Firearms Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to visit my folks over spring break. My dad was on a kick for buying a gun he and my mom could go shoot together and have fun without breaking the bank. Ended up buying I believe a Sporter with heavy barrel. I admit I don‘t know a ton about many guns, and never thought super highly about Rugers in general, but after I shot his, I was impressed it lays them in there nice and consistent and fun to shoot. Well, I went home and did some looking. Finally came across one called the ”no sights” model. Was $100 less than my dad paid for his so I had to pull the trigger. Got it home last weekend and fitted it with scope and rings. Now just waiting for a chance to go to hunt club and shoot it a bit. Not heavy barrel like my dads but I think it’ll shoot just fine. The more I read on these the better I like them. Seems like lots of people have/had one and most say good things on reliability. Oh yeah, gotta take them ugly stickers off. Leupold rings with Vortex 2-7x32 scope.

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Bicycle part Sports equipment Wood

Light Wood Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Hardwood

·
Premium Member
15,365 Posts
I think we have 6 right now. They tend to breed.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
It'll be a good rifle for you. Cant go wrong with a 10/22 .
Shoot it often and shoot it well.

Also, get these... fantastic price BTW.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sweet rifle. You just can't go wrong with a 10/22. Congrats

Reactions: j102

·
Supporting Member
14,404 Posts
Chevy,
Nice Rifle! And yes they are very good rifles. In fact all guys in the family including sons, grandson and nephews have one. I gave them to them several years ago for Christmas because I knew the little rifels would last them a lifetime if they take care of them. And then pass them on as family Heirlooms.
Great Choice and as one here already stated. There are all kinds of products to customize them and trick them out! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been tossing ideas around for a couple days. This gun has the standard barrel without iron sights. Does not have the bull or heavy barrel. Was thinking how fun it would be to make it as quiet as possible. I know cans take a while to do the paperwork and get it all returned, but was wondering about all the options and costs related. Could get a threaded barrel and can, could get a suppressed barrel, could get a threaded adapter and can. Problem with the adapters, all the ones I see have the notch machines in for the front sight which I don’t have. Again just thinking out loud and weighing costs. Maybe I’ll just keep it the way it is.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Ive got diamond stones so can redo factory hammer to help trigger pull. Easier to improve trigger by just buying Volquartsen hammer/ spring kit for 30 bucks.

1022s.....have had three old sporters ( finger grooves ). One factory checkered. Two old walnut standards, one International. One deluxe sporter and two birch standards.

Currently the only 1022 in my house belongs to the little woman, grey lam/ blued 50th anniv standard. Runs a Bushnell TRS 25 on it to shred pop cans.

Reactions: j102

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Love my 10/22 carbine: 40 years on. The Marlin 60 would be the closest competitor in sales and accuracy, but I don't like tube-fed carbines. I have a variant of the Marlin 60 (a 99M1), that I like, but for .22LR plinking, my 10/22 is tops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was finally able to get out and shoot it this Weekend. What a fun little gun. We had a make shift target and it was a little windy so it’s sighted in pretty good for now. Work on that harder on a day with a solid target and solid rest. Nice little squirrel and paper killer for sure.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A good friend of mine has a 10/22 he got from his grandfather that was purchased back in the late 60's. He's replaced the furniture on it but otherwise it's all original parts and other than being a little picky on ammo it's still a great shooter. It's the only .22 rifle he owns and he relentlessly gives me grief about my decision to go with the S&W 15-22 since it was his Ruger that decided me on getting a .22 in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts