My latest project

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by robocop10mm, Apr 1, 2010.

1. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought a Lyman Foster slug mold (7/8 oz). I cast up some last night (virgin lead) and loaded a few. Federal compression formed slug hull, 46 gr Blue Dot, 1 BPGS, a 1/2" fiber wad, a 1/4" felt wad, 1 over shot card under the slug and a roll crimp. Book says I should get 1580 fps. I will play with the loading a bit and bring some to Lon's meet and greet.

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sounds like a nice setup. :cool:

3. deth502

deth502 New Member

how did you do the roll crimp?

the old antique reloaders with the hand crank on it, or is htere some new method to do them now?

4. robocop10mm

Roll crimp tool from Ballistic Products. Attaches to an electric drill. Uses heat/friction to roll the mouth. Pretty easy.

5. robocop10mm

I got to wring out about 30 rounds of the slugs at Lon's. They were very good for the first 20 or so and accuracy went to hell. I discovered severe leading when "trying" to clean the barrel. :( My next order is for Mylar wraps to see if I can shield the barrel from the soft lead.

The first 20 were tearing the target up off hand at 100 yards. The near misses were leaving large holes in the wet sandy loam backstop. The holes were pretty impressive even when viewed from 100 yards away. :eek:

6. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Just thinking out of the box but what about a revese patch like in a patched round ball but the patch going over the top then rolled crimp.
    F.K.

7. robocop10mm

This also may be an option. The Mylar wraps roll up and drop into the hull. They spread out on their own. I will just have to be careful the slug sits inside the wrap and does not collapse it.

8. RedWineKline

RedWineKline New Member

a few questions

A buddy and I were looking to go in on some bulk ammo and I brought up the point every shooter gets to eventualy with today's prices... how much would we save if we started reloading on average?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  9. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

With 9 mm not much of a savings but 44 mag I save about $0.75 a round same as with riffle rounds plus your time. I like reloading because you can get the most acuacy out of your gun.
    F.K.

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Sounds like a good time. I've always been curious about reloading slugs but I've never done it.

11. robocop10mm

I don't save any money by reloading. I can now afford to shoot when ever I want and as much as I want and not worry about price. I get to shoot ALOT more than if I had to buy loaded ammo. I can get creative and "play" with different loads to find the one that meets my needs whether the needs are max velocity, max accuracy or minimum $. I can "stock up" on ammo with out breaking the bank.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I can reload 9mm for about $4 a box. But, I pour lead. So I don't buy bullets. I like reloading because of the versatitlity. It's like Robo was saying. I shoot a lot of 44 mag. But I will sometimes load 44 special pressures into 44 mag cases. That way it doesn't build up crud at the end of the cylinder. I always clean my guns right away. But it really is easier. You would be surprised how much more acurate you can make ammo than the factory does.

There is no way I could shoot 50 rounds of 44 mag and 50 rounds of 45 auto every week without reloading. At least not if I want to stay married. LOL.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Robo, Have you tried sabots yet? I am looking at a 20ga w/ a rifled slug barrel for my son and reloading maybe in the future.

14. robocop10mm

I don't have a rifled shotgun barrel and no plans to get one so that would be an exercise in futility for me. In the Great State of Texas we are not restricted to shotguns for deer harvesting.

15. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I think that this may have been one of yours.

Attached Files:

16. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I was impressed by the loads Robo was letting go at the Tx.Meet.I haven't seen too many smooth bore shotguns,needless to say a Saiga 12,shoot slugs with the accuracy he was having at 100yrds. Good job,Robo.

And Thanks again for the cast bullets you gave me,I'll be loading some up in the next week or so. THB

17. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Robo, give me a shout when that Mylar comes in and you get some of those shells made up.