My new .45

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Overkill0084, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Lately I've been kicking around that idea of getting a CZ 97. Yesterday I stopped by my friendly LGS and one of the guys who knew what I've been looking at called me over and said, "You need to take a look at this." So I did. It wasn't a CZ 97. No, it was an EAA Witness Match .45. Sweet gun and the price was the pleasant surprise. Under $600. I actually went home, but it was in the back of my mind. Later I gave in and went back w/some ammo and bought it.
    Pulled it apart, inspected it right there. Thankfully, it wasn't all that greasy. Then I put 50 rds through it. Really a nice gun for the money. The single action trigger was quite pleasant. I didn't shoot for group, but I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to shoot well. When I did it right, I could shred the center of the bull without any trouble. I'm not 100% sure, but it may be easier to shoot well, than my Springfield Trophy Match. I know, heresy, but it's a really nice shooting gun.
    The only thing I found annoying was that it only comes with one magazine.

Attached Files:

2. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Overkill0084: Sir, good shopping:)

more pictures; with range reports:)

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Outstanding! A Beautiful acquisition!!

4. russ

russ New Member

Very nice looking pistol you have there.

It looks like both EAA and Mec-Gar offer mags for that, however, Midway is backordered on both right now. It also appears that Mec-Gar is out of stock on their website, but maybe worth a call. My factory CZ75B mags are made by Mec-Gar.

5. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Nice acquistition!

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice looking 45. Their US HQ is just up the road from me.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's a good looking Witness!

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! It's a good looking pistol.

I've always been curious about the EAA line of pistols. They essentially look like CZ clones, but better priced. Please keep us informed on how it holds up.

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Great, now I have to go looking around for a Tangfolio of my own. :D

10. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

beauty nice heater where is the take down notch

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

you line up the dot on the rear of the frame with the dot on the rear of the slide and push the slide release out. its a cz clone, the cz's have hash marks you line up.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm out to get a fotay!!!

13. Overkill0084

Quick question regarding magazines. Is Pro Mag a decent product?
    Mec Gar and EAA mags are out of stock at Midway. The Pro Mag option seems to get mixed reviews. Opinions, experiences?
    Knowing nothing about Pro mag, I think I will opt for the Mec Gar if given a chance. They are OEM for my CZ as I understand things, and they seem to work well.

Numrich looks like they might have some Mec Gars in stock, but the page is crazy slow here at work. Still a work in progress.

Edit: Mec Gars on the way from Numrich.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  14. russ

russ New Member

You made the right choice there. The Mec-Gar mags I ordered for my CZ are identical to the OE mags that came with it.

15. Overkill0084

Range report.

Update: Last week (Thursday) I took it out to the weekly pin match. I was having problems with light strikes. So I went to my trusty SA Trophy match and finished out the night with it. When I got it home and took a good long look at it and monkeyed with it, I discovered that I had outsmarted myself. After the initial purchase and test firing, after cleaning, I decided to play with the trigger over travel adjustment. Turns out that the half cock sear was dragging on the trigger sear and slowing the hammer fall. I gave back some over travel and the problem was solved. Lesson learned.
    Last night I was determined to try it again. So I left early to verify function check it. 70 rounds of practice and no problem. The Pin Match went well. I shot my best ever. Nothing compared to the really experienced guys, but great for me. I've only been at it for a couple months, and I have no previous experience with rapid fire disciplines. I didn't leave a pin and I finally had a sub 5 second round. Worst round of the night was a 8.4ish IIRC.
    Suffice it to say that this is a lot of gun for the money and it's very easy to shoot well.
    My only concern is the weak feeling recoil spring. Any recommendations as to what a proper rated spring would be would be helpful. I'm running a 18.5lb Wolff in the 1911 and it works great. If I'm getting correct info, the Witness comes w/ a 14lb as stock. I run a 230gr Cast RN w/ 4.6 gr of Bullseye as my normal general purpose load. I was thinking of jumping it up to at least a 16lb. I figure as long as reliability is good, the heavier spring will lessen the beating the gun is receiving. Opinions/recommendations would be welcome.

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It sounds like you and the pistol are bonding well. ;)