my Marlin 60 build

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Hunterdan, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Figured I would post my build, I am pretty much done with it for now. Eventually I will probably add an upgraded trigger and trigger guard.
    Specs:
    New Marlin 60
    Boyd's laminated stock
    BSA sweet 22 scope 3-9x40
    UTG bipod

ForumRunner_20120229_145236.jpg

ForumRunner_20120229_145247.jpg

ForumRunner_20120229_145313.jpg

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I love the look of those laminate stocks.

3. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Right after I got the gun I was looking around at stocks for it since the factory one wasn't the best fit for me. I found Boyd's and fell in love with them. I was thinking about going with the thumbhole stock, but I know too many lefties that might want to shoot it. Plus it kind of prefer the traditional style. Hoping to get to the range soon to punch some paper and see what it does. Hoping to hit golf balls at 100 yards cconsistenty with it.

4. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

How do you like the Boyd's laminated stock? I was considering getting a basic Marlin 60 with plastic stock then upgrade it with Tech-Sights and a nice stock.

5. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I love it. It fits and feels great compared to the factory one. It does require fitting it to the tube magazine. The sling studs were too long so I had to cut some of the threads off to keep it from hitting. If you have a router, it's really easy to trim for the tube, I used a dremel with a router bit. It worked but isn't the prettiest. But you can only see it if you're looking down the barrel. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Even considered upgrading my Ruger M77.

6. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

Hunter,

Thanks for the info about the Boyd's stock. I do have the tools or skills to route a channel for the tube, so I'll look for another option.

7. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Um...if you didn't use a Marlin-type front swivel stud that uses a nut...you probably won't wanna put much pressure on the sling...
    Many long-term members of other sites have reported that the studs can pull out, since the cut-off threads mean you don't get enough grip.

You can order the proper sling stud with flat nut thru Marlin or from Uncle Mike's (i forget the part #)...
    but Marlin's got 'em :)

Its worth $10 ;)
    Besides...the last thing ya want is to have your sling stud pop out when you're climbing something...or walking over a bridge...etc...

8. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

The sling studs are bolted in place. They came with a nylock nut, but swapped it out for a lower profile nut. I will look into the style you mentioned if it gives me more clearance.

9. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

10. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Thanks for the link. I will probably order. Just itching to get some trigger time on it. The gun looks so good I hate keeping it locked up out of sight. Might have to build a shelf to display it on.

11. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

Nice looking 60!!!

12. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Finally got to sight it in this weekend. This gun is a blast to shoot and is accurate. Sighted in using cheap walmart federal bulk. At 100 yards I was picking off spent shotgun shells. I lined up about 7 in a row and picked off each one one shot at a time. Later I tried shooting for groups at about 25 yards. I put 15 shots in a hole the size of a quarter. Really impressed and can't wait to shoot again. For what it's worth, the winchester wildcat seemed to shoot better than the federal.