My Mossberg addiction.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Dr. Marneaus, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

These things always start out so small and innocent, and now here I am with a full on addiction!

If any of you are familiar with old Mossberg .22's, you know they are generally regarded as very accurate rifles and are often quite inexpensive.

So. Several months ago a friend of mine told me he had an old rifle that he didn't have time for, and he knew I would do it justice. He gave me an old Mossberg 42C, missing the rear sight, buttplate, and magazine. It had literally no blueing left on the barrel and only a small amount left on the receiver. The barrel was full of crud and the muzzle end was rusty. The action had 30 years worth of dust and hair in it, and the takedown screw was super goobered up and seized. This model was offered from 1939 to 1943 I believe.

Well, I got it cleaned up, and bought a rear sight, was gifted a few parts including the optics from a few fellow mossberg collectors on the Internet, and got to shootin it. Trigger is heavy as hell for some reason, but this thing still makes a dime sized hole at 25 yards.

After buying the magazine, my total investment in this rifle was $38.00....which was the cost of the magazine. It's ugly, been rode hard and put away wet most of its life (70+ years) but its still a shooter!

image-2583395817.jpg

Last week I randomly stopped Into a local gun shop and looked past all the black stuff on the wall and saw some pretty wood that was a familiar shape. They had a great condition Mossberg 146B-A on the wall. These were made early/mid 50's. tube fed bolt action. I was excited because I had been wanting a model with peep sights. This rifle was complete, blueing was probably 98% (several scratches) and the price was pretty fair. Nothing spectacular, but fair.

I paid for it, but being on consignment it has to be held for 30 days to make sure it doesn't come up as stolen. I pick it up this coming Saturday. Needless to say, I was (and still am) psyched.

Figured its okay, 2 mossbergs is fine. Nothing crazy and this would be a good Christmas present to myself.

image-2015334303.jpg

Now for the gem...

Flash forward to yesterday. I was on a local forum and saw something that took me by surprise. Fellow was selling a mint Mossberg 44 US, marked US Property. These were produced in the early 40's and were used as sharpshooter training rifles during WWII. They have been available through the CMP on and off.

I had to resist it, but I got the seller to a price I couldn't refuse and went I see it. This rifle is clearly unissued, and appears unfired. Blueing is 100% and every edge on the thing is SHARP. No wear on the bolt or magazine, and the bore looks as good if not better than any of the guns I have bought brand new.

Scored pretty big here! I can't wait to shoot it.

image-2983116214.jpg

image-1983802694.jpg

image-2642648606.jpg

image-333913769.jpg

I'm sure there will be more to come in the future....but two in one week means I should probably slow down a little haha. I will definitely post range reports on the two new ones when I get out to shoot them.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't suffer from an addiction to old Mossbergs. I enjoy every second of it. :D

I currently have 3 in the collection, and recently sent 2 off to new homes. I have a 200 k, a 185 d, and a 183 d in my collection. The 2 that have left were a 185 ka, gifted to a friend for his son, and a 151 m that I had on a long term loan from my grandfather after doing some minor repairs. It is now in Nebraska with my uncle as per my grandfather's will. It is back with the person who used to use it to hunt, and for competitive shooting while he was in college. that's the one I am really going to miss. With it's the micro click rear and front hooded globe sights, that rifle is a tack driver.

3. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Those 151M's (or any of the mannlicher's for that matter) are beautiful. I'd love to get my hands on a mannlicher mossberg at some point. All in good time.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

They ways to tell you are a die hard Mossbergaholic-

1. You have Vic & Cheryl Havlin's number on speed dial (havlinsales.com- best source of Mossy parts there is)

2. You have damguy's Mossberg site in your favorites folder

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

3. You cruise the used racks at your local gun shop, looking for trigger guards with finger grooves

4. You prowl on-line gun auctions, checking for Mossburgs and Moosebergs (if the cretin can't read what is stamped on the barrel, he does not deserve it)

Am up to about 2 dozen Mossy's- but I can quit anytime I want. Yeah, that's the ticket- anytime! *it's too late for me- save yourself!*

Stable includes 44 US, 142, 151, 51M, 151M, 151K, 46B, etc.. Also 83, 183, 85, 185, etc.

You will like the 44US, you will LOVE the 46B. You can get a scope mount from Vic, but be sure to hang onto the rear sight. Worth weight in gold, etc.

pistols 001.jpg

rifles 014.jpg

rifles 015.jpg

rifles 016.jpg

Sorry- ignore that last one- Winchester.

Attached Files:

5. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Thats right, I recall that you were a mossberg man, commented on my old 42C when I posted that.

I had no idea you were SUCH a mossberg man though! 2 dozen? haha. And here my girl thinks I'm crazy because I now have 3!

I've made a few calls to Havlin in the past. Just picked up a magazine from them when they finally came back in stock. They didn't last too long!

I could tell how nice the trigger on the 146B-A was, just from memory it was better than the 44, which seems a bit heavy though it is VERY solid with no creep. I swear that one must be unfired. No wear anywhere inside or out.

Anyway, i'll be getting to the range over christmas vacation! The girl still had to work b ut I'm off Sat-Wed so I'll be sure to get some range time in.

6. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

And I almost picked up a 151K the other day, but the seller wouldnt budge from $200. Said no thanks!

7. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

So, finally picked up the 146B-A

Cleaned up real nice. It was dirty dirty dirty when I got it.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387665471.529970.jpg

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387665521.200269.jpg

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387665546.492896.jpg

The only flaws I found, inside and out, are these scratches by the front sight hood
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387665598.446693.jpg

And this side of the stock is a lil scratched up.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1387665634.081053.jpg

The trigger on this one is AWESOME

8. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Why does every picture in this new App look horrible?

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My brother has one of these Mossberg Brownie

Attached Files:

10. c3shooter

THOSE are hard to come by!

11. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Yah they are. I have never seen one.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

OK. I have to start this post with a question. Does anyone on here know how to remove drool from a keyboard?

Nice collection C3. Some beautiful examples of well made, yet inexpensive, rifles in those pictures.

Dr. M, just remember, scratches add character, and each one has a story to tell. My grandfather (dad's dad) bought a Remington 870 in the late 60s from the Western Auto in Westfield NY after talking the clerk into knocking $20 off the price due to a small scratch on the right side of the butt stock. He gave it to a friend's son while my dad was in the Corps as a thank you for helping out on the family from sewing to harvest. This deer season I went hunting with the current owner, the son's son, and he was carrying that old 870 with him while we were afield. i asked if it was the one I thought it was, and he handed it to me and pointed out that little scratch, along with a few that came from his dad using it. He said it will never be refinished. To him it is a reminder of the shotgun's history in both our families.

13. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Yep thats a similar model to the obe i grew up shooting, except the bolt handle is different and it doesnt have the dust covet on the bolt, but same sights, same everything almost except the bolt handle.

I love the old mossbergs, accurate and made of wood and steel.

14. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Thanks guys.

I finally got out to shoot them and man they shoot well. They shoot better than I do, thats for sure!

Had all 5 holes touching (looked like 3 holes) at 25 yards with the 44US, pretty dang close with the 146. At 50 yards it was about 1/2" group. Gotta try some different ammo and get used to using peep sights, which I had never used before.

15. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I'm another old Mossberg lover and have several. You just can't beat the old Mossy .22s. Just recently re-finished the stock on my Mod. 46M(b) and it's a beauty. It's also the rifle that my dad taught me to shoot with when I was around 5 years old. It still puts every round within a dime at 25 yards.

Jim.........

16. BVAL

BVAL New Member

You guys are having all the luck,,,,,love my 146B. Shoots all that it is feed, and does it very very. Only having one problem,,,,,,,,still trying to find the right inner tube magazine. Been looking for over a year.

17. c3shooter

BVAL, have you checked with Cheryl Havlin?

18. BVAL

BVAL New Member

C3Shooter,

Looked on their website the other night, but did not see or find anything. Sent them an e-mail request to get ahold of me if they have one.
    Many thanks C3 for showing an interest in my search.

19. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Awesome. I wish i had some history with one like that. I don't have any family guns. In fact, I'm probably going to end up buying my father HIS first gun, haha.

20. BVAL

BVAL New Member

1-2-14 Havlin just got back with me, they don't have the tube magazine. She said for me to keep looking on eBay and gun broker at least once a week, that maybe I would get lucky. Boy would I like to shoot some 22 shorts out of this rifle other than doing it as a single shot. C3, if ya heard anything out there about this part, how about a shout back at me, with many thanks given now for the help. And Happy New Year to you!