new triplets. Tell him you read about how good they are here on the FTF! ( Tripp’s Cobra Magazine Test )

11. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

Thanks Cane,
    I usaly only take one gun to the range, but I am lucky to have an indoor shooting range a couple miles from the house.
    By the time I get done with the Colts, they will look better than the Ruger. I ordered some good old snakeskin from Mel for the GC.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Sorry if I came off as stereotyping you as a noobie. It's a mod's vocational hazard.

Copper head maybe?

This I'm looking forward to!

Oh yea, your first impression of the Ruger too. :eek:

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice pistols!

I'm here for this part, really.

Ummm, could you point out the "visual inspection port" for me please?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  14. Westy

Westy New Member

Very nice indeed!:)

15. David26

David26 New Member

I am so very gelous of that Ruger been to or called every gun shop and sporting goods store in the houston area and am always a day late all have been sold and no one know when there gettin anymore

16. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Bummer! I thought for sure that this thread was going to be about 16 year old polynesian girls......... Oh well!

17. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

I know what you are going through, I had the same problem. I finaly went to guns america and did a search and found one close. Had it shipped and that was that. Payed about 30.00 more than I should have, but you do what you have to.

18. parinoid54

parinoid54 New Member

I have to agree with Cane on this one. I like Ruger's revolvers, but I can not accept a cast frame for a 1911. To me, it's like building a drag racer, using cast rods instead of forged. If I owned your Ruger, I would never go above a standard/regular pressure .45 ACP, much less the 460 Rowland. Yes, only time will tell, but I would not spend the money, no matter how much cheaper, only to wind up with a cracked frame sometime in the future. Good luck!

However, Smith's external extractor, especially on their new Enhanced models, are a marked improvement over the internal one! (Sorry, Cane!)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  19. Ambrola

Ambrola New Member

Look at what I got for Fathers Day. Should have wiped the oil off before I took the pic.

[​IMG]

20. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Congrats! Again! :D

I hate you. :rolleyes: