My new 1911. Any advice?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Bronco141414, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

Hello everybody! I just got me a Ruger SR1911 and haven't even fired it yet. Want to see if anybody has some advice, tips, tricks, etc for someone new to the 1911 platform. Maybe what would be best to clean one with? Thanks! :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The best tip I know for a 1911 is shoot it, a lot. Then shoot it some more.

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice lookin gun. Congratulations.

Clean, shoot.

Repeat.

:)

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very simple. clean it well, oil and lube it, then shoot it quite a bit. clean it up and repeat often.

nothing mystical or magic about it. the more you shoot it, the better it will operate as it breaks in and the more you shoot it the better a shooter you will become with it.

if it runs into any problems, determine whether it's an ammo related problem by trying a different brand of ammo. if not, then contact Ruger to see if they can rectify the problem for you. it's new and has a warranty. use it if needed.

congrats on the new 1911! very good looking pistol and i like the looks of the SR1911's. they are a very good looking pistol.

shoot it a lot and enjoy it!

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Congrats on a fine looking pistol. Lube it up and go shoot it. 1911s tend to run the best wet. Get a good two hand grip on it and let the lead fly. You want that beavertail buried in the web of your hand.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

A couple for you.

Find a simple way to identify your magazines (scratch-awl, marker, etc). Stay fairly straight with your ammo. Most complaints on performance are usually followed with comments on magazines and ammo. You'll be ahead of the game if you do have any future problems.

I shoot my 1911 often, clean it seldom, but when I do, it's BreakFree CLP. Keep thick lubes, such as grease, away from the extractor recesses.

Buy a magazine pouch to protect your spare magazines. Magazines are an essential part of the proper functioning of your 1911

Watch YouTube type videos for complete dis-assembly and reassembly. Some parts can be tricky to reinstall. Videos will show some trick, tips

Work on a firm consistent grip for best accuracy and reliability. Some failures to eject and feed are due to limp wristing. (Limp wrists are for Glocks).

Hope this helps.

7. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Don't get the "idiot scratch"!

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Congrats! Now shoot the snot out of it.

9. fordracing

fordracing Member

That thing is beautiful.

10. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

Looks nice but the first day at the range with her will determine its worthiness.

Does anybody name their guns? I am thinking about naming her :cool:

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

There's a member here who doesn't post very often who names all his firearms. Spanish names I believe.

I've thought about it. Some people name cars. Actually my Chevy Cruze is named Penelope ( :cool: ). Why not firearms?

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have named some of my cars in the past, but guns, nope.

13. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

The only gun I have that get's called names is the Glock, and they aren't nice names.

14. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Oooooooooooooweeeeee, you gonna have some fun with that beaut!
    I alway clean and inspect mine first. then put a few hundred round through them.
    Get the proper grip down pat so you will not get into a bad habits.
    Get in the habit of steady pull on the trigger, jerking the trigger because you think you are on target will ruin your day.
    Keep them eyes on the front sight, keep it aligned properly, target will be a blurr.
    Don't worry about the moving of the gun, but slow steady squeeze on the trigger.
    That way you build up a good habit, Speed will come later.
    Have fun and enjoy!

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You actually have a Glock? If it is so bad that it gets called names, why keep it?

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I've explained this in another thread.

I encourage folks to shoot. I like to introduce people to firearms, shooting and safety. I have a home range on the property, and we include shooting when folks drop by. We will shoot a variety of guns. long and short.

Many of the new folks have heard of Glocks, I keep it so they have a chance to see how bad it is compared to other guns. . . .

I purchased it years ago, I believe it was part of a police department trade-in. I loved the magazine capacity, always loving the Browning High Power. There was boxes of hi-cap mags at a cheap price.

I believe that it has a purpose in rounding out the selection for new shooters. Let someone try a 1911 with a great trigger, a few .38 specials through an N frame, for example, then let them try the Glock.

It is important that prospective buyers can feel a crappy trigger first hand.

17. Bronco141414

Bronco141414 New Member

Anybody have anything good to say about the Pachmayr grips out their? They seem pretty cool and have a mix of rubber finger grooves and old fashion wood style( depending on your color. They come in pink and stuff like that :confused: ). I am considering buying a set

Attached Files:

18. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

cleaning it? just about anything will clean that. it's stainless.

shoot the living crap out of it. remember, it will be tight for the first 500 or so rounds.

my 1911 is named "Bessie"

it's a family thing. Bessie is a new addition. my father used to jokingly call his colt govt model Bessie.

my trp will run rings around that old govt model...a gun I wish he never had sold before he passed.

biggest piece of advice with a 1911...don't sell it, unless you are buying another 1911.

19. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

Best tip ever. Do 200 rds to break it in then shoot it till you drop. Rugers are great quality pistols. Should run like a Rolex.:)

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

As previously noted:
    1. Clean. Get the shipping goop out of it. If it's anything like my MK3, it will be smothered in it. It would seem Ruger gets a good deal on preservative goop and is generous with it. Shipping goop ain't lube. Get it out as best you can. I ended up detail stripping my MK3 and dumping everything in a ultrasonic cleaner. I hope you don't have to resort to such measures.
    2. Lube. Opinions vary, but here's mine. If it turns oil it. If it slides, grease it. I use synthetic motor oil and Tetra grease as applicable. 1911s in general like it when your generous with lube. They tend to act up when dry. New ones, even more so.
    3. Shoot. Enjoy.
    If you have reliability issues, start your troubleshooting with the magazines. They are the Achilles of the 1911 (not really sure why.) OEM mags in general tend to be hit or miss. Oddly cost seemingly has no bearing on the issue sometimes. My Dan Wesson came with two Check Mate mags. One worked fine, the other is for practicing clearing jams. Whereas My OEM Springfields are brilliant.
    Note: the previous advice on marking them is a very good idea.
    Be prepared to spend good money on good mags. I only buy Wilson Combat anymore. They are readily available and they simply just work. I'm sure there are other good ones, but Wilson's have always worked for me and I don't really feel like experimenting. You will likely get an number of opinions on this particular issue. Tripp Research are supposed to be brilliant and some Chip McCormicks are as well. I can't say either way. Also, don't forget, all mags will eventually get squirrely if you don't remember to pull them apart and clean them now and then.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014