My new .357

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by xpl0de, Oct 4, 2010.

1. xpl0de

xpl0de New Member

[​IMG]
    Hey guys, check out my new baby. Just had it handed down by my father a few days ago.
    S&W model 66 .357 magnum, 4 inch barrel. I have 125 grain hollow tips for self defense purposes. Cant wait to fire it at the range, although I'm kind of scared of the recoil lol, Ive only shot 9mm and a .22 rifle. I grew up watching my dad shoot the 357.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nice gun but don't feed it a steady diet of full power 125gr loads. The 19/66 forcing cone can be damaged by the light fast bullets...

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Don't be afraid of the recoil. Just expect it! I fire a .357 revolver and I don't mind the recoil at all.

Very good advice.

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Lucky dude.

All my dad gave me was big ears and a dumb last name.:eek:

Give us a range report after you shoot her.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I great weapon!! have fun with it and give us a range report when you get a chance.

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

That should handle magnum loads just fine with that much steel and that grip.

Of course, you could start with 158gr loads. That will make the 125gr loads feel so much more manageable. ;)

It's kind of like how do you make a drive through Nebraska seem interesting? Drive through Wyoming first.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations. :cool:

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

As stated, a steady diet of 125gr is not a good idea. The 19/66 were designed for 158gr. Trust me, a 158gr SP will do quite a bit of damage. Great gun, congratulations.

9. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

Congratulations on an excellent revolver and 158gr will make her last forever.