My New 44 Mag Blackhawk!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Nov 15, 2010.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

About 2 weeks ago I thru a bid in on this thing and let it ride, not expecting to get it but when I got home that evening I did. According to the serial number it was made in 1974 but for being that old it is super clean other then a little rust on the hammer. Check it out.

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

I did a complete cleaning this morning and the inside is as clean as the outside. It hasn't been fired much at all. I did something stupid though and moved the gun while it was apart and lost the pawl spring so I won't be able to shoot it until I get another one from brownells or midway.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is a great addition Spitty. My old man had one just like it and it was the first revolver I ever shot. A big, heavy and fire breathing Magnum, what every growing arsenal needs. :D

Congrats on the sweet deal!!

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Are you sure that rust didn't form as soon as you put your thumb on the hammer?

Just sayin..
    nice pistol.:D

4. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Nice pistola!!! I shot a .44 mag yesterday for the first time ever, a S&W Model 29, and I want one now. I'm envious!

5. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Good goin'! I have found the Ruger revolvers to be reasonably accurate, very dependable, and very durable. You can put 10's of thousands of rounds thru one (including fairly hot handloads) with no breakage nor excessive wear.
    And they are not too heavy to carry comfortably in the field.

6. spittinfire

Thanks guys. This will most likely become my hunting pistol, unless I can't shoot it worth a crap then the 629 will be called into duty. I can't wait to shoot it.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Why does your stuff always rust? :D

Looks great Wes, I'm jealous!

8. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Super Blackhawk

one very similar to yours; goes hunting with me every year. Handgun hunter; Ruger 'Super Blackhawk' :)

9. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Very nice addition Spitty! Excited to hear how it shoots.

10. spittinfire

I just found the pawl spring....How it ended up in my pack of gum, I have no idea.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! Enjoy that rascal.

12. spittinfire

Got the spring in over my lunch break and I'm back in business. Planning a range trip this weekend. Range report to come.

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

You will like it. There's nothing like a good super blackhawk. Mine groups my hunting loads right around 1 1/2" @ 50 yards with iron sights. Thats about the best I can do with my old eyes..

Jim.........

14. spittinfire

I'm hoping for similar range results, masterP. If so, deer will fall.

15. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The Super Blackhawk is a great deer gun! Don't use the hollowpoints though, a jacketed 300-grain solid won't fragment on ribs or shoulder bones, and will penetrate better.

16. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

If you like yours anywhere near as much as I do mine, I'm sure you'll love it!:)
    My barrel is a few inches longer & my grips a bit more chubby, but I must say, it's a BLAST to shoot! This SBH goes with me on every range trip...no matter what else I bring.

[​IMG]

I feed mine a steady diet of 240gr FMJ reloads, pushed by 22gr of IMR4227.:D

17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Great addition Spitty! My Blackhawk is the most accurate .44 mag I've shot so far, but I haven't spent as much time with any other. You'll probably want some over-sized grips for shooting offhand, unless you have small(er) hands.

The guy that made me the grips (Black and White Ebony, Finger-grooved) in the following picture is very talented, reasonably priced and will make you anything you want. The finger grooves are a bit more, but well worth it. The fit was perfectly snug, true art.

Check out: Handgun Grips Custom Grips Grip Kits Pistol Grips Custom Hand Gun Grips Single Action Grips Specialty Grips - Klamath River Woodworks

Attached Files:

18. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

I agree you'll love it!

Mine is from 1973 and has approx 20k rounds through it. In my youthful stupidity I had a PolyRib installed.....getting around to having it removed and the entire revolver re-finished. My dad and I shot long-distance silhouttes (sp??) and needed the rib to see the sights after several cylinders.

Congrats on a fine purchase!

Attached Files:

19. spittinfire

Some nice blackhawks you gents are posting. Maybe we need a single action thread.....

20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm feeling the vibe. . .