My new 870 Special Purpose Marine Magnum!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by JBall, Mar 17, 2013.

1. JBall

JBall New Member

I replaced the plastic follower with a brownells aluminum and put on a Magpul Forend and stock set with attached light and AFG on the Forend. What else should I as for reliability and HD? I was thinkin at least a larger safety, a NON-MIM extractor

2. JBall

JBall New Member

What else do people recommend I do to make the perfect shotgun?

3. JBall

JBall New Member

Here she is!

image-2961049208.jpg

4. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Red dot or holographic sight. Nice scatter gun hoss.

5. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Red dot or holographic sight. Nice scattergun there hoss

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I would clean it very well, put it in it's original cardboard box, and trade it in for a Mossberg 590 A1.
    ;)

7. JBall

JBall New Member

Alright their Flem ill keep that in mind.

8. JBall

JBall New Member

Havin trouble getting the barrel out!! I've had it out once. Haven't fired it yet. I have the mag extension off but the barrel just won't seem to budge! Very frustrated. This nickel finish makes the fit so tight. I love that about the gun but right now is passing me off!!

9. derpie

derpie New Member

Yes or even a Mossberg 930 spx.

10. longunner

longunner New Member

Or give it to me :D

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

It wouldn't be an 870 Thread if it didn't have Hock - advocating for Mossberg. :D

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Com'on now -- I have very little stock in the company (although I am sitting on a small fortune in options that Iver awarded me).

Yeah, those Remingtons are so well made, the plating is so thick and srong, it just makes getting those barrels off so darned difficult, they're so good, and well made, and all...

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The 870 has been getting along w/o you since the 1950s, I suppose it will survive well into the 21st century as well.

Even w the 590 A1...:D

OP: Take a collection of shells, set up a safe place to eject them, and then run them through the action. Do this several times for validity. A FTF member had an issue w ejection - if yours ain't broke, don't fix it but you deserve to know.

Fear not Hock, my mild mannered 870 Express - $269 - (before $20 promo) has never failed & its the cheapest gun in 870 line - I think ?...?

OP: Mine was completely "dry" - so an initial cleaning n lube might be a good idea. Several Threads on how to help your 870 or any pump action run better.(RCE - Rails, Chamber, Ejector)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Look, I'm not here to knock the OP's gun, I was sorta teasing. And I don't want to be blamed for his buyer's remorse -- Remington will be responsible for that.

But I love Gonzilla saying "A" FTF member had an ejection issue -- that's like saying the beach has "A" grain of sand.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

buy a lot of shells and shoot the snot out of it! clean and lube it, then buy some more shells and shoot the snot out of it again! will smooth it out and make it function like it rides on bearings.

funny thing is, many of these Remington detractors spout off a lot of nonsense that Remington quality is slipping and that they are making a poor product, but for some reason, they never post any proof of this and they always promote some other brand as being superior. Mossberg produces some very good products and i even have owned many over the years and still do, but i also own quite a few Remingtons as well and have for many years. nothing wrong with either brand IMO. unless people who post that such and such brand is crap or this that or the other, post proof of what they are saying, it's nothing more than a bunch of internet hearsay.

16. JBall

JBall New Member

I completely agree. This firearm will outlive my son and I with very little maintenance, how can anyone call it poorly made?

17. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I've not had any issues with it failing to eject. mine works like it should.

I must have an anomaly.

18. Photoshot

Photoshot New Member

I bout an 870 XCS Marine Magnum back in 2007. The XCS Marine Magnum has the black trynite coating for extra salt water protection which I desperately needed. I do not know why Remington discontinued this shotgun although I read one person's speculation that it simply may have been too expensive to manufacture them which I suppose makes some sense. The 870 is not a gun people want to spend $800+ on (more up here in Canada) when that money could be spent on a high quality hunting rifle with the Trynite coating.

As for the ejector issue that some have eluded to, there certainly have been ejector issues on some brand new 870s but virtually all have been cleared up with a bit of hard use from what I've read, guess I should give mine some hard use sometime.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 2 of those anomalies in my cabinets. My 12 gauge and my daughter's 20 gauge both work flawlessly. Both have had a couple thousand rounds through them with no issues to date, and as with any other make, the occasional lemon will raise it's ugly head from time to time. it boils down to something a good friend of mine once told me after his 5th time in county lock up. (He's kept his nose clean for over 10 years now, and mostly got into trouble by hanging out with the wrong people).

"The bad we do is never forgotten, but the good we do is never noticed or remembered."

I think the reason so many folks bash one brand or another is that when someone has a problem with say an 870, they put it on forums looking for an answer to fix the problem. On the other hand, if all is running well, nobody posts an excellent review of that gun they just can't make f@&^ up. Hence the "There are posts All over the internet that Brand X is junk, so Brand Z must be the Sh!t." Just my theory, I'm pretty sure Hocka will tell me I'm wrong, but he has the right to his opinion. Not bashing you Hock, I fully respect your opinion, and all I ask of anyone is the same. As I said, just speculation on my part, please don't take it as gospel.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

That could be the case JBall -- that firearm may very well outlive you two by failing when you all need it the most. With dire results. It IS a modern 870 after all. Hence the 590 A1 recommendation.

Folk aught not compare the recent Remington carp to the 20th Century made ones -- Remington will get away with this as long as you apologists and ostriches let them.