My LR308 build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by russ, Dec 16, 2010.

1. russ

russ New Member

This isn't a full build, as I bought the upper complete and only built the lower. This is my first build outside the .223/5.56 realm, so I learned a few things I didn't know before. I used a CMMG MK-3 lower. It accepts DPMS pattern uppers and mags, and will use a DPMS parts kit as well. It turns out that in the DPMS based .308 world at least, most of the lower parts are the same as the AR15 parts. The only differences are the takedown pins, the bolt catch, and the bolt catch pin. So I didn't take pictures of the parts that are the same as the AR15, since there are plenty of good write ups on that already. So, without more babbling from me, here are the different points or things I found interesting.

1. Threaded bolt catch pin. I love this. I hate pounding the roll pin into a brand new receiver, this is much better.
    [​IMG]

2. Semi-captured detent pin. This made putting the pivot pin together a snap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Takedown pin spring and safety selector spring both retained by grip.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  2. russ

russ New Member

Lower receiver:
    [​IMG]

And here's the finished rifle.
    [​IMG]

I went to my buddy's house this past weekend to function test and break it in a bit. He has roughly 200 yards to shoot behind his house with a nice bench that he built.

View from the bench:
    [​IMG]

Last five shot group:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I get more consistent as I shoot it more. Three shots I'm pretty proud of for a first outing, two I'm not so sure what happened. Either way, fun afternoon with a new gun. You can't beat that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Were you shooting at 200 or 100?

The rifle turned out great. Doesnt that set screw bolt catch kick butt? THey all should be that way.

4. russ

russ New Member

Thanks mjkeat.

The screw pin does kick butt and they should all be that way.

That was 100 yards.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good shooting. I forgot to comment on how perfect that range set-up is.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Really excellent photo and documentation work Russ. Thank you for posting.

As with any new weapon, it's going to take a bit to get her dialed in, but I think that 3 shot group is a very good sign of things to come. We all have flyers at times, but when you can see 3 that nice and tight on your first outing, you know you have a stick with potential.

Very well done!!

JD

7. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Great looking rifle! Nice 100 yard group for the first time out too. That thing will be a tack driver once the barrel is broken in and a load work up is done!